public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Barbie Live in Fairytopia: The Musical
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:21 am 

Quote:
`Barbie Live' audience all dolled up
by EMILY NUNN for the Chicago Tribune

Honestly, a person would have to be a monster to criticize Barbie after the woman has spent 47 years with no voice, limbs that barely move and -- during her early years - no navel. So it's a good thing that most of the people planning to see the musical "Barbie Live in Fairytopia," featuring the first ever human representation of Barbie, are probably willfully blind to the blond bombshell's shortcomings.

published April 14, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:43 am 

From Terry Byrne in the Boston Herald:
Quote:
http://theedge.bostonherald.com/artsNews/
.... [Eric] Schaeffer is hanging with Barbie and the fairies in “Barbie Live in Fairytopia,” a touring musical production based on the best-selling toy DVD. It arrives at the Wang Theatre for a five-day run tonight.
“I guess it seems like a contrast,” Schaeffer says with a laugh. “But for me, as corny as it sounds, the most important thing is to get kids into the theater.

More...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:07 am 

Hello - Mr Grumpy here.

In his interview, Eric Schaeffer tells us:

Quote:
‘‘But for me, as corny as it sounds, the most important thing is to get kids into the theater. I think I got the call because I did a 34-minute version of ‘Snow White’ at Disneyland, and it was amazing seeing kids react and respond to live theater.”

Yes, I can see that and entry routes to theatre land are important and need to be accessible. But it is so much better when the productions do unexpected things and introduce youngsters to different ways of seeing - Chicken Shed's productions of "peter Pan" and "Alice in Wonderland" do just that.

I haven't seen this production, but the Barbie tie in and the description sound like very standard fare. As I say, Mr Grumpy is sounding off.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:53 am 

From Sandy MacDonald in the Boston Globe:
Quote:
‘Barbie Live!’ is fun but fails to rise above commercial concerns
As ... Laverna, Stacie Bono provides the single most compelling reason for nonaficionados to catch the show: she has so much fun with this cardboard cutout of a part that it almost acquires some dimension. ....

It’s clear that Barbie’s first theatrical venture is more commercial than artistic in intent. But it’s a sad commentary that a product should claim top billing (sole billing!), taking precedence over the people -- the professional, albeit non-Equity actors -- employed to bring the legend to life.

More...

The article notes that none of the performers are named in the program, but there is a lengthy description of Barbie's history. This Barbie commercial is eventually headed to Radio City Music Hall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:37 am 

Quote:
The article notes that none of the performers are named in the program

WHAT!

That's outrageous - let's contact the venue's press dept and ask for clarification. Over here, this is the sort of thing that DanceUK likes to know about and perhaps write a letter to tjhe miscreants.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]