public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:54 am 

Thanks, fedora - looking forward to your full report.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:11 am 

From the Kirov, A Bright and Buoyant 'Giselle'
By Sarah Kaufman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, June 19, 2006; Page C01

Quote:
If the Kirov Ballet's first program at the Kennedy Center Opera House had been overwhelmingly dark (four tense modern works by William Forsythe), its final offering was all about light. Light spirits, a light-drenched decor and weightless dancing combined for an unusually satisfying production of the full-length ballet "Giselle," which the company performed last weekend.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/18/AR2006061800975.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:08 am 

The New York Times goes crazy for Daria Pavlenko:

A 'Giselle' Evokes the Kirov of Yesteryear
By JENNIFER DUNNING
Published: June 19, 2006

New York ballet fans might have been forgiven for wondering if they had wandered into the Metropolitan Opera House by mistake when the Kirov Ballet performed "Giselle" at the Kennedy Center.

Quote:
Daria Pavlenko, the evening's Giselle, danced the betrayed peasant of the first act with a clean, thrusting attack that suggested a more than passing familiarity with Western choreographers, whose work the Russian company has taken into its repertory in recent years.

But just as the temptation grew to regret once more the loss of the rich distinctions of national ballet styles, Ms. Pavlenko transformed herself into a living facsimile of a 19th-century ballerina in the second act. Dancing together as the ghost Giselle and her mourning lover, Albrecht, Ms. Pavlenko and Igor Kolb were the epitome of fervent yet considered classical partnering in the pure Kirov style, two bodies that had become nearly one.

Read morehere

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:35 am 

Last edited by fedora on Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:06 am 

Last edited by fedora on Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:05 pm 

Last edited by fedora on Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:30 am 

Many thanks, fedora - your detailed comments on a range of performances were well worth the slight wait.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:03 am 

Returning to the Fosythe/Kirov debate, I came across this extract in a review by Clement Crisp, whose views, particularly on non-ballet, I often take exception to. Nevertheless, here he expresses my thoughts exactly, but, with greater eloquence, of course:

From the Financial Times, March 2004:

Quote:
What they [the Kirov] found in Forsythe's choreography was its classic roots and, without destroying its modernity, they reasserted fundamentals and, in so doing, claimed it rightly for their own.

I have been watching and loving the Kirov since its first appearances in the west in 1961. I recall few evenings more significant, more assertive of the troupe's potential and its greatness, than this, and I salute the company's artistry in Forsythe as a logical extension of its grand academic identity.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:03 am 

Returning to the Fosythe/Kirov debate, I came across this extract in a review by Clement Crisp, whose views, particularly on non-ballet, I often take exception to. Nevertheless, here he expresses my thoughts exactly, but, with greater eloquence, of course:

From the Financial Times, March 2004:

Quote:
What they [the Kirov] found in Forsythe's choreography was its classic roots and, without destroying its modernity, they reasserted fundamentals and, in so doing, claimed it rightly for their own.

I have been watching and loving the Kirov since its first appearances in the west in 1961. I recall few evenings more significant, more assertive of the troupe's potential and its greatness, than this, and I salute the company's artistry in Forsythe as a logical extension of its grand academic identity.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:19 pm 

Some very brief comments. I saw all four of the Kirov-Mariinsky Giselles In DC and I thought that they were excellent.

Daria Pavlenko I thought was wonderful! I have seen her several times before and was hoping for a fine perfomance, but never expected to see the "Remarkable Depth" that she gave equally to both of her appearances. Audience response was 'extremely' enthusiastic.

Another quick aside. I saw Diana Vishneva and Vladimir Malakhov in NYC with their Giselle. I thought they were also wonderful! Veronika Part (formerly Kirov) performed Myrtha at the matinee with another cast and I felt her performance was very good. Her "Stage Presence", for me, was incredible!

Waelsung, if you are reading this, I believe you also post at the Mariinka site in Russia. Olga K was asking for opinions about the Daria Pavlenko-Igor Kolb performances. If it is proper and you would be willing, could you possibly forward my very favorable impressions to their discussion. My Russian is minimal at this time and my keyboard knows even less. Thank you very much.

Buddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:35 pm 

I hope that this is permitted here. This seems to be a fairly accurate computer translation of a posting from a Mariinka Forum (Russia) poster, Octavia, who apparently was in DC for the Giselle performances. I found it very 'heart-warming'.

"Generally I understand why Mariinskiye artists they love to arrive into Washington. Hardly there is in the world of the more sincere and open public. In three years of contract, our spectators (in DC) already adopted some traditions Of mariinskogo theater. For example, when leave already (first appear on stage?) artists known to us - they applaud to them, although they carried out still not one motion."

http://www.mariinka.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&start=60

The part in parentheses is by me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:45 pm 

Buddy wrote:
Waelsung, if you are reading this, I believe you also post at the Mariinka site in Russia. Olga K was asking for opinions about the Daria Pavlenko-Igor Kolb performances. If it is proper and you would be willing, could you possibly forward my very favorable impressions to their discussion. My Russian is minimal at this time and my keyboard knows even less. Thank you very much.

Buddy

Done. And I also took this opportunity to add a brief comment with my impressions - I saw the first Pavlenko's performance and absolutely loved it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:12 am 

Thanks, Waelsung!

I would also like to say in regard to Octavia's very kind comments, which I referred to above, that I have experienced very warm audience responses to fine ballet performances in Russia, England, France, Switzerland and other U.S. cities as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:22 pm 

Hi Buddy,

Thanks for sharing your State-side impressions.

I cannot tell you how thrilled I am that Daria Pavlenko received such a warm welcome in the States, by both audience and reviewers alike.
This is much her due and much overdue, and I hope it continues.