public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:34 am 

Stuart, I dont have any information on DC casting yet. (I doubt, with all going on, the company has even really planned it out yet, but hopefully I'm wrong!) When I hear something, I'll post it here to let everyone know.

My guess off the top would be that Golub will do Giselle as she did recently in her debut with Scherbakov. As for other pairings, not sure...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:48 am 

Stuart, I haven't read this particular forum in a while, does this mean you will be in DC and you didn't tell me?????? :shock:
I and a friend have tickets to the Wednesday night 6/14 the Forsythe program.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:55 am 

Andre, you too, if you are in DC for the Kirov, let me know. DC in June can be very nice, (can also be extremely hot & humid) but the plaza on the top of the Kennedy Center has a wonderful view and a nice breeze!
-Carol

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:18 pm 

Carol,

Thanks for the tips. I am considering catching the whole Royal Ballet run the following week instead of seeing the Kirov now, since they will be in Orange County for a couple of weeks this fall. Did I say how envious I am of you already? :)

--Andre

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:17 pm 

Carol wrote:

Quote:
"...does this mean you will be in DC and you didn't tell me??????"

As if!

I moved a post enquiring about casting in DC from another topic and there's no easy way to do that without the Admin's name by the side.

So, I'm afraid I won't be in DC, but if I am ever there rest assured that I will give you plenty of warning. However, I just realised that I have my next four flights to Tallinn already booked, with two other continental trips arranged between now and the end of October.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:46 am 

Ladies and Gentleman...live from Kennedy Center:

Casting for DC, so far.... (as always, subject to change until curtain time!)

WILLIAM FORSYTHE MASTERWORKS
June 13 at 7:30 p.m.
Steptext: Daria Pavlenko, Igor Kolb, Andrey Merkuriev, Maxim Khrebtov
Approximate Sonata: Elena Sheshina, Andrey Ivanov, Elena Vostrotina, Maxim Tchaschegorov, Ekaterina Petina, Anton Pimonov, Viktoria Tereshkina, Maxim Zyuzin
Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude: Tatyana Tkachenko, Olesya Novikova, Ekaterina Osmolkina, Leonid Sarafanov, Andrian Fadeyev
In the middle, somewhat elevated: Irina Golub, Ekaterina Kondaurova, Sofya Gumerova, Ekaterina Petina, Yana Selina, Ksenia Dubrovina, Andrey Merkuriev, Alexander Sergeev, Mikhail Lobukhin

June 14 at 7:30 p.m.
Steptext: Irina Golub, Igor Kolb, Andrey Merkuriev, Maxim Khrebtov
Approximate Sonata: Evgenya Obraztsova, Alexander Sergeev, Elena Vostrotina, Maxim Tchaschegorov, Ekaterina Petina, Anton Pimonov, Viktoria Tereshkina, Maxim Zyuzin
Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude: Nadejda Gonchar, Olesya Novikova, Ekaterina Osmolkina, Leonid Sarafanov, Andrian Fadeyev
In the middle, somewhat elevated: Irina Golub, Ekaterina Kondaurova, Sofya Gumerova, Yana Serebryakova, Evgenya Obraztsova, Ksenia Dubrovina, Andrey Merkuriev, Anton Pimonov, Mikhail Lobukhin

June 15 at 7:30 p.m.
Steptext: Nadejda Gonchar, Anton Pimonov, Mikhail Lobukhin, Maxim Khrebtov
Approximate Sonata: Elena Sheshina, Andrey Ivanov, Yana Serebryakova, Dmitry Pykhachev, Yana Selina, Anton Pimonov, Ksenia Dubrovina, Alexey Timofeev
Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude: Irina Golub, Evgenya Obraztsova, Ekaterina Osmolkina, Leonid Sarafanov, Vladimir Shklyarov
In the middle, somewhat elevated: Daria Pavlenko, Ekaterina Kondaurova, Sofya Gumerova, Elena Sheshina, Yana Selina, Ketevan Papava, Andrey Merkuriev, Alexander Sergeev

GISELLE
June 16 at 7:30 p.m.
Giselle: Daria Pavlenko - Count Albrecht: Igor Kolb - Berthe: Natalya Sveshnikova - Bathilde: Elena Bazhenova - Hans: Dmitry Pykhachev - Armor Bearer: Maxim Khrebtov - Duke: Vladimir Ponomarev - Myrtha: Viktoria Tereshkina - Two Girls: Nadejda Gonchar, Tatyana Tkachenko - Pas de deux: Ekaterina Osmolkina, Vladimir Shklyarov

June 17 at 1:30 p.m.
Giselle: Irina Golub - Count Albrecht: Andrian Fadeyev - Berthe: Natalya Sveshnikova - Bathilde: Elena Bazhenova - Hans: Dmitry Pykhachev - Armor Bearer: Maxim Khrebtov - Duke: Vladimir Ponomarev - Myrtha: Alina Somova - Two Girls: Nadejda Gonchar, Tatyana Tkachenko - Pas de deux: Ekaterina Osmolkina, Vladimir Shklyarov

