public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Another Glasco "misunderstanding"
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2000 11:58 am 

An interesting if misguided article, dirk - thanks.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited June 26, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Another Glasco "misunderstanding"
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2000 5:35 pm 

The time has come for the Thomson family to pull the plug on this once great institution. Allowing an ink-stained wretch like Spider Robinson to write on its stage is all the proof I need to prove the Globe & Mail is brain dead. <P>Back in February of /99 the Globe & Mail stole my title (Dance Ballerina Dance) for a letter to the editor and used it against Kimberly Glasco in a very mean spirited editorial. Of course, none of them would go on the record. None of them would sign their name on that editorial or tell me who was responsible for it. Probably a good thing. <P>I don’t care who it is: James Kudelka (a.k.a. the Ballet Doughboy and the Cowardly Dandelion), Alan Marple (former Chairman of the Board for the NBoC), Henry Pankratz (current Charmain), Geoff Beattie (Corporate Secretary), Kevin Garland (Chair of the Building Committee), James McGovern (President and CEO of BPI Mutual Funds and Board Member), or Aaron Regent (President & CEO of Trilon Securities Corporation and Board Member) — all I need is one of Kimberly Glasco’s AUTOGRAPHED pointe shoes to take care of ALL of them! <P>What could they do to me? Think how embarrassing it would be for them to admit they got beat up by a 5 foot 8, 150 pound Kimberly Glasco fan wielding nothing more than a used pointe shoe! <P>Can a pointe shoe be deemed a dangerous weapon? There’s only one (very beautiful) thing stopping me from bashing some sense into them: Kimberly Glasco! This is a war to be won with words.<P>The late Red Smith once wrote: “Good writing bleeds!” I am willing to bleed for Kimberly Glasco! When her tiptoes kiss the stage of the Hummingbird Centre (and they will), I will clap until my hands BLEED! <P>God bless the above dunderheads for giving of their time and money to the National Ballet of Canada. I just wish they could get it through their thick heads that Kimberly Glasco was unjustly fired. This is all so wrong. Kimberly Glasco was just doing her job defending the rights of dancers and for this she gets the pink boot and slip. <P>If you’ve ever seen her dance you know she should still be dancing for the National Ballet of Canada. You don’t have to be a member of the board. You don’t have to be a ballet critic. You don’t have to be a dancer. All you have to be is human with a sense of sight—and a soul to be moved. <P>James Kudelka, Alan Marple, Henry Pankratz, Geoff Beattie, Kevin Garland, James McGovern, and Aaron Regent obviously have no soul.<P>They are obviously also without libido! For Kimberly Glasco has the glowing face and beaming body of which National Ballet of Canada dreams are made on. No dancer—past, present, or future—could out flirt Glasco in Sir Kenneth MacMillan’s Elite Syncopations! Woooooo! <P>Wherever Kudelka and his merry band of piggy bankrolls are going after they’ve finished serving their death sentence on Earth, I guarantee it will be very, very, very WARM! And I’m not talking Virgin Islands warm! More like microwave kind of warm! <P>As for Spider Robinson, he should not be writing for what was once the best newspaper in Canada. Yes, Virginia, Lou Grant is dead (Special thanks to Walter Stewart for that line). <P>Where have all the great writers gone? Where have all the great editors gone? If they were still writing for the Globe & Mail they would have caught the below faux pas. <P>"Henceforth, plum roles will go to the dancer with the best laywers." Criticaldance member Dirk corrected Robinson's writing. Spider Robinson misspelled lawyers as “laywers.” Pow! His column goes by the title FUTURE TENSE yet his writing is littered with sentences written in the passive voice. I think he’s going down for the count! 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10! It’s over! It’s all over! Robinson just kissed the literary canvas face first! Little birdies are circling his head! Yes, Virginia, ink was spilt! <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> “All minds, Virginia, whether they be men’s or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, (or in this case a spider) in his intellect as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge... <P>The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they<BR>are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>The above passage came from the mind’s eye of Francis P. Church in his famous editorial: “Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus.” The stage of ballet is the only place where the things we dream of in our imagination can come to life. It is truly a shame that a living work of art like Kimberly Glasco is not allowed to continue what is her destiny: To dance music to life! <P>Only a moron would write: “Canadian choreographers are now legally forbidden to cast their own works, and must employ whomever some bonehead judge decides.” <P>It is unfortunate that Kimberly Glasco needs a lawyer to continue her destiny: Kitri, Cinderella, Snow Queen, Sleeping Beauty, Tatiana, Swan Queen, Sugar Plum Fairy, Palmyra, Child Alice, Hanna, Juliet and Princess Aurora Borealis. Kimberly Glasco is all of the above. <P>That ink stained wretch Robinson is just what he has chosen to call himself: Spider. His words could never—EVER—match the beauty Kimberly Glasco creates on stage. Dance Ballerina Dance! <P>------------------<BR>Michael Goldbarth<P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited June 26, 2000).]

Profile E-mail