public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:27 pm 

Evgenia Obratsova -- just won the senior gold at the Moscow Competition.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:55 am 

ripowam,
Thank you very much for the info on Miss Obratsova. I have immense respect for Mariinsky theatre and Kirov-Mariinsky dancers as carriers of pure classical traditon and would like to know more about Evgenia.
Also, where can I get more data on Moscow Competition? Excuse my ignorance, but all I know about it is that Moscow Ballet Competition is being held every 4 years like the Olympics. I assume it is along the lines of Prix de Lausanne, no ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:44 am 
DB, here is a bio on Evgenia Obraztsova with a photo, on the Mariinsky website. (You can click to read her bio in English).

http://www.mariinsky.ru/ru/ballet/soloist/yeobraztsova

And another photo of her in La Sylphide in my recent review.

http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_05 ... v_0405.htm

Last edited by Kevin Ng on Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:56 pm 

Does anyone have any idea why the Russian name for "In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated" means "There, Where the Golden Cherries Hang?" (This is from Yeobraztseva's repertoire on her bio page.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:17 pm 

I believe that originally, when ITMSE was premiered in Paris, it was meant to have a more elaborate set, which wasn't ready for the first night. So it premiered with the familiar bare set and Forsythe decided to stick with it.

ITMSE refers to the cherries hanging in the middle of the stage, which are there, but I suspect that most people don't notice with all the pyrotechnics happening on-stage. I only saw them when I read the explanation.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:01 pm 

Thanks, Stuart. I've never seen the whole ballet, only the duet, and I never noticed any cherries. I wonder, though, why the Russians didn't just translate the actual title? It's translatable, and makes just as much (or little) sense in Russian. I wonder that about a lot of movie titles, as well.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:32 am 

Many many thanks for the interesting info, folks! I am extremely fond of Forsythe ballets. I love absolutely everything by him. Well, everything that I've seen, that is - "In the Middle Somewhat Elevated", " The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude", "Approximate Sonata" and "Steptext".

Curiously enouph, Tsiskaridze recently made his debut in one of Forsythe' ballets at the Mariinsky Theater. I am not sure of the details and will be very interested to hear some wholesome reviews of Nikolai's encounter with the coplex choreography of William Forsythe.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:59 am 

A friend sent me a link to a very intriguing announcement for next February:

http://www.nycitycenter.org/events/even ... code=KOD06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:08 am 

uauuuuuu :lol: Thanks! many, many thanks for this link! I really would like to come, I always have wanted to pay a visit to NY and I don't think about a better opportunity. Now I'll start saving to be able to come and see my preferred dancers :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:21 am 

Tsiskaridze has just appeared in an interesting new work choreographed by Festival Ballets new director, Wayne Eagling, reviewed below.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2 ... 1/107.html

I'm not sure if the Kremlin Ballet tours in Western Europe. It's an interesting company with a rather more imaginative repertoire than most and really does have a base within the Kremlin - The enormous Palace of Congress. To gain admittance you have to present your ticket to a soldier with a gun at the gates: Quite a unique experience.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:11 am 

Does anyone know if there is a DVD of Forsythe's "In the middle..."

I'll be very grateful is somebody can inform me :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:01 am 

Possibly, excerpts, though I've never seen or heard of a full version on DVD. As usual, a google search is the best way to go!

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:43 am 

As I am not a Moscow Times subscriber, I was unfortunately not able to read most of the article about Tsiskaridze in The Blue God. It sounds fascinating and I would love to know more about it - what's the story? what is the choreography like and how was it performed by Tsiskaridze and Ilse Liepa? I hope someone can answer my questions or give me a broad overview of what the review says about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:46 pm 

Hi Ostrich! Enjoy.

Forgotten God
An acclaimed Canadian-born choreographer works with Russian ballet stars to revive a Sergei Diaghilev classic. By Raymond Stults for The Moscow Times

Dancers Ilze Liepa and Nikolai Tsiskaridze created the ballet sensation of the season four years ago with their stellar performance of the lead roles in the Bolshoi Theater premiere of Roland Petit's ballet "The Queen of Spades." For that achievement, each of them later received a Golden Mask award. On Tuesday, the two join forces again, this time at the Kremlin Palace, in a revival of "The Blue God," a ballet first danced in Paris at the 1912 Saison Russe of impresario Sergei Diaghilev.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:30 am 

Thanks Kate,

I made a search and found nothing so probably it doesn't exist :(

I hope I'll have the opportunity to see the full ballet one day.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next