June 17 at 7:30 p.m.
Giselle: Olesya Novikova - Count Albrecht: Leonid Sarafanov - Berthe: Natalya Sveshnikova - Bathilde: Elena Bazhenova - Hans: Dmitry Pykhachev - Armor Bearer: Maxim Khrebtov - Duke: Vladimir Ponomarev - Myrtha: Viktoria Tereshkina - Two Girls: Nadejda Gonchar, Tatyana Tkachenko - Pas de deux: Ekaterina Osmolkina, Vladimir Shklyarov

June 18 at 1:30 p.m.
Giselle: Daria Pavlenko - Count Albrecht: Igor Kolb - Berthe: Natalya Sveshnikova - Bathilde: Elena Bazhenova - Hans: Dmitry Pykhachev - Armor Bearer: Maxim Khrebtov - Duke: Vladimir Ponomarev - Myrtha: Alina Somova - Two Girls: Nadejda Gonchar, Tatyana Tkachenko - Pas de deux: Ekaterina Osmolkina, Vladimir Shklyarov

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:11 pm 

Many thanks Catherine.

Stuart, sorry you won't be coming, I had my hopes up!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:37 pm 

Well, seeing those programmes and those dancers, it sure is tempting!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:15 am 

I'm guessing the upcoming performances here this week may be a "test drive" for the Kennedy Center run. As noted in the other thread, on the 23rd Novikova dances Giselle here with Schklyarov, and on the 26th, Pavlenko with Kuznetsov.

Needless to say, it is fantastic to see Pavlenko back from her injury, being cast again and dancing more often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:36 am 

Quote:
The Kirov Ballet Performs Works by William Forsythe at the
by JOHN ROCKWELL for the New York Times

Over the years Mr. Forsythe has developed a highly individual style, energetically abstract, fleet, athletic. Whether his work is everyone's favorite, or whether four such works make a good program for a visiting troupe not steeped in his style, is open to question. But the Kirov program was a canny one, confining itself to work from 1985 to 1996, before Mr. Forsythe embarked on his more recent theatrical experiments, and shunning the gigantic sets he has sometimes favored.

published: June 15, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:47 am 

Oddly, the title of the review sounds negative, but reading the fine print, she says she would see the program again, and she praises Pavlenko for her dancing, along with Kolb, Krebtov and Merkuriev.

Quote:
One Step Forsythe, Two Steps Back for The Kirov
By Sarah Kaufman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Kirov Ballet, which so desperately wants to be thought of as stepping boldly into the new century, instead seemed to be taking a backward leap Wednesday night at the Kennedy Center Opera House.

More: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/14/AR2006061402143.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:24 am 

I thoroughly enjoyed the show. I do agree with Sarah Kaufman that showing all four works may have been too much Forsythe for some, but the Wednesday evening performance had few empty seats. I saw no-one leave after intermission, in fact several more showed up for the finale.
Each work was very different, and in each work the dancers were so impressive with their sharp, clean movement and speed. Wow what speed!

Irina Golub was outstanding in "In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated". Of all the women that night she seemed in a class by herself. I would have thought that the interpretation of this piece would be similar for all companies, since it has no story. But it felt a lot different that the Washington Ballet's performance last year. Perhaps because I knew what to expect, but I thought the Washington Ballet's performance was more exciting. Technically all the dancers were wonderful, but the impact of the piece seemed a little less impressive.
I enjoyed "Steptext", a different interpretation than George Piper Dances, the Kirov presented a softer, more fluid work. As impressive technically, but less darkly dramatic.
Of the four pieces I liked "Approximate Sonata" the least, I don't care for a plinking piano. The piece has a very strange beginning, with Alexander Sergeev slowly and spasmodically walking toward the front of the stage while contorting his face. While athletic to the extreme, the four pas de deux were not quite interesting enough to overcome the music by Thom Willems. Elena Vostrotina in the 2nd pas de deux moved her leg in such a way that did not seem humanly possible, I would swear her leg was dislocated from her hip.

The audience obviously felt the same as I, and each work garnered lots of Bravos and both "Steptext" and "In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated" has multiple curtain calls.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:53 pm 

Corrival, thank you for your post and the comments on the Forsythe program.

It's always interesting for me to hear impressions of those who see the Kirov stateside in the works I'm seeing here in St P. It sounds like it was rather well received all around which is encouraging; interesting too to compare it to the local (Wash Ballet) company. (When I was in DC years ago, Forsythe was not in their rep -- so it must have been one of Septime's additions?)

I am anxious to hear about "Giselle" as well! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:50 am 

Quote:
A 'Giselle' Evokes the Kirov of Yesteryear
by JENNIFER DUNNING for the New York Times

But just as the temptation grew to regret once more the loss of the rich distinctions of national ballet styles, Ms. Pavlenko transformed herself into a living facsimile of a 19th-century ballerina in the second act. Dancing together as the ghost Giselle and her mourning lover, Albrecht, Ms. Pavlenko and Igor Kolb were the epitome of fervent yet considered classical partnering in the pure Kirov style, two bodies that had become nearly one.

published: June 19, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Kirov at the Ken-Center
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:18 am 
Hi guys,

I saw Giselle on Satturday. All I am able to say now is that Kirov' corps is the Eighth wonder of the world.
For the complete story, please stay tuned!