public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: A dancer's tips & tricks
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:33 am 

Hey there everyone at CriticalDance...Happy New Year !!

I'm putting a folder together of dance related pictures, articals, stretches, movements etc for future reference and I want to put together a section on dancer's tips & tricks!! I've got my tips & tricks but I was wondering about other people.

What I mean by this is things that different dancers do to treat and ease blisters, muscle aches, caring for feet, relaxation etc.
Also, ways of customising clothing, dance shoes that enhance their daily lives.
What should be kept in your dance bag...things to do when your feeling stiff or "down in the dumps."

Do you get my meaning? I'm not asking for medical advice or anything like that just in general !!
Anyone's tips & tricks are greatly appreciated...
Dancer246 xxx :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:06 pm 

Things to keep in a dance bag - I would say for tap dancers a screwdriver to adjust taps, plasters, deodorant, ouch pouches or animal wool or whatever you use to protect the feet enpointe.

For easing muscle aches I feel you can't bet a nice warm bath with some Radox herbal bath salts in!

Happy New Year to you Dancer246.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:40 pm 

Lots of Second Skin Moist Burn pads (for blisters) and adhesive tape to keep it on.

It's the best stuff I've ever put on burning blisters.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:40 am 

I still keep my "footsie roller" in my teacher's dance bag. I carried the same wooden roller throughout my years of professional dancing. Hmmm...Sewing kit, utility knife, and metal rasp for preparing and maintaining pointe shoes...Salonpas for sore muscles...waist elastic for holding up those sweats...cloth tape for the toes...corn pads...bandaids...therabands...mukluks...Oh, dancers' bags carry many strange items! :lol: I have a feeling that many of today's dancers carry iPods in those dance bags...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:12 pm 

Thanks for everyones replies so far, they are very helpful and insightful..I have to say my dance bag has many strange things hiding in it and I am a dancer who carries an Ipod..lol...don't know where I'd be without it...lol !!
Anymore replies much appreciated xxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:33 pm 

Greetings

If you can get a hold of it, Pointe Magazine has a feature in every issue which examines the contents of a professional dancer's dance bag. The column has featured dancers from companies like ABT, NYCB etc. and it's interesting to see how the contents vary...

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:10 am 

Definitely sticky tape to tape in the shoe ties under the vamp to help prevent them from making an appearance (one of my bug bears I am afraid) LOL. also clear nail varnish for those pesky ladders in stockings and a nail file so that one's nails do not get caught and ladder those pesky tights!!!!!!(once the nail has been filed one can then use the clear nail polish to do one's nails - in between classes of course) :wink: and whilst listening to one's ipod ha ha ha

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]