public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: foot stretch
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:31 pm 

I am looking for some exercises that will help increase my arch. It is basically the metatarsal part of my foot that does not bend. Does anyone know any exercises and/or foot stretching aparatus to help increase its mobility? (I am currently using the Ballet Foot Stretch) Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:54 pm 

Hi there. An easy exercise that may help (can be done whilst watching television). is to sit on the floor, legs parallel, feet flexed (watch posture here and make sure that you are sitting correctly, arms in second, fingers lightly on the floor). Then simply work the feet to a full point gradually working through the metatarsals.(visualise the shape of a dolphin jumping through the waves - dolphin feet)aim to get the toes to the floor (no mean feet er pardon the pun) Group work with this exercise is fun to do also but MUST be done under supervision of a good teacher and one must not go beyond their limits (SAFE DANCE PRACTICE AND INJURY PREVENTION MUST BE FIRST AND UPMOST IMPORTANCE). get a partner to gently push the feet to the floor and hold for 10 seconds. Remember to keep the backs of the knees on the floor also. Hoping this is of some help at least. Another quick tip to promote foot strength, tendu, tendu and tendu some more (using correct technique of course) :D Remember these things do not happen overnight but hopefully in due time, your feet may become more flexible. unfortunately sometimes we cannot change what God has given us so we work to our very best with what we have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:08 pm 

Thank you spangles! I will definately take your advice and try these exercises. I know I mostly have to accept what I have, but I also know I have to make the best of what God gave me, and push that envelope to see what my best can be! Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:23 am 

little tutu...You mentioned using the foot stretching apparatus that I've seen advertised in dance catalogