public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:20 pm 

Thanks for posting this, Stuart. The award was also announced at the very successful opening gala earlier this week.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:06 pm 
Quote:
But not his cheesy surfer boy hair.

A very good example of the level this website has sunk to. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:18 pm 

Welcome to criticaldance, Cupid.

As a criticaldance user, you have the ability to raise the level of discourse to whatever you feel is an appropriate level. Why not share your own insights with us?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:21 pm 

Stephen spent a lot of the last few seasons injured, which is too bad because I also missed him. He was a solid presence. A dancer you could count on to always give a good performance.

I agree with the "smile with my heart" sentiments. That was a highlight of that season.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:46 am 

OK, here's a question. I may be able to see either Program 3 or 2, depending on if there is a day that does not look too crowded (a bit of an irony, I have to hope for a performance that does not have a big crowd although I really want SFB to be successful). Anyway, your opinions, if you had to chose between seeing 2 or seeing 3, what would you all go for? I am leaning towards 3 but willing to hear other views.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:28 am 

Hard choice -- I enjoyed Magrittomania and am very interested to see Tina in Rodeo, but I have to say, aside from Pascal Molat, who I always like to see, I didn't think very much of Spring Rounds. Quaternary is much better and has the added attraction of a duet for Muriel Maffre.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: A tour to NYC just announced
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:33 pm 

From the SF Chronicle

Quote:
Ballet season includes N.Y.

Jesse Hamlin

Friday, March 3, 2006

The San Francisco Ballet will give Mark Morris' "Sylvia'' its Big Apple premiere this summer when the company shows its stuff during a six-night run at New York's Lincoln Center Festival.

In addition to Morris' three-act work, which the San Francisco Ballet gave birth to in 2004, the hometown hoofers also will give New York its first look at two pieces by Ballet Director Helgi Tomasson: "Concerto Grosso'' (which will be featured on the festival-opening bill with "Sylvia'' and a pas de deux from Principal Dancer Yuri Possokhov's "Reflections'') and "7 for Eight,'' which Tomasson set to the music of Bach.

more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:57 am 

From Carolyne Zinko of the San Francisco Chronicle about the company's new Music Director, Martin West, on the trials and tribulations of an orchestral conductor working with dancers:

Quote:
“You can see it in the dancers’ faces if they’re going to do something naughty,’’ said West, who made his season-opening debut on gala night, Jan. 25. “You can’t stop the music, so you have to make it fill out and broaden if they’re going slowly or speed it up to make it fit if they’re going too fast, without anybody in the audience noticing.’’

Dancers do "naughty" things? Say it isn't so!

For more, click here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:11 pm 

Conversely on the same subject, I talked to one of the dancers on tuesday night who complained that the tempos for Glass Pieces were annoyingly fast and that is sort of came out of nowhere without warning or rehearsal at that tempo.

Conductors being "naughty"? Maybe.

Profile E-mail