Do you instill warm up understanding with beginner students? Why?
I think it is extremely important that the young beginner student no matter what their age, realise the importance and relevance of warm up. One must of course choose their wording so that it is age appropriate.
i am interested in feedback for in particular the 3-7 year old age group. how would you instill the understanding?
Perhaps we can tell them:
1. it is good for our heart and our lungs and point out to them where we would find the organs anatomically. perhaps a fun handout of the heart and lungs to colour in. award with a sticker.
2. to make our bodies warm and ready for work. demonstrate fun exercises any rhymes: eg: teddy bear, teddy bear, touch your nose
teddy bear, teddy bear, touch your toes
teddy bear, teddy bear, turn around
teddy bear, teddy bear, touch the ground
3. so that we do not hurt ourselves and to keep our bodies safe.
4. so that we can work well in class
5. makes us think and use our muscles
7. so that we can enjoy our classes
What say you? I shall love to hear from you all out there in cyberland on some other ways in which you promote warm-up to this particular age group. as always, any thoughts, comments, observations most welcome