public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: anatomy and turnout
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:51 pm 

Hi all. this is my first time using this forum. My question regards the anatomy of the hip. Why is it easier to raise the leg higher in a turned out position than in parallel? How is the anatomy of the hip functioning here?

thanks for any replies.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:35 am 

Lilybrado

I am moving this thread to the Students' Questions and Experiences forum, where it is more likely to be seen by the people who can answer your question. Here's the link:

http://www.ballet-dance.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19

Alex

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:47 pm 

I'm not entirely sure, but it probably has to do with the bone and muscular structure of the hip.

For one, I suspect that the anatomy of the hip socket makes it easier to lift when turned out. However, if one pushes turn-out too far, your pelvis gets in the way and so you can't lift your leg up as far.

Muscularly, I'd think that when you turn out, it engages a different set of muscles [i.e. muscles along the outside of your leg], and those muscles tend to be stronger and better adapted to lifting the leg

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:57 pm 

The hip is a ball and socket joint. When the leg is rotated inside the socket, it does "free" the leg to work, "swing" if you will. If you think of how easily the leg moves with swinging it to the front, turning it out allows the leg to do the same to the side. You've probably noticed that there is little swing room to the back -- parallel or turned out. Thus, arabesque! :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]