public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: good ballet lessons in Sydney??
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:54 pm 

Hi!
I am moving to Sydney in June because of my father's job.

I am looking for a good ballet lessons in Sydney.
Is there anyone who has recommendations?
At the moment I am dancing ballet around 25 hours a week.
I am 14 years old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:12 pm 

Hello and welcome, take! Well, you are serious about your dancing if you are studying 25 hours a week! There is a lot of great ballet in Australia. One of the best schools is the Australian Ballet School which is located in Melbourne: http://www.australianballetschool.com.au/message.html There are several CD members in Australia. Perhaps spangles or failli will see your message and give some advice. If I were you, I would contact the Australian Ballet School and ask them which school in Sydney they would recommend. Dale Baker (a former colleague of mine for a brief time) is on the faculty there which tells me (along with my viewing of the website) that this is a good school. He was an awesome dancer and (I can imagine) a great teacher. It's a place to start, anyway! :) Good luck!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:10 am 

Thank you, Gina!
I know about Australian Ballet School and would like to apply for Audition this summer. But I understand that the school is very prestigious and very difficult to get in.
I also have heard about Newtown high school for performance art in Sydney. They also have Auditions in June for next year students.
All information is very helpful, as I (nor my parents) know nothing about schools in Sydney.

I am also interested in some ballet lessons in Sydney, which you can attend after school or school holiday.
In Europe we have long summer vacation and most of ballet students take 3 to 4 weeks intensive summer course in some country. I am going to miss that this summer and I would like to have such lesson right away when I arrive there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:45 am 

In my opnion, best schools in NSW include:

Marie Walton-Mahon Dance Academy
Ecole Ballet Studios
North SHore Dance Academy
The Conlan College
Brent Street Studios
Tanya Pearson

please let me know if you are wanting phone numbers etc.

Love Spangles :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:25 pm 

Are the Hallidays still teaching in Sydney? My two best teachers trained with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:46 am 

Thank you, Spangles!
I'd love to get more information such as tel, address or website if you already have it. Otherwise I maybe can find out in internet.
If all of them have similar and good standards then I would like to choose which has convenient location for me!

I wonder if anyone knows about Newtown high school of the performing art in Sydney. It is a public school and have dance faculty. If anyone knows anything about school or anyone who is/was a student at this school, I’d love to hear from you!

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:34 pm 

Hi there.
Where abouts in Sydney will you be living?

web address for Newtown: www.newtown-h.schools.nsw.edu.au

Re: Hallidays - I do believe that they have both retired but please do not quote on that one. I do know that they were incredible teachers and that their students were all of the highest calibre. Would love to hear if they are still teaching. (i shall research some more and get back to you on that one) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:52 am 

I used to live not far from Newtown High School for the Performing Arts - and I knew several of the teachers there. They have a lovely little theatre where a lot of (fringe) dance performances happen. However, they focus on acting, and their dance curriculum tends to the contemporary (Australian /English English for US English Modern).

I think anyone with serious aspirations for a classical dance career would need to go to a private dance studio afdter school hours. However, the main end of high school national exams (the Higher School Certificate) has Ballet, Dance, and Dramna as subjects you can study for matriculation into University.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:40 am 

Hi, there!
I have been doing lots of exams last two weeks!
Thanks a lot for your very very valuable information, Spangles and Redbookish!
We have not decided yet where to live in Sydney but I suppose we try to find a place not far from the Sydney University or so called north shore.
I contacted the Ecole Ballet Studios and received information, too. They have full time course as well! So they are so called pre-professional school like a National Ballet School but private?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:28 am 

Ecole do have a website but by now you are probably living here in beautiful Sydney? Please share with us all your experiences. I for one would love to hear where you ended up studying. cheers :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]