public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: I have an idea.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:48 pm 

Since I'm very flexible, it's easy for me to lift my leg somewhere around my shoulder in an a la seconde position... but I have trouble staying in there, which isn't very nice. I look like a weakling!

So I went and thought about this problem for a moment and decided to place some heavy, weighted object like a textbook or a dumbell on my leg while I lifted it.

Of course, I'll have to keep my foot flexed so it won't slide off--unless I want to tie it in place, which would look REALLY ODD but at least I could point my foot. And if I don't want it to slide... UP my leg and hit me in the abdomen, I probably can't lift it higher than ninety degrees.

Unless I go for the tying things to my leg idea. And while I'm grappling with the thought of looking stupid I also realise that it looks wierd anyway, so I should probably go all out and break out the twine. Hee :D.

Is this a good idea, or am I just trying to save some of those really heavy books I've got lying around my house (which I never read) by telling people I use them as weights?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:22 am 

raedyn_l... You seem to be asking about training with weights which might have some benefits that I am not able to address. Perhaps someone else will give you some ideas...

Last edited by Gina Ness on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:00 am 

Hi raedyn! Are you in aballet class, yet? Trying to train yourself in ballet, especially in unorthodox ways, could be unhelpful and perhaps even dangerous.

If you perceive a problem, your best route is to ask a teacher who knows you, your relative strengths and weaknesses. If you're not in a class, yet, you need to find one if you are to make meaningful progress with your dancing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:37 am 

It seems like she is trying to strengthen her leg.

I can't give advice either as to whether this is safe or not, but raedyn_l you obviously have some dedication there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:09 pm 

raedyn_l, you can get wrapround ankle weights pretty cheaply -- just search and/or shop online. It's much easier than tying dictionaries to your legs. Of course, you should consult with your teacher about this.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:28 pm 

Stuart Sweeney wrote:
Hi raedyn! Are you in aballet class, yet? Trying to train yourself in ballet, especially in unorthodox ways, could be unhelpful and perhaps even dangerous.

Er, not to put a damper on your concern, but I wasn't being too serious about that strapping weights to my leg thing :D. (I did, however, mean it when I said I wasn't too strong.)

But don't worry, I'm taking your advice into full consideration.

And thanks for reminding me about the wrap-around weights, djb--I almost forgot about them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:31 am 

There are ankle weights you can wear that I use all the time. They wrap around your ankle like a wristband (for your ankles..) and they have really heavy pallets/sand in them. They come in a variety of weights.

They're great for strengthening, and it sure sounds more practical than books. ;)

[Edit: OOPS...I didn't see someone had already suggested those. Apologies for repeating the same thing. On another note, you'll find that lifting your leg from develope and then holding it at a higher than 90 degree angle for 5, then 10, then 15, then 20 secs.....up to a minute increasing in time every week, a few times a day, will strengthen your legs all on its own. No weights needed. You might wanna do that and THEN move onto weights, to get maximum benefits.]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]