public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Phantom of the Opera (stage & film)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:21 am 

Quote:
Phantom follower

by the Australian Associated Press

But please, Schumacher says, don't think his visually brilliant new film musical The Phantom of the Opera is riding on the coat-tails of the great success of Moulin Rouge and Chicago.

"What I always felt about Phantom is Phantom has its own life," Schumacher told AAP in an interview.
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Phantom of the Opera (stage & film)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:23 am 

Phantom toasts its 17th year
By Judd Hollander for The Stage

The Phantom of the Opera celebrated 17 years on Broadway on January 26, with its 7,088th and 7,089th performances making it only the second Broadway show to reach that milestone.

The Cameron Mackintosh/Really Useful Theatre Company, Inc production as been seen by more than 100 million people worldwide, with total tickets sales of over $3.2 billion.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Phantom of the Opera (stage & film)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:30 pm 

Phantom of the Opera
By Robert Thicknesse for The Times

The entire population of the world must have seen Andrew Lloyd Webber’s pomp-opera at least three times, so why haven’t I? Well I have now, though I wish I hadn’t. There is no bigger fan of Lloyd Webber’s Jesus Christ Superstar than me and although it’s of its time (1970), it was part of a rethink of the musical that might have led somewhere interesting if the man hadn’t decided to follow his talent down the road of the pre-sliced cheesy tune and soft-rock ballad.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:44 pm 

Well, that's funny he should say that, because I happened to see Phantom for the first time ever a couple of months ago (in London) and spent quite a lot of time looking at my watch as it plodded on. :oops:

There are some nice melodies, but not enough of them, and I found it lacked any moments of humour, unlike Les Miz, which has so many more great songs, sung by a larger number of principals, each as good as the last, and the story's better anyway :wink:

I was so disappointed in Phantom that I walked up Shaftesbury Avenue immediately afterwards and bought a matinée ticket for the next day's performance of Les Miz, which was impeccable, as usual, and it being a wet and 'orrible London day and not all tickets sold, all of us cheapos who'd paid £15 for a view of their heads from up in the Gods got upgraded to excellent stalls seats :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:47 am 

Phantom to smash Broadway records with 7,486th show
By Judd Hollander for The Stage

The Phantom of The Opera will play its 7,486th performance in New York on January 9, 2006, surpassing the record held by Cats and becoming the longest-running show in Broadway history.

The Cameron Mackintosh/Really Useful Group production opened at the Majestic Theatre on January 26, 1988 and has been at that venue for its entire run.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:41 am 

This merely reinforces that which Chorus Line has already demonstrated -- that "longest running" is not the same as "best".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:14 am 

Quote:
'The Phantom of the Opera': Ghosts of a love affair
by MICHAEL COVENEY for the Independent

Lloyd Webber is like the Phantom himself, haunting the theatre and bending the theatre managers and their singers to his will, driven by his enslavement to Christine's voice, enthralled by her beauty and embarrassed by his own beastliness. Lloyd Webber was first taken by Brightman (who had appeared in the chorus role of Jemima in Cats) when he saw her, at the end of 1982, in a children's opera, Nightingale, at the Lyric, Hammersmith, where she was decorating the soaring melodic lines in Charles Strouse's score with spectacular coloratura trills.

published: January 6, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:23 am 

Quote:
Showgirls on Pointe
by J. JENNINGS MOSS for the New York Times

When the casting director for the Las Vegas version of "Phantom of the Opera" held an open call for ballerinas, 50 women tried out for 6 openings. Many of the women had come from Los Angeles just for the chance.

If Las Vegas has long been a draw for dancers, well, they haven't traditionally been seen as the classically trained sort. But that perception seems to be changing, as performers with a formal dance background are finding that the city's pop reviews and musical extravaganzas provides better job opportunities than most major American hubs of high culture.

published: January 8, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:21 am 

Quote:
'Phantom' still haunts audiences
Show is set to become longest-running in Broadway history
by MICHAEL KUCHWARA for the Associated Press

Among those who have found steady employment for nearly two decades are musician Lowell Jay Hershey, who plays the trumpet in the show's orchestra; Thelma Pollard, the musical's makeup supervisor; and George Lee Andrews, one of three actors who have been in the production ever since the curtain first went up in New York.

published: January 5, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:54 am 

Quote:
Phantom outstrips Cats on Broadway
in NZ Herald

"It shows no signs of weakening. It's cropping up in all sorts of places," Webber said. "It's most extraordinary."

It is in production in seven places - London; New York; Budapest, Hungary; Tokyo; Sao Paulo, Brazil; Essen, Germany; and the US national tour.

A new production is scheduled for Taipei, Taiwan, this month, and plans are in place to launch an open-ended Phantom run in Las Vegas.

published: January 11, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail