public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Serious Adult Ballet in the Bay Area
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:32 pm 

Hello,

I am new and I was wondering if someone could help me out or at least point me in the right direction. I am an adult who lives in San Jose and always wanted to do Ballet. I took it once in college but couldn't continue because I got too busy. I am frusterated because I want to study Ballet seriously. When I say seriously I do not necessarily mean to be a professional (I'll be 29 in july so I don't think that will work anyway), but I want to learn the art form with a good teacher and a good studio.

It seems that no one takes a beginning adult dancer seriously because the attitude is "well you're not going to be a professional anyway so it doesn't matter." The only thing I can say is, "Yeah......Sooooo???" Most little girls are not going to be professional either, but that still does not mean that we should not take up a hobby or skill and perfect it as much as possible. If an adult of 32 decided to take up martial arts training, they are not treated like it's such a "cute endeavor" but the teachers teach in a serious and disciplinary fashion. Why should Ballet be any different?

Can any of you help me out? Does anyone know of any good and serious teachers or studios around here in the Bay Area, I'd prefer San Jose. I am trying to research but I am not that knowledgeable about good teachers or schools so I would appreciate any help you can give me. I do not want a teacher that treats this as a "here's a great way to get fit" mentality. This is very annoying to me. Thank you all in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:23 pm 

Hello, A_Dance_4_U, and welcome to CriticalDance! I believe that most of the teachers who teach adult ballet in Bay Area schools take their adult dancers very seriously. This has been my experience. There are good adult classes throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. In San Jose, where you are particularly interested, there is the school of Ballet San Jose. I've posted a link to their school, where you can "click" on adult ballet and learn more. http://www.balletsanjose.org/School.htm

Also, there is excellent adult ballet in Mountain View. Here is the link to Western Ballet School: http://www.westernballet.org/ I personally know Augusta Moore and Marilyn Trounson, and I can't recommend them highly enough!

Good luck and happy dancing!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:24 pm 

Hello Gina,

thanks for the links. I know about balletsanjose, I just cannot figure out if it's a what they call "Dolly Dinkle" school or something else. It's frusterating that all these places have adult ballet only once a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:28 pm 

San Jose Ballet School is not a "Dolly Dinkle" school. They offer three possiblities for you during the week (one Beginner/Intermediate and two Intermediate). You've studied ballet a bit, so you wouldn't be a complete beginner and could probably handle Intermediate...Mountain View Ballet School has four beginning classes in the A.M. as well as floor barre on three mornings weekly. They offer Advanced Beginning two evenings a week. Between the two schools, there should certainly be something more than once a week for you...?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:20 pm 

Hello Gina,

the reason why I said that was because I have no clue what "Dolly Dinkle" is and I have a very underdeveloped sense of discernment when it comes to ballet schools as I am really not that experienced.

I am not even remotely intermediate, I wished I was but not yet. I studied ballet a bit, but very little bit. I was 22 when I started, but I only took it one quarter and was not able to continue. I am almost 29 now, so I would definately need to start at the beginning, and that's why I was frusterated because most of the schools only have adult beginning ballet once a week and I don't have time to drive around to many different places.

But the Mountain View and the San Jose Ballet seems to be very fitting because I also found out that San Jose city college also offers adult beginning ballet twice a week. and Augusta Moore can do private lessons. So between all these things, I should be able to do ballet at least four times a week.:) So, thanks for the help! Now my next step is money.:( But that will work out I'm sure.;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:15 pm 

Great! :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:24 pm 

May I just add, from personal experience, that Ballet San Jose has a strong school all around and the adult division is taken seriously. You'll find a great group of adult learners there as well a terrific faculty. My best advice is to find a class you like and will attend regularly so that you benefit best from the training. Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:19 pm 

Hello,
It is so refreshing to hear of someone my age who wants to take up dance. I can't even mention my desire to learn to dance to my closest friends b/c they would laugh their a## off. I too am having trouble finding a dance studio that teaches adult ballet or takes me seriously. Most of the studios around here announce "adult" classes but the age range is from "10 and up"! So, I'm thinking of taking bellydancing, but I still want to learn ballet. Good luck with everything!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]