public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Advice for a complete beginner
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:11 pm 

Hi, I'm 16 years old. I went to see a ballet show quite recently and I've suddenly fallen in love with all things ballet. I'm a complete beginner and I'm nervous about joining classes. I've got a few questions and I'd really appreciate some answers!

1. I'm 5 ft 6, is that too tall?

2. I don't want to become a professional dancer but am I too old to start from the very beginning?

3. Can anyone recommend any good ballet classes in London?

4. I'd really like to read some articles on ballet, could you recommend some?

Last edited by _luthien on Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:05 pm 

Hello, _luthien, and welcome to CriticalDance! (You wouldn't happen to be a Tolkien fan, would you? 8) ) It's wonderful that you have fallen in love with ballet. This is the first ingredient for exploring dance and all it's facets! 1. You are 5 ft. 6 in.? Perfect...2. No, you are certainly not too old to begin your study if you have no professional ballet company aspirations. But, who knows where your study will take you? There are many avenues that ballet can lead to: Modern, Jazz, Musical Theater, etc. as well as a being a great form of exercise and an education to appreciate what you see when you attend the ballet. 3. Someone else will have to help you here as I live in the U.S. :wink: 4. Check out all the forums on CD including the magazine. Lots of great information abounds! The ballet "barre" is what dancers hold onto (lightly!) when they are warming up and working on technique before moving into the "center" during their class. Good luck and don't be afraid to try! You will soon know some basics and won't feel like a "fish out of water". In fact, you might possibly get "hooked"! :)

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]