public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:06 am 

The superlatives continue to roll in.

In the mood for dancing
The musical Billy Elliot is unforgettably brilliant. By Susannah Clapp for The Observer

A line of orange boiler-suits meets a row of tutus. A round-faced schoolboy pulls on a pink skirt and a glitter headband: clawing at the proscenium arch, he tosses his head towards his mate, and, in a Geordie accent, demands: 'Sing it to me, sister.' On a smoke-filled stage, a slender 12-year-old leapfrogs over an adult dancer and spins into the air on a flying machine; he's so constitutionally airborne that you can scarcely tell when he's harnessed and when free. He comes back to earth at the feet of his astonished, rooted father.

The brilliance of Billy Elliot - The Musical, Stephen Daldry's fierce and gorgeous improvement on his own movie, is that it never says anything if it can dance it. It makes its points on its toes. That adult dancer is the older Billy, tugging his younger self away from a mining future.

click for more

Billy Elliott
By Jann Parry for The Observer

The film of Billy Elliot delights ballet-lovers and the musical is guaranteed to give even more pleasure. One of its endearing messages is that everyone can dance: miners, policemen, little girls and growing boys. Peter Darling tailors his choreography to suit each of the three casts....

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:52 am 

Quote:
Lucky strike
for the Daily Tlegraph

In the son of a miner dancing to Sir Elton's tunes, Thatcher and Scargill are finally reconciled.

But what Billy Elliot and its rapturous reception show is that the miners' strike is now, emphatically, a closed book, and that the questions it raised - Who governs? Is the rule of law stronger than militant organised labour? Can the insurrectionary Left ever be defeated? - have all been definitively answered.

published: May 15, 2005
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:18 am 

Quote:
Billy made me blub all over again
by NICK CURTIS for the Scotsman

"The last three songs completely got me again," he says. "When Billy sings the duet with his dead mum, when he sings Electricity about what it’s like to dance, and when the miners go down into the pit singing When We Were Kings... I was blubbing. I didn’t think I would be relaxed enough to give it my full emotions, but from the word go I was away."

published: May 17, 2005
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:09 am 

This girl said 'It's Billy Elliot!' and waved at me
By Damian Whitworth for The Times

Three boys were plucked from nowehere to share the role of Billy Elliot in the new West End musical. How are they coping with the pressures of instant fame?

THE slightly built adolescent wearing jeans and a tutu stands bathed in the spotlight in the centre of a West End stage as a packed house rises to its feet to salute him, cheering and clapping their hands above their heads.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:27 am 

Quote:
A Miner's Son Who Dreams, Then Dances
by BEN BRANTLEY for the New York Times

"Billy Elliot" possesses a sharp and fertile mind that works strategically to keep the tears and cheers coming. It also has blissfully restless legs, thanks to choreography by Peter Darling that turns every character on stage, and by proxy the entire audience, into a dancing fool.

published: June 20, 2005
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:09 am 

Quote:
'Camp' Billy Elliot musical hits wrong note in America
by GENEVIĒVE ROBERTS for the Independent

In a two-page denunciation of the show, Lahr, who has written 17 books on theatre, dismisses Billy Elliot as being riddled with "narrative vulgarities", "thematic bankruptcy" and general "sloppiness".

published:July 6, 2005
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:20 am 

I'm not entirely surprised by Lahr's reaction. When I saw the stage version of "Billy Elliott" I realised that the focus on left-wing politics and the regular, but not interminable use of "bad" language would make a successful transfer to the US difficult. I imagine that even as we speak there are discussions about a sanitised version for Broadway - I hope the producers resist any such dilution of the show's rich brew.

Yes, the songs do lack memorable tunes. However, due to the pithy libretto, they work dramatically. But really! The final curtain call scene has nothing to do with the rest of the production and, full of cliches, is the weakest part. If that's the section Lehr enjoyed the most, he missed the point, more than somewhat.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:41 am 

The Director’s Cut
By Stephen Daldry for Dancing Times

Exactly five years to the month since the film was first shown at the Cannes Film Festival, Billy Elliot – The Musical opened at the Victoria Palace Theatre on May 11. The musical has attracted a great deal of attention from the press over the last two years – from viewing auditions and meeting the first cast of Billys to music launches and hearing the songs performed live by Sir Elton John – and has now won astounding reviews from theatre and dance critics alike.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:25 am 

Quote:
Last dance for a real-life Billy Elliot
by TOM LEONARD for the Daily Telegraph

Now he has had to step down early from the role. At 15 he is just too big to play a 12-year-old, and, more importantly, his voice has broken.

His last performance drew two standing ovations and an on-stage tribute from Daldry. The director points out afterwards that even the ushers and bar staff crowded into the dress circle to watch Lomas's final turn.

published: September 19, 2005
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:34 am 

Quote:
Last-minute stand-in shines as illness hits 'Billy Elliot' cast
by LOUISE JURY for the Independent

And into the breach stepped 13-year-old Liam Mower, who switched from playing his usual role of Billy to take the part of Michael with just one hour's rehearsal.

published: 29 September 2005
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:52 am 

Michael Jackson sees Billy Elliot
From Scotland on Sunday

Controversial pop star Michael Jackson took in the West End musical of Billy Elliot on his visit to Britain.

The singer arrived at London's Victoria Palace theatre in a people carrier and security staff forced a path for him through a scrum of fans and photographers to the building's front door.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:43 am 

Quote:
Billy Elliot prepares to take to the international stage
by CHARLOTTE HIGGINS for the Guardian

It may seem unlikely that an apparently parochial tale about a Geordie boy choosing ballet over boxing during the miners' strike could become a hit overseas, but producers hope it will soon not just be the British who are flocking to see the musical.

Plans are afoot to send the show to Japan, Germany, Canada, Australia and the US. "We want to broaden out the show worldwide," said the show's director, Stephen Daldry.

published: February 23, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:08 am 

Quote:
Colour-blind casting finds new stars for Billy Elliot
by LOUISE JURY for the Independent

"I'm incredibly proud," he said. "The tenacity and determination and courage of these children is almost magnified in children that come from different ethnic backgrounds. It would be morally reprehensible not to choose them. The casting department has never been given any guidelines on the racial background. They respond only to their enthusiasm and talent."

published: February 24, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:30 pm 
I think you are right guys! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:58 am 

Many thanks for your vote of approval, "Guest". It's always good to have the support of an acknowledged authority.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next