public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: eyeline
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:58 pm 

What does a good eyeline mean to you? To me it means to be focused, to dance with your eyes (as far as facial expression is concerned), not to look at the floor, to look to your audience and be proud and confident. To follow armlines with the eyes etc. Hopefully I am on the right track but then again I could be totally wrong here?
(to dance without a blank and vacant stare?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:58 am 

I think you are on the right track here, Spangles...Sometimes, students have a tendency to look at the floor (so their eyes looked "closed" to the audience). Eyes should be level or slightly higher for many combinations (especially for turning combinations). At times, they may look down because of the particular exercise, for example, looking "down" over a rounded first position arm, then transitioning to another position (third arms, for instance) when the eyes would then be lifted out towards the "audience". But, as you say, the dancer should never look like their eyes are closed by looking at the floor.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:27 pm 

yes Gina. So important that students do not look at the floor (this is another reason why we teachers insist that student's wear their hair in a bun. We can tell straight away if a student is looking at the floor :P ).
I am constantly reminding my students that I have picked up all the money from the floor so it is not necessary for them to go searching :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:52 pm 

It is amazing how eyeline alters posture and head position. Even when students are facing the back you can tell if their eyeline is dropped just by the position of their head.

I think it freaks students out when they are facing the back and you can still tell they are not using correct eyeline!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:36 am 

Just another thought on eyeline...The dancer focuses from the bridge of the nose with the eyes focusing on the horizon...

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]