public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Breaking ballet's color barrier
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:20 am 

Quote:
Wilkinson, who joined in 1955, was not the first black ballet dancer to be given a regular post; that honor belongs to Janet Collins, hired by the Metropolitan Opera Ballet in 1951. Nor is she the most famous of such pioneers. Arthur Mitchell originated important roles in several seminal Balanchine ballets in the 1950s and '60s, then founded the Dance Theatre of Harlem. But Wilkinson was the first black ballet dancer to tour the nation - not only to towns in the east, west and north but also to St. Louis, Macon and Savannah, Ga., Charleston, S.C., and Hattiesburg, Miss

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/arts/ny-etlede4483364oct26,0,6906740.story

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:47 am 

Thanks a lot, Jeff. An inspirational story of tenacity and the role of the arts as a catalyst for social change. I'll go through today with an added spring to my step.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:01 am 

A couple of years ago, I saw a videotape of a mid-1950s Hallmark Hall of Fame* presentation of Balanchine's Nutcracker. I'm sure that Arthur Mitchell's performance in "Arabian" was the first time many Americans had seen a black man dancing with white women.

I have to remember that I'd forgotten, if I ever knew, about Ms. Wilkinson. I'm going to labor mightily to see this film next week.

* An excellent show, from the days when television was considered an art. It was an anthology of dance, theatre, and other classical art forms.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:55 am 

If it was 'Arabian', then "The Nutcracker" has changed, because in the current version 'Coffee' (Arabian) is peformed by a solo woman. 'Hot Chocolate' (Spanish) has four or five couples.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:59 am 

It's been awhile since I saw it, but I'm 99 44/100% sure it was "Arabian". My recollection is that it was Mitchell and 3 or 4 women.

Balanchine never considered a dance to be "finished", so it's quite possible it was changed at a later time.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:10 pm 

it was indeed arabian, mitchell was surrounded by four small children. in the pas de deux, there was no cavalier, and diana adams was partnered by edward villella (candy cane), mitchell, deni lamont (chinese) and roy tobias (spanish). it was broadcast on december 25 1958, live, as part of the program cbs playhouse 90.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:26 am 

i must correct myself here; the broadcast was on christmas eve, not christmas day. balanchine himself played drosselmeyer and the nutcracker prince was a very young robert maiorano. allegra kent was the dewdrop, diana adams the sugar plum.