public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:32 am 

Toba Singer wrote:
Yes, the record should be correct. On the subject of accuracy, I have been wondering about Boutique Fantastique versus Boutique Fantasque. Both words appear in my Larousse, and seem to have essentially the same meaning. Which appeared in the original title--do you know?
I can't vouch for what it was originally, but at least when I was a kid, in the '50s, my mother's old souvenir programs, which were even older, always listed the ballet as "La Boutique Fantasque".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:44 pm 

A little blurb about the company in this article from the SF Chronicle. Scroll down a bit.

Click here for article

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:39 pm 

Diablo Ballet

‘Who Cares?’ ‘3 A.M. Suite,’ ‘Pas de Quatre et Pas de Six’

March 24, 2005 – Dean Lesher Regional Center for the Arts, Walnut Creek, CA

By Mary Ellen Hunt

Dancers kick in their sleep.

Like catnapping felines, they twitch and jitter as they dream about arabesques and passes, and sometimes they deliver a good swift battement that sends the covers flying.

“3 A.M. Suite,” Viktor Kabaniaev’s restive new ballet sends the ever-intriguing Tina Kay Bohnstedt on a journey through vaguely dreamlike terrain, populated by bodies moving with an ominous undercurrent. Kabaniaev doesn’t sketch out the details of these characters, and there is no need to. Are these people, dream-ideas, the embodiment of worries preying on her inner mind? We may never know, but, in fact the piece seems all the more intriguing for not knowing.

As “3 A.M. Suite” begins, to an insistent, thrumming score created by Sam Chittenden, Bohnstedt is a diminutive figure in space, apparently tossing in her sleep with legs dangling over the orchestra pit and arms writhing in a slow semaphore. Against the expanse of the Lesher Center stage – looking wider than usual with the bare walls, backstage emergency exits and light trees exposed -- Mayo Sugano slips by looking fearless and precise, as does Edward Stegge, who looks exceptional in this clean, modern-ballet style of choreography. Cynthia Sheppard, Matthew Linzer and David Fonnegra lurk in the shadows of the stage, asserting themselves briefly only to vanish.

Kabaniaev’s work looks like it takes cues from the William Forsythe philosophy of pulling the impulse of a step from different areas of the body and creating oppositional lines of movement. Alonzo King’s LINES Ballet delivers a similar effect, but where King’s choreography can often look too introverted and self-absorbed, Diablo’s dancers have turned the focus outward in “3 A.M. Suite,” bringing a layer of added dramatic intensity that is, quite frankly, a little chilling. It lends the perfect feeling of unease to the dreamy theme.

Linzer, who was brightly gallant in “Who Cares?” -- which opened the program -- was dark and mysterious here. And Fonnegra – dancing with Fred Astaire grace in the “Liza” segment of Who Cares?” -- made a understated partner for Bohnstedt in a duet in which every move, every lift, every balance, looked both calculated and inscrutable.

Linzer and Fonnegra, along with Jekyns Pelaez, made handsome partners to Lauren Main de Lucia, Amy Foster and Sheppard, respectively, in “Who Cares?” Diablo Ballet performs a concert version of this George Balanchine crowdpleaser, which includes the duets and solos for three couples, and it makes for a pleasant enough diversion, although it does lack a bit of context.

For all its lightheartedness, “Who Cares?” is not fluff. It demands a certain technical brilliance along with an offhanded delivery and among the women, only Main really served this up in her solo of hair-raising turns to “My One and Only.” Foster needed a bit more lightness in the jumps and beats to match her engaging smile in “Stairway to Paradise,” while the intricacy and speed simply seemed to elude Sheppard, whose footwork was blurry and not well-syncopated in “Fascinating Rhythm.” Still she and Pelaez made a relaxed and likeable couple in the opening “The Man I Love” number. Fonnegra also brought a jazzy elegance to his duet with Foster danced to the title song.

Jazziness is the watchword for Nikolai Kabaniaev’s saucy “Pas de Quatre et Pas de Six,” which closed the evening. After dancing all night, the company gave this signature ballet – a deconstruction of the classical idiom to modern backbeats – a thoroughly energetic push, to the delight of the crowd, who responded warmly to every solo.

Last edited by mehunt on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:52 am 

"Pas de Quatre e Pas de Six" is always a joy, and "Who Cares?" was engaging, but 3 A.M. Suite was powerfully rich, both in subject matter and choreographic expression.

I was able to read the female figure's progress/ascension/metamorphosis in Mr. Kabaniaev's interesting, and clearly composed, alphabet of movement. The skeletal backdrop and almost Felliniesque characters seemed to absorb then re-direct the music. I had never really seen anything like that before. I was fascinated.

Poetic imagery abounded. Much of the coloration reminded me of ancient mural work, faded, yet somehow still vibrant.

Congratulations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:39 pm 

From the San Francisco Chronicle:

Quote:
Diablo Ballet wakes up with stirring '3 A.M. Suite'

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/03/27/DDGF2HTVPN1.DTL

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:20 pm 

Nice review, David. Congratulations! Is this coming to Yerba Buena soon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:58 pm 

Thank you Toba.

The program next week at the Yerba Buena Center - April 5 - is the premiere of Earthquake. Opus for a Table by Viktor Kabaniaev and Pas de Quatre et Pas de Six.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:16 pm 

A good weekend for Viktor Kabaniaev:

The 'troupe' refers to two dancers from the Diablo Ballet Apprentice Program.

Quote:
The Viktor Kabaniaev troupe fares well at 'Celebrate Dance 2006.'

Apprentice Dancers

And an Earthquake mention for Diablo Ballet - scroll down a bit:

Quote:
Two of the major works commissioned to mark the earthquake anniversary will be performed by groups based in Contra Costa County -- although Diablo Ballet's "Earthquake" premieres in San Francisco before its Walnut Creek run.

Earthquake

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:39 pm 

A review from the SF Chronicle:

Quote:
Diablo's 'Go Girls' steals thunder of quake ballet

Michael Wade Simpson, Special to The Chronicle

Kids are cute, that goes without saying. But is it fair to say there's something wrong with the picture when a professional ballet company is upstaged by its student members? more

PS - Excuse the tardiness. I was supposed to cover for LMCtech who nomally does SF papers but I was distracted in NYC.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:44 pm 

Congrats to Viktor!!! Go Girls is a fabulous piece. This is one of those pieces that no one ever gets tired of seeing. (and the dancers never get tired of dancing!) :wink: