public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where Is Home?
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2000 9:13 am 

<BR>Why am I guessing that criticaldance was started in the U.K.? How wrong or wright am I?<BR>Is there a snail mail address for old fashioned correspondence?<P>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Where Is Home?
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2000 9:16 am 

jb_dub, criticaldance.com is virtual -- we are everywhere. Image<P>It really started in the San Francisco Bay Area but is now populated and administered by very interesting folks from around the world.<P>If you want a snail mail address, it depends on what you're sending. Officially, the address is in Foster City in the SF Bay Area in California. Email me if you want the address. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2000 9:18 am 

of course, I went to Who We Are right after posting and read the words "Here in London".<BR>Color me Yanked. (whatever that may mean)<BR>I'd sure like to find a danceboard from my area. It's nice to intellectualize with you Brits, but eventually I'll want to find a partner and do-si-do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2000 9:20 am 

Well, bless my soul. I should've kept on looking. I was reading Stuart's Bio. I'm fast, but I have a short attention span!<BR>I'm in Olympia. It's the water.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2000 3:49 pm 

glad you got THAT sorted out, jb_dub!<P>the all important server is we-don't-know-where (i find this spooky, but no-one else has a problem with it!), azlan is in san francisco, stuart is in london, i am in perth (australia), jennifer is in new york, kevin is in hong kong, shag is in miami, michael montgomery (recent frequent poster) is in paris,... and i have to confess i am a bit vague on where some other people are...maybe they'd like to tell us?<P>meanwhile - WHERE IS OLYMPIA??!!! (haha)<P>but seriously, i don't know...<P>and by the way folks: i thought this topic was some clever person noticing that we'd changed the homepage link at the bottom of the board...so that the word 'Home' now takes you to the front page of the whole site (which i am inclined to forget about, being so busy 'chatting'...sorry again, you guys Image)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2000 3:53 pm 

Amazing. You people are everywhere, as you claim. <P>Forgive my lack of geographical awareness of the less publicised regions of the United States of America, but is there really a city called "Foster City" or is this another of those Australian "beer" jokes?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2000 10:29 pm 

Ha ha! That's a good one, Benson! There really is a Foster City. It is located on the San Francisco peninsula halfway between San Francisco and the heart of Silicon Valley.<P>To prove it, here is a Yahoo link: <A HREF="http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/U_S__States/California/Cities/Foster_City/" TARGET=_blank>http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/U_S__States/California/Cities/Foster_City/</A> <P>And to back up what Grace said, we are indeed everywhere. The idea may have started in San Francisco but even from the genesis, this board was populated by dance fans from around the world.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2000 8:19 am 

I had some considerable trouble explaining my HOME town location while I was visiting my ancestral homeland of Java, Indonesia back during the Olympics of '96.<BR>They'd ask "where are you from?"<BR>I'd say, "Olympia"<BR>They'd say "At-Lanta! Olah Raga (Sporting Games)!"<BR>I'd say, "No, Olympia, WASHINGTON"<BR>They'd say, "Oh, Bill Clin-Ton!"<BR>I'd say, "Washington State, by Seattle!"<BR>They'd say, "NIRVANA! PEARL JAM!"<BR>I'd Say, "YES! That's the place! Jimi Hendrix, Supersonics, Mount Saint Helens!"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2000 1:54 pm 

jb_dub, ha ha! That's funny! Yeah, I think you have to use "Near Seattle" as your hometown, just like I say "San Francisco Bay Area." Cumbersome but necessary.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2000 4:43 pm 

funny, jb - "you're a card!"<P>actually, i was wondering about Greece...no, that's Mount Olympus... Image<P>and i, also, have to say "on the west coast of australia", now that i'm conversing internationally every day...instead of "mandurah", which is where i ACTUALLY live, which is one hour's drive south of perth, which is NOT the city in scotland, but rather is the capital city of the state of western australia, which is...."on the west coast of australia"!<P>thanks for your reply! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2000 5:43 pm 

I can't let the tangent stop! It feels like we're playing six degrees of Kevin Bacon.<P>While the earlier post of my location is correct (Miami) I am originally also (somewhat like Grace) from Perth. Mine's in Ontario, Canada!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2000 8:17 pm 

My head is spinning from all these geographic mind twisters...<P>And I'll add my own. I have a friend who lives in Dublin, California. Another who was born in San Jose, Costa Rica and now works in San Jose, California. I have more but since this is a dance board, I will curb this indulgence.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2000 8:10 am 

Azlan, let go with your feelings!<BR>It all ties back together in as much as "traveling" describes however the dancer gets from one part of the stage to another. I have lived in Portland, Oregon and visited Portland, Maine. I have lived in Salem, Oregon and visited Salem, Massachussettes. I could represent that in a dance by mirroring combinations on either side of the stage... with the Oregon combinations being longer and somehow representing the same "state". Olympia, like Salem is also a state capital. I also lived in Halifax, capital of Nova Scotia. Whatever moves I dance in those "cities" (represented maybe as "sittys") would have to be CAPITAL!<BR>Home is where the art is. Or maybe home is where you farted.<BR>(by the way, I'm older than 13)

Profile E-mail