public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Most non-profit directors say they'll be gone in 5 years
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:48 am 

Quote:
Executive directors of non-profits apparently are a disgruntled lot. Frustrated with their boards for being disengaged or unsupportive and irritated with foundations for their changing priorities, 9 percent of them bolt their jobs every year and 75 percent say they will be gone within five years.

More from the Chicago Tribrune

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:43 am 

Here's the link to the 40 page PDF report Daring to Lead 2006.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:33 pm 

This really isn't very good news, but not surprising at the same time. I left for similar reasons.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:13 pm 

We need a major change in the industry. More and more now I see artistic directors who are also executive directors because there isn't enough money or the vision is entirely the artistic director's -- who wants to play second fiddle to that without reward. One artistic director I know in NYC is more honest than most -- she lists herself as both AD and ED.

The bottom line is this system is not working, at least for a lot of people. And if you think about it, we should collectively ponder whether jumping on the non-profit bandwagon works either: no where is "entertainment" or "arts" listed as one of the possible choices for non-profit incorporation in the US. Most dance companies list themselves in the "educational" category. The other choices are religious etc. Think about that: educational...

Just food for thought, neither Momix nor Smuin Ballet is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation, for the wrong reasons I believe. Nevertheless, it proves it's doable without non-profit incorporation.

More later.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:55 am 

It seems a lot of grants are also contingent on a strong educational component in a company: you have to show them that you do lots of community education, especially for children, to get the grant. I'm all for teaching kids and bringing the next generation along, but when I see a company's or performing arts center's community involvement news of which a large part is going to schools and things of that nature, for some reason, I take it less seriously as a serious adult endeavor, even if I know better. And I think this may be partly responsible for the perception of dance as a less than serious art form: it's mostly for kids.

I've forgetten whom I've told this story to already, so forgive me if I'm repeating myself. After watching a dress rehearsal of a major American ballet company, an important donor turned around and asked something along the lines of "So this is their (the dancers') real job?" The point is that many people still regard dance as a less than serious activity, and I have to wonder how that affects dance's ability to raise funds.

--Andre

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:18 pm 

I have to say that the 5 year time limit is applicable to other positions within arts orgs.

Andre commented:

Quote:
after watching a dress rehearsal of a major American ballet company, an important donor turned around and asked something along the lines of "So this is their (the dancers') real job?"

We hear this comment more often then we can believe at our open rehearsals at Diablo Ballet.

Last edited by DavidH on Tue May 02, 2006 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:24 pm 

Quote:
We hear this comment more often then we'd can believe at our open rehearsals at Diablo Ballet.

I get it often myself.

Profile E-mail