public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2001 5:41 am 

This is actually my second post. My first is on the ballet board. Needless to say, I am thrilled to have found this site. As I previously posted, I found this site in my on-going quest to find a copy of the ballet Giselle with Karen Kain and the National Ballet of Canada. Hopefully, someone here will come through for me. It is by far the best rendition of the ballet on video that I have ever seen. <BR>A little about me: I am in my late forties, have taken ballet class, but unfortunately started too late (I was 18). I love watching Ballet, Opera, and Figure Skating. I enjoy mountain biking, reading, embroidery, and history (my major in college). I look forward to many stimulating discussions on this board.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2001 6:01 am 

Hello to you Kathyrufous - welcome to the board - it's a pleasure to have you join us.<P>You and I have many interests in common - history, embroidery, biking, reading, - and oh - did I mention Dance? LOL<P>I have a copy of this tape you are looking for.<P>Once again, welcome.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2001 6:11 am 

Basheva,<BR>You're an angel! My "Holy Grail" quest comes to an end! Is there anyway I can get a copy from you? (I'm quite willing to pay any expenses incurred for your materials as well as time and effort.) Also, I made a quite lengthy reply on the Ballet board to the five favorite dancer thread, but it did not show up. As I'm still quite a web newbie, I may have done something wrong, but I don't know why it didn't post. Any suggestions?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2001 7:17 am 

Hi Kathy and welcome to criticaldance.com from me too. Your post is there now. Quite often after you have posted you have to press the Refresh button at the top of the page. Otherwise your lazy ole computer will use the old page again for speed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2001 7:43 am 

Thanks for the welcome and reply, Stuart. My post on the Ballet Board under the Five Favorite thread is still not there. I have hit the reload numerous times. Are we speaking of the same post? My reply mentions Deborah Hadley and the performance of Giselle in 1972 in SDSU's ampitheater as well as my five faves: Rudolf Nureyev, Margot Fonteyn, Natalia Makarova, Julie Kent, and Johann Renvall.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2001 8:50 am 

Kathy - I saw your post in the Ballet Forum about Deborah Hadley and I replied to it. Sometimes I have to push the refresh button whilst holding down the ctrl key - and sometimes I have to do it several times.<P>If you contact me by e-mail we can discuss getting a copy of the tape to you. I will also get my copy out and view it to make sure it is in good shape.<P>There is no charge for time and effort - only supplies and postage.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2001 9:37 am 

Kathyrufous, a warm welcome from me, too. I just checked it out, and I have your post in the ballet forum, too. Computers are still a mystery to me. I think you have to do some kind of dance to make them do what you'd like them to...<P>And I see you've met Basheva. While I do have a video of that Giselle, it is not a great copy (my husband recorded it on old tape, I think, when it was broadcast). So I'm glad that Basheva has it and is able to provide you with it. <P>I'm happy for you that you've reached the end of your search, that you found criticaldance along the way, and I look forward to your contributions to this board!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2001 11:41 am 

Thanks to everyone for making me feel welcome. As you may have ascertained, I am not of the dance world, and only took ballet years ago in college (early 70's), but as an avid and unabashed balletomaine, the discovery of this board has been a goddess-send. Thanks again to Basheva who has promised to make me a copy of the Canandian Giselle. I just made another post to the Ballet board concerning my favorite ballet videos, and I'm sure when I get the Giselle, it will go to the top of the list. BTW, Nancy, when your copy was made did you tape it from the CBC or subsequent US broadcasts? Just curious. I don't know why A&E or Bravo never rebroadcast Giselle, they run so many other things over and over, but of course the one thing you want to see again, they never show. Go figure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2001 6:26 pm 

Kathy, my copy was from an A&E broadcast, complete with commercials, as I recall. It really did not help the mood: "And now we return to the Mad Scene..." Still, I love this version. My husband and I had seen it live when National Ballet of Canada came to New York many years ago.<P>By the way, balletomanes are "of the dance world" too, IMHO! Glad to have you on board.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 3:21 am 

I'm going to use this "Hello" thread to introduce myself as well.<P>Oddly enough, I found this site thru another site called The Green Room. <P>Apparently someone read my post there asking about websites of interest - especially dealing with the USA and voila - I recieved an email and this site was one of the hyperlinks!<P>I am looking forward to reading, learning and asking questions.<P>Many thanks for all your hard work in putting this site together.<p>[This message has been edited by Ryebred (edited July 30, 2001).]

Profile E-mail