public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: street dance
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:51 pm 

Hi all

Is anyone on CD interested in street dance?

I have been looking around on the Web hoping to find a vocabulary for funk and hip-hop moves, but I have not had too much success.

I am mostly interested in street funk style dance, but in street dance in general.

This post on Modern Dance is perhaps OT, but less OT than elsewhere.

PS: Moderators, I get funny errors when I try to upload a picture in my profile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:48 pm 

Hi beat bandit!

While there is an argument for covering hip hop and street dance in "Modern", we tend to use the "World dance etc..." forum. So I shall move your post there.

Last edited by Stuart Sweeney on Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:01 pm 

Yes, a number of us enjoy hip hop and street dance forms and I try to see as many of the stage shows when they come round. It is interesting that it is a performance style that still has connections to the clubs and the street.

Some of the best information about styles I have come across is from the worldwidedanceuk site, in connection with the Compagnie Kafig tour:

http://www.worldwidedanceuk.com/content ... oryID=1041

If you use the search function here on CriticalDance (look towards the top of the page) for names such as Compagnie Kafig, Renee Harris and the Breakin' Convention, you'll find quite a lot of material here. Not sure that we have any breakers though. If you're a breaker then do tell us about your experiences with the dance style.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:12 pm 

No I am not a breaker (or b-boy if you prefer).

I find that breaking is a lot like a martial art. The moves are complex and find them very tedious to learn and until you are a quite experienced dancer there is little space for creativity. But I still find this form interesting.

I have read that break dance has raised some academic interest. It is argued that it can be considered a folk dance. But I could not find the studies themselves.

I do like a lot street dance and I am a bad dancer myself (mostly street jazz and street funk). But it is definitely more a kind performance than a social dance.

I have yet to find a book or website that treats street dance comprehensively and in decent depth.