public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:53 am 

I'm looking for a teacher in modern dance, though i don't know if i can afford it, my budget as a student is pretty tight!

this is breakdancing:
http://www.compfused.com/directlink/621/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:17 pm 

Alex R, Birmingham has some excellent drop in classes at the DanceXchange, based at the Hippodrome in central Birmingham. They do Street Dance, Pilates, Jazz, and ballet & other stuff. The street dancers (hip hop) look amazing! There's a student rate, and you'd get some excellent teaching & advice about flexibility. Grwat studios, very friendly, and good facilities (lockers & showers!) But really, doing the splits is not the be all & end all of any dancing - it's just a trick...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:35 pm 

I know, but it's a cool trick!

thanks, I have looked into the danceXchange at the Hippodrome, unfortunately the classes clash with other commitments at the moment :( as i'm quite a busy bee at uni! hopefully that'll change soon though, would like to give it a go.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:29 am 

Alex please please please speak to your breakdance teacher about how you are doing your stretches. I am really concerned that you could be doing something to harm yourself.

At the moment if you are not taking modern classes I wouldn't concern yourself about doing too many things to prepare. Once you have found a class that suits you the teacher will be able to give you lots of tips - they won't have expected you to have done any advance prep.

If you really want to do classes you will find a way but in the mean time don't do yourself damage trying to find a shortcut to flexibility - it is not worth it and is only one part of being a good dancer. Instead rent some dance videos watch them and get a feel for the type of stuff you like.

take care

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2