public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Matthew Bourne's "Swan Lake" 2003 -2006
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:58 am 

Just to say: please ignore the title of this topic. Topics move to this new software give us all sorts of problems and one is that the titles cannot be changed - this is the ongoing "Swan Lake" topic, not just 2003

"Swan lake" is off on its travels again, under the auspices of AMP, Bourne's previous company before he set up New Adventures.

The Japan showings have the benefit of Adam Cooper:

A Swan Lake to swoon over
By Mieko Sasaki / Special to The Daily Yomiuri

Matthew Bourne's extraordinary version of Swan Lake, with male dancers in the starring roles, has been receiving tumultuous applause in Tokyo since its Japan premiere on Feb. 25 at Tokyo's Bunkamura Orchard Hall. Premiered in London in 1995 by the inspiring British dance/theater company Adventures in Motion Pictures (AMP), this Swan Lake has won cheers everywhere it has been staged--even on Broadway, where ballet is usually ignored. It has won many international awards, such as the Laurence Olivier Award, the Drama Desk Award and three Tony Awards.

One reason for its success might be the surprising plot conceived by Bourne. Who could have imagined muscular men dancing as white swans, instead of elegant females clad in classic tutus? Bourne transformed the fantastic classical ballet into a realistic dance of today with a focus on the royal loneliness of a prince trapped in a flashy social life.

click for more

<small>[ 07 March 2003, 02:02 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Last edited by Stuart Sweeney on Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:58 am, edited 5 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Matthew Bourne's "Swan Lake" 2003
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:27 pm 

Originally posted by Chris Lee:

<hr>

Yes, it all began with 'Billy Elliot'.

The movie was quite entertaining and delighted. However at the end of the film, 'Bang!!' Adam Cooper came out. I read the review of the movie, and found out that the footage was from AMP's Swan Lake.

May 20, 2003. Finally I have a chance to see it on stage. This day was a opening day, and I have seen it another time on May 29. I was really impressed by their performance and it was absoultely breathtaking work.

Early month of May, there has been a classical ballet version of Swan Lake performed by Korean National Ballet. Since I am a fan of this company, I have gone to see it. My impression of the classical version is quite good. It was beautiful and romantic. Women in white tutu looked so divine. Odette/ Odile was danced by Joowon Kim, one of the star ballet dancer in KNB. She was, as always, so elegant and beautiful, even when she danced Odile.

So for this show, I was glad that I could have an opportunity to compare this classical version to modern one. However, as it started, I completely forgot about whole comparing thing. It was unique and immediately caught my eyes.

As a matter of fact, I have seen this one through VHS. But it doesn't bother me at all, and couldn't be any spoiler. Swans' dance were so powerful, and actually can see their sweat and hear their breathing... It was so lively. 'The Swan' was performed by 3 men- Jesus Pastor, Nik Kafetzakis, and Alan Vincent. I have seen Jesus and Alan's swan. Both of them were great, although each swan feels very different.

Jesus Pastor's swan- who became my favorite swan from this tour- was very ellegant and unbelievably erotic. It seemed that he is very well trained ballet dancer. The way he moved is very powerful and graceful, which seems like odd combination but it is true. Alan Vincent's swan is even more powerful. I think Alan really showed up in ACT III as the stranger.

And there are also very talented dancers. Ben Wright played the prince with Jesus. He was more like actor than dancer. (He is good dancer, of course.) I happened to be in a front row, and I could watch his act very closely. It was so touching and when prince died, I almost felt like bursting a tear. Personally, I liked one of female dancer who played butterfly in the opera house scene. She was very witty.

The first day I was in a front row, and the second day I was in the second floor. It was pretty good, because I have an opportunity to see it with whole different sight. No matter where I sit, Act IV is always make me cry.

In Korea, I think ballet is not as much popular as musical. This ballet was promoted as 'Dance Musical'. A few years ago musical was also not that popular but with a success of the big ones like Phantom of the opera or Cats, it just burst up. I think Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake could do the same to ballet in Korea.

Fans in Korea are craving for more Bourne's work now. They performed in Korea about 2 weeks but definately it is not enough. Hope to see more great ballet in future, and hope it could help the Korean ballet be successful.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:29 pm 

I've moved this post from another topic:

yisue posted 12 June 2003 11:07 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was totaly shocked by men swans!
They've got international tour and seoul is the last destination. Among tour I watched last perpormance. It was really lucky I thought.
Every dancer was burn with passion and among this swans I was captured by one swan. his name is Hesus Pastor. Amazing!!!!! his acting was proof that human body is most beautiful creature.

