public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:59 am 

She Grew in Her Career as a Dancer, Maybe Too Much. Cue the Lawyers.
By Sarah Kaufman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, June 12, 2006; Page C01

MIAMI

Quote:
Alice Alyse is quite plainly a bombshell, a knockout: She's slim, leggy and gorgeous, with long, dark hair and a great set of cheekbones.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/11/AR2006061100966.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:07 am 

Geez, this again, I guess Sarah Kaufman doesn't have too much to write about these days now that the Washington Ballet dancers are back to work.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:00 pm 

Since we don't have any facts here, I'm reluctant to come to any conclusion. However, these cases are generally taken on contingency, so the dancer's lawyer must think it's worth his effort to file. He would not do that if there were really no evidence.

Lawsuits are generally filed for the maximum amount allowed by law. There is likely no expectation on either side of a $100M settlement (or anything close to it).

There is little incentive to settle this kind of dispute without a lawsuit because the suit process allows for a "discovery" --- and lawyers don't want to reach a settlement until they know all the facts they're allowed to know. These generally settle after discovery because no one wants to take a chance on a jury.

Finally, I must say that the things I've observed men doing routinely in the dance world would get most men sued and fired in a normal corporate setting. The dance world IS actually subject to the same workplace laws as any other industry. My guess is she has a leg to stand on, but it's the kind of thing that has been unquestioned so far among dancers. If she prevails, it could improve working conditions for many.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:32 am 

citibob wrote:
Finally, I must say that the things I've observed men doing routinely in the dance world would get most men sued and fired in a normal corporate setting. The dance world IS actually subject to the same workplace laws as any other industry. My guess is she has a leg to stand on, but it's the kind of thing that has been unquestioned so far among dancers. If she prevails, it could improve working conditions for many.

You are very correct in your statement about the dance world/industry being subject to the same laws and regulations that any other workplace in the USA is. It kills me time and time again when I hear AD's or people in authority try and rationalize not re-hiring or diciplining a dancer because of things like weight, appearance, or looks. It is DISCRIMINATORY, plain and simple and there are federal laws/regulations in place that prohibit these kinds of actions by employers. Most dance companies' corportate structure is granted through a federal tax filing status of "Not For Profit" or 503 which they gladly solicit funds to operate under. However, when it comes to abiding by federal laws and regulations governing discrimination in the work place that all just goes out the window under the age old umbrella excuse of "artistry". You can't have it both ways. It is dispicable that the few labor organizations out there governing dancer contracts actually allow the kind of language to be written into the existing agreements that allow "Weigh Ins", and "Dicsiplinary Action" to be taken including monetary fines or dismissal when a dancer falls out of their "weigh in" amount.
Now, regarding the case of Movin Out it seems quite clear what is going on. "Out of court settlement", plain and simple. Time will tell though. I guess we have to wait for the next Kaufman article to be written, which shouldn't be too long because not much else is goin on up there in DC :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:28 pm 

I think it’s a great story! It might just turn on some new dance fans! How could the Post resist? It’s not often you’re fired for having boobs too big! I posted this before but just can’t help posting the below alleged quote from the Production Manager, Eric Sprosty, once again:

Quote:
“Your boobs are (Fokine) huge! …We hired you at a size C and now you’re a (Fokine) D! You have to lose them now!”

Below is a sad quote from the article:

Quote:
She says that as much as she loves dancing, she could not accept surgically altering her body for it.

Is this :roll: the reality of life :roll: in the world of Modern Dance, ballet or Broadway? I’m on her side! You go girl!!! You can read the 42 page lawsuit HERE! For some views of this bosomy beauty click HERE and enjoy! :wink: :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:47 pm 

Just for the record, the world of Modern/Contemporary dance is generally tolerant of body type. You see this in performance and I remember a "Marie Claire" article on the theme of body fascism in ballet schools, in which two students who had acquired eating disorders at ballet school, switched to contemporary dance; they recovered their health and prospered under the different aesthetic.

Around 10 years ago, I remember the Head of a London ballet school telling a TV documentary team: "What the companies want is not thin, it's skinny, skinny, skinny."

Sadly, our eyes, including mine, have been trained to want "skinny, skinny, skinny", especially for the unison work common in ballet and show dance.

Last edited by Stuart Sweeney on Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:37 am 

The above story proves there needs to be some governing body for dance companies to answer to.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Did anyone read the lawsuit
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:41 pm 

If what she alleges is true...and I suggest you read the entire lawsuit. Then she does deserve some serious compensation. It has very little to do with the "big boob" issue although that is what the press has promoted, the company and their insurance company did not help her to get the care she needed for a serious injury (that required surgery) she incurred while touring with the company. She had to get a lawyer involved to get them to finally process her claim and allow the surgery!
There were many witnesses to the harassment and the two main witnesses were fired shortly after reporting the event. If even half of what the lawsuit claims is true, then she was treated despicably

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:26 am 

I’ve been busted! I was obviously a deer caught in the headlights blinded by the more titillating aspects of the story! :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:56 am 

Quote:
For some views of this bosomy beauty click HERE and enjoy!

I tried to check out the pictures but in all of the photos she has a shirt or something on :P :lol:

Quote:
How could the Post resist?

Good point :roll: , how could a literary tour de force like the Washington Post possibly resist such a luring piece of investigative journalism that stimulates the mind's of its readers like this one, truly an award winning article to add to their archives.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:17 am 

Great pointe! :lol: Upshur Woodward and Carl Bernstein must be devastated knowing their Watergate has now been washed away by the sandcastles of time! I wonder if Alice Alyse has tapes of what was said about her bosom :?:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:14 pm 

:D :D :lol: :lol:
Now I am laughing out loud!
Long live the Washington Post!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:13 pm 

I can see Alice ‘In Wonderland’ Alyse dancing away with a cool million when all this is over proving the only way to make real money in dance is to sue. She should give Kimberly Glasco a call.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:30 am 

How right you are. one certainly could argue that the only way to make money in dance is either be old and try to keep dancing, or, :D :D "BREASTS" :D :D , HA!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:08 pm 

This whole issue is NUTS! What is it with men’s obsession with boobs? Usually men complain they’re not BIG enough. Now they’re too BIG! Give me a break! I could envision a dancer reducing her bosom for one choreographer and then getting them blown up for another. If you can dance, it shouldn’t make a difference how big or small your bosom happens to be. I really hope Alice Alyse hits the jackpot with her lawsuit.

Profile E-mail