public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Twyla Tharp's Movin Out being sued
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:35 am 

Has anyone heard about this? It is all over the news down here in South Florida, partly because the dancer is from here. Apparently one of the former female dancers is threatening a 100Million dollar lawsuit against the production company alleging sexual harrassement. Here is a couple of links;

http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=8363

http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_080131319.html

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/14147236.htm

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:32 am 

$100m? She cannot be serious!

Litigation fever has now spread to the UK. This unbelievable story was in all the newspapers this morning:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=16846524%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=%2d1million%2dclaim%2dfor%2d%2dfarty%2dchair%2d%2dteacher-name_page.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:49 am 

Quote:
Ballerina files $100 million lawsuit, saying she was harassed in Movin' Out
by IHOSVANI RODRIGUEZ for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Miami ballerina Alice Alyse claims her troubles began in 2004 when a fellow dancer with sweaty hands dropped her during a Los Angeles performance of Billy Joel's Broadway hit show, Movin' Out.

This week, Alyse, 29, filed suit, saying a couple of show managers ridiculed and harassed her, largely because they had to find a new set of costumes to fit her.

published: March 22, 2006
more...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:21 am 

Whether or not the amount claimed is appropriate, I hope this action means that conditions improve for dancers in touring shows. We have a had a few horror stories here over the years.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:51 am 

I think there is more to this than just big boobs. If she was not dancing well or had really changed size then management would have to give her time to fix the situation. I am sure that the contract calls for something like that. If the dancer does not, then I think that management has every right to let someone go.

With her new shape I am sure that she could get plenty of work. Remember the Chorus Line song "Dance 10 Looks 3"?

My thought is , it's not the boobs.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:17 pm 
As she points out, it isn't about the money, its about justice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:05 pm 

Quote:
Your boobs are [expletive] huge. We have to change all of your costumes," were Sprosty's alleged remarks. "We hired you at a C and now you are a [expletive] D. You have to lose them now!"

She claims Sprosty continued to harass her and male dancers grabbed at her. When she complained, things only got worse, the lawsuit claims.

Alyse said she re-injured her toe almost two months after her initial return to the stage when a male dancer wearing combat boots accidentally kicked her during a performance in Iowa. The show's managers argued Alyse was faking her injury and set a March 14 deadline for her to return.

The above are very serious allegations. Alice Alyse might just win given that it is the USA-infamous for rewarding obscene settlements. I wonder if she has video or audio evidence of the above? In this day and age, it wouldn’t be that hard to obtain.

Click HERE for an image of this dancing beauty.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:11 am 

I wonder if the lawsuit would have been initiated if it weren't a touring Broadway show...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:43 am 

Well, there's no point in suing someone who can't pay....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:57 pm 

This lawsuit is ridiculous. This is probably the real story.

Dancer is suspended so she can fix an "issue". She doesn't fix the "issue" and is fired. She can't sue for that, so she makes up a story based on a flippant remark made by an exhausted and overworked wardrobe manager.

As a seamstress I know that it is easy to take in a costume, but it is close to impossible to let one OUT on tour without a full costume shop facility. I would have been PISSED at her too for gaining so much weight her boobs balooned up. Or any other part of her body for that matter. But any company in America knows better than fire someone for THAT, because they will get sued. EVERY company already knows that.

Justice has nothing to do with this case. It's all about a dancer's bruised ego and unemployment.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:44 pm 
LMC, I agree with you about the bruised ego fueling this fire but unfortunately it is a situation that could have severe consequences for the production company.

My guess is that they will settle out of court for an undisclosed settlement 8) . We shall see though :? .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:47 pm 

Sorry folks, this last "guest" reply was me. I guess my browser didn't keep the login info for the site. I have had this happen a few times now on this board. The guest thing is kind of a pain :?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:25 am 

Osiris, I agree with you about the out of court settlement. Throw some money at her to get her to shut up. I guess that's one way to get severence pay.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:31 pm 

I remember a clause that we had in a contract stipulating that we could not change the way we looked. I wonder if there was something like that in their contract?

I don't see this going to a trial either. I also don't think this is about justice. It is about money.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:28 pm 

Most performers contracts for big national tours have that stipulation. I would bet the Moving Out contract did too.

Profile E-mail