public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Swan Lake question...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:33 am 

Is playing Odette really as hard on the arms as people say it is? I know holding them out behind you is kind of wierd, but I've never had too much of a problem with a "Swan Lake arabesque" (at least for a few seconds).

So, if you've played Odette before can you verify this information? Just a little question I've had buried in the back of my mind...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:53 am 

I never danced the role of Odette, but I have been a swan. The difficulty ("hard on the arms") isn't solely in using the arms. Port de bras initiates from the back. This from Gretchen Ward Warren's Classical Ballet Technique: "As the arms move from position to position, never allow the bones in the front of the shoulders to move forward or up. The integrity of the upper back position must be constantly maintained and isolated from any movement of the arms." Here she is speaking of port de bras in general. Swan Lake "arms" with their sometimes exaggerated positions and stretch make this even more difficult to achieve. And those shoulders have to stay down when the arms are reaching back in that glorious bird wing position.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:22 pm 

Hum. That's very interesting, thank you.

I don't know, port de bras has never been particularly hard for me, even when imitating Odette. Which I do. A lot. :D.

Perhaps it's because I have a flexible back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:09 am 

You're welcome...Well, as I said, it is the "quality, not the quantity" that one strives to achieve...

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]