Press release
La Ventana and the Kermesse in Bruges
By August Bournonville

Old Stage
11 | 13 | 15 | 21 | 27 September 2005
1 | 4 | 20 October 2005
2 | 3 November 2005
Revival | 11 September at 3 pm

The ultimate chance this season to experience Denmark’s international choreographer

Life is returning to normal for the Royal Danish Ballet following the grand celebra-tion of the bicentenary of the birth of August Bournonville. Despite the season’s extravaganza of new exciting choreography, Bournonville is, nevertheless, a reper-toire highlight. Enjoy Bournonville’s ballets with all they have to offer of festivity, colour, zest and elegance.

High expectations
Expectations were high prior to the premiere of the new production of The Ker-messe in Bruges in the spring. Not only had American-born Lloyd Riggins been invited back to Copenhagen to retouch Bournonville a little, the staging also fea-tured two new dancers in the title roles. Carelis and Eleonore were performed by Kristoffer Sakurai & Susanne Grinder as well as Dawid Kupinski & Yao Wei. The young dancers and the production as such were well received. Critics applauded this new Bournonville rendition, and all four dancers were promoted at the theatre on the very first day of the festival. Kristoffer Sakurai was appointed solo dancer while the other three dancers were appointed soloists. At the revival on Saturday, two new dancers – soloists Nicolai Hansen and Amy Watson – will featured in the principal parts as the three brothers who set out to see the wide world.

Bournonville and the American kid
Lloyd Riggins, who was formerly a solo dancer at the Royal Danish Ballet, has performed many principal parts in Bournonville’s ballets. Following his assignment to German ballet four years ago, Lloyd Riggins now not only offers a familiar ap-proach to Bournonville; he also offers a fresh new perspective.

On the combined task of safeguarding as well as renewing the Bournonville heri-tage, Lloyd Riggins states:

“It is as important to understand the theatrical language Bournonville employed as to understand that of our contemporary world. What needed portraying on-stage in 1851 need not necessarily be shown today. This raises the questions as to what and how much we need to show. Do we have to portray Bruges of the 1660s in the theatrical language of 1851? No, we need something different! We need to reduce it to the essence – but what is essential and what is superfluous?"

The Kermesse in Bruges features in the same programme as La Ventana, which is famed for its mirror dance. Kloborg and Andersen have revisited the ballet in detail. And although it is one of Bournonville’s smallest ballets it has for more than 150 years retained its popularity and is still a shining star of the Bournonville reper-toire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:02 am 

Dancers from the Royal Danish Ballet - this appears to be the Principals & Soloist of the Royal Danish Ballet, as opposed to the company itself - will be performing at the Båghallarna in Malmo, Sweden on October 22 ( 6pm).

The performances will include: 'Apollo', 'Flower Festival From Genzano' and excerpts from 'Napoli', 'La Sylphide' and 'Konservatoriet' (similar to what was performed in London).

More info here: http://www.skanesdansteater.se/?tid=sdt ... 64&cid=318

Tickets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:56 am 

The 9-CD box set of the Bournonville ballet music is now available in the US through Tower Records. Apparently it is available at the Lincoln Center store in NYC, and can also be ordered via the Tower Records Website. The cost is approximately $70 (together with the book, the cost in Europe is equivalent to about $85 - 90).

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:33 am 

If anyone can point me in the direction of any reviews for this weeks performances of Kermesse/La Ventana it would be much appreciated.

There are some interesting debuts and I'd like to see how they get on.

Thanks, Jane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:54 am 

Greetings

I'm curious to hear about the debuts as well, but RDB reviews are far and few between.

Generally, except for tours and special events, there's nothing published in english. And none of the big Danish newspapers appear to have reviewed anything other than the gala in August. (My experience is that only premieres or galas tend to get reviewed, though debuts sometimes merit coverage).

Have any of our Danish posters seen any performances at Det Kongelige Teater this year? We'd love to hear your thoughts!

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:04 pm 

Thomas Lund, who turned 31 yesterday, has been elected dancer of the year by BalletTanz magazine. The press release (in Danish):

Thomas Lund kåret som Årets danser af 40 internationale kritikere

I det tyske dansemagasin Ballettanz's årbog kåres solodanser ved Den Kongelige Ballet, Thomas Lund, som årets bedste mandlige danser. Den 30-årige solodanser slog for alvor igennem internationalt under den 3. Bournonville Festival i København i juni måned. Og det er også denne begivenhed, der omtales som årsagen til, at Thomas Lund nævnes flest gange af de 40 dansekritikere fra hele verden, som verdens bedste mandlige dansere i sæsonen 2004/05.
Ballettanz, der er det største dansemagasin i Tyskland, udgiver hvert år en årsbog, hvor 40 kritikere bliver spurgt om deres største oplevelser på dansescenen i den forgangne sæson. Ud over Thomas Lund nævnes solodanser Gudrun Bojesen også som Årets profil, ligesom solisterne Susanne Grinder og Dawid Kupinski og solodanser Kristoffer Sakurai nævnes som unge dansere, man skal holde øje med.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:52 am 

Mathilde Soe is the first recepient of a unique new grant:

http://www.jp.dk/english_news/artikel:aid=3320634/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:40 am 

I imagine that herring is good nutritionally too, but as I'm a pizza and ice-cream man I can't claim an expertise in this area.

In some ways it's surprising that more companies haven't latched onto ballet kudos for product placement.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:15 pm 

Not a herring person either.

There are a wide variety of grants awarded to RDB dancers, most of which appear to be funded by trusts or organizations. However, it is possible that some of these trusts are funded by companies.
Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:12 am 
I notice there are no performances listed for the RDB for January - does anyone know why?

Thanks, Jane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:17 am 

Greetings!

The company will be touring within Denmark for part of the month, but for the rest I'm not entirely sure. There are usually several longer gaps in the performing schedule since the company is in season for about 10 months of the year - during those times there are rehearsals and sometimes the 'Principals & Soloists' group will use the break to do a bit of touring.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:42 am 

Thanks - If you happen to see the dates/places listed for the tour anywhere it would be appreciated.

I am travelling to Denmark mid-January and if I have the chance I'd love to try and see a performance if at all possible.

Jane.

Post subject: Well...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:02 am 
Quote:
Principal Gudrun Bojesen and soloist Amy Watson are dancing in the annual Copenhagen International Ballet - Summer Ballet.

But i just can't understand it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:21 pm 

Tour dates are listed in the Turne/Tours topic...

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:03 am 

Principal dancer Thomas Lund has been nominated for the "Best Male Dancer" award in the 2005 (UK) National Dance Awards. The winners will be announced at the awards ceremony, held on January 19, 2005 at Covent Garden.

For more information on the awards and details on nominees, click here.