public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: modern or jazz?
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:26 am 

Next year i'm coming to study in the US and, although I will hopefully be able to take both these courses, I may have to choose between beginners modern and beginners jazz.

So to put it simply, which do you think would be better? which is more "fun"? or does it depend too much on the teachers?

thanks in advance

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:53 am 

Alex, how exciting that you will be in the US next year - where will you be studying?

So that people can help with your enquiry:

- what are you seeking from these classes?

- Which style of dance have you enjoyed more when you have seen them on-stage?

- Which style did you perform for your A/L dance and drama?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:16 pm 

Stuart Sweeney wrote:
what are you seeking from these classes?

- Which style of dance have you enjoyed more when you have seen them on-stage?

- Which style did you perform for your A/L dance and drama?

I will be studying at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

1. From the classes I am seeking a basic understanding of the principles of the techniques, with the hope of merging some of them with breakdance, which I currently do. but it's also for enjoyment, I've wanted to take dance classes for ages and now I have the chance to do so.

2. I don't think I've really seen much jazz onstage, the companies I'm more familar with are companies like Rambert and Random who are modern.

3. for my A Level we didn't have technique classes, it was all choreography, but I think what we ended up with was a blend of modern and jazz.

Just a quick question, can the earthy, emotional choreography of M. Graham and the fast paced, energetic choreography of someone like W. McGregor both be classed as modern. If I had the choice I would rather be learning the latter.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:34 pm 

Quote:
Just a quick question, can the earthy, emotional choreography of M. Graham and the fast paced, energetic choreography of someone like W. McGregor both be classed as modern. If I had the choice I would rather be learning the latter.

An interesting point, Alex, as the two styles are so different. Graham technique was the original basis of UK modern dance as, from the mid-60s, both Rambert and London Contemporary Dance Theatre were both based heavily on Graham's work initially. However, both companies adapted their technique classes to suit a wider variety of work and now other techniques dominate the UK scene.

On nomenclature, many in Europe would class Graham as "modern" and McGregor as "contemporary". The latter term is not used in the US as far as I am aware.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:02 am 

Hi Alex...It would seem to me that if you are hoping to incorporate what you learn into your breakdancing, jazz would be more valuable and a better fit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:16 am 

thank you both for your help. I've just registered for all my classes and as far as I'm aware I was successful in getting on both the modern and the jazz courses.

modern on a monday and wednesday, jazz on a tuesday and thursday, should be good!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:40 am 

Alex, when are you coming? Any chance you'll be passing through New York?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:22 am 

I'll be arriving towards the end of August. I think i'll be flying to chicago then to Milwaukee Jeff, but I can't really have a year in the US and not visit New York at some point can I?????? :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:26 am 

Absolutely not!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:09 am 

Hi Alex R.
I agree with Gina that Jazz would be the perfect companion to breakdance.(how are you finding the classes?) I would just like to ad that hip-hop and funk too may be of some value. always fun to combine opposite dance styles also. for example: breakdance/latin american styles. (I am going through a coreographic phase at the moment of combining latin americal/salsa within contemporary pieces. I am currently working on a combination that incorporates contemporary vs tango. great fun. i think the key here is to enjoy what you do, do not be afraid to be creative and step outside of the square and most of all have FUN. good luck with your courses. (also had a look at your exiting website. just trying to work out how I could possibly incorporate fire into a dance routine :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:44 am 

Spangles, your merger of different genres sounds exciting.

One suggestion: if you decide to integrate fire into your choreography, pleasepleasePLEASE get all the proper permits. We want you here on criticaldance for many years to come.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/08/us/08cnd-club.html?ex=1304740800&en=a968779bbcaed16d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:09 pm 

spangles wrote:
Jazz would be the perfect companion to breakdance.(how are you finding the classes?)

breakdance is by far the most fun I have all week.

spangles wrote:
I would just like to ad that hip-hop and funk too may be of some value.

I also am currently taking hip-hop classes here in Birmingham and so do merge the styles a bit already. I believe there's a hip-hop club at UWM too so I'll be joining that!

spangles wrote:
I am currently working on a combination that incorporates contemporary vs tango. great fun.

Sounds wicked!

spangles wrote:
good luck with your courses.

thank you!

spangles wrote:
(also had a look at your exiting website. just trying to work out how I could possibly incorporate fire into a dance routine :twisted:

Try looking at some fire poi videos on the internet, some performers move very well with them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:30 am 

Ugh, well Birmingham have now (on wednesday, 2 days before the end of term!) decided to tell us the restrictions for choosing modules and now I can't take both modern and jazz, so i think i'll just stick to jazz. Why they decided to leave it this late to tell us, i'll never know :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:33 pm 

Oh well that's just great, the jazz course is now full! :(
I guess i'll be doing modern then :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:53 pm 

Hope you get a place, Alex.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next