So many people(actually girls^^)wanted know about his ex-performane and his profile etc... but nowhere being exist about who is he.

so I wish criticaldance will have plan interview with him. and please give the massage to him how many people is into the fantastic dance world due to him and how many people loves him

thank you^^ keep going prosperity criticaldance!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:32 pm 

Here's a link to our topic on Scottish Ballet's "Aladdin". Jesus Pastor played the lead and I have just added an interview with him:

http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000577#000010

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:57 am 

Many thanks to our posters from Korea for telling us about AMP's "Swan Lake". We are all hoping for more reports on ballet and dance in Korea.

<small>[ 25 June 2003, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:53 pm 

Quote:
Bare-chested male leads with feathers? Must be Swan Lake
by KELLY APTER for the Scotsman

Ten years and copious awards later, Bourne's Swan Lake is on the anniversary trail, introducing the ballet to those who missed it first time and re-acquainting existing fans.

published: September 26, 2005
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:04 am 

Quote:
Bourne identity is back
by MARY BRENNAN for the Scotland Herald

"At the time, those characters just seemed so relevant; so much in the news I felt audiences would recognise them – have them as a way in to the story, maybe. I felt that when we opened the show, if there was anything that would capture the imagination of the press and the public, it would be this similarity between our royal family and the one we portray. I half-expected there would be headlines like 'Prince Charles in gay ballet', that sort of thing."

published: September 29, 2005
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:33 am 

‘Swan Lake’ - New Adventures
Milton Keynes Theatre, Milton Keynes, England; 25th October 2005

I have an admission to make. It’s been ten years since Matthew Bourne’s “Swan Lake“ was born, and while I had seen it on film, this was the first time in the flesh.

Of course, what it is best known for is his replacing the usual very feminine swans with a herd of aggressive, hissing, rather menacing, males. Men taking the swans’ roles was original but where Bourne has really succeeded is in making seem quite normal. You actually don’t really notice the gender reversal.

Bourne’s choreography is a little hit and miss. He seems at his best with the swans and when they are direct parallels with the traditional white-tutu Swan Lake. It’s when he moves away, inserting his own narrative that the problems come. This is especially true in Act I. As with many “Swan Lakes”, this basically little more than a scene-setter with lots of acting. There’s not too much dance, and when we do get some the choreography fails to really hold the attention.

The principals were all superb, especially Alan Vincent as The Swan and The Stranger. Vincent brought some very special qualities to the role. Tall and physically imposing, he became the centre of attention every time he stepped on the stage. He really epitomised a large male swan, managing to successfully combine incredible strength with gracefulness.

Elsewhere, Simon Wakefield was excellent as The Prince, looking for affection and it seems, for a reason for being; only when dancing with Vincent did he seem to be released from his mental turmoil. Saranne Curtin was perfect as his mother and head of this dysfunctional family, giving us an apparently cold, detached Queen. If you’re starting to think parallels with real life here, Bourne even has a footman walking a corgi.

The ballet is full of humour, which for me at least doesn’t always work. I would go so far as to say that some of it seems dated. Then again, I’ve never been one for what I’ll call ‘in your face pantomime humour’. The Act I ‘ballet within a ballet’ had most of the audience roaring with laughter but could only raise a smile on this observer’s face. Where Bourne is a master is in what I’ll call his ‘asides’, those little things that happen, sometimes no more than a look. Leigh Daniels, who danced The Girlfriend, was a master, stealing the ‘ballet within a ballet’ scene where she was the audience member from hell. We’ve all sat near them, the mobile phone rings, the loud rustling of chocolate wrappers, the dropped handbag, talking, sighing...

Perhaps the most important thing about Bourne’s production is that it is accessible and a good evening’s entertainment. A story line that is easily followed, excellent dancers, and great sets and lighting. The does seem to be something of a formula when it comes to Bourne’s productions of well-known ballets, but for many people it works. And if it brings people to dance who might not otherwise have come along that can be no bad thing.

“Swan Lake” continues on tour nationwide.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:26 am 

Thank you David for you review. I too have only seen this on DVD and so I am looking forward to seeing it 'live' when it comes to Washington DC in April next year. Do you know if Alan Vincent will tour overseas with Swan Lake? He sounds wonderful from your review.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:37 pm 

Sorry to answer when you actually asked David, but yes, Corrival, Alan Vincent is due to tour the States next year with Swan Lake. He'll share the role with Jose Tirado :)

Jane xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:57 am 

Thanks Jane, I am planning on seeing a couple of shows so, hopefully will get to see both Alan and Jose. Can't wait!

Profile E-mail