public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: foot cramps
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:32 am 
Hi, i was wondering if anyone gets cramps in their foot when they point to hard and what do they do about it.(not in point shoes till after christmas) This sometimes happens to me and i have an exam in 2 weeks! ..help :? [/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:07 am 

ana ballerina

I know of several people who experience this.

It is important to try and warm the feet up before taking class as this can help avoid cramps. Try risng though the balls of the feet slowly and lowering slowly both on one foot and both so that the inteps are stretched. gently massaging the foot as well before class can also help.

Also concentrate on lengthening the foot while pointing rather than scrunching up the muscles and the toes as that can cause cramping. You could do this as a sort of good toes, naughty toes type exercise before class to concentrate on getting the foot nice and stretched rather than scrunched.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:58 pm 
i get really bad cramp in my 4th toe on my left foot (yeah sounds odd i know) but i just jump up and down on it and its alright. i sometimes take my shoe (usually pointe shoe) off for a second and this tends to help, not sure why.

my dancing teachers always say drinking tonic water and eating crisps helps, but not so usefull in the middle of a dance class :roll:

xxx <3 xxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:33 pm 

I used to carry (and still do!) a "footsie roller" in my dance bag. You can find them in dance catalogs. It's a wooden foot massaging tool that can help if you get a cramp during class. It works well...

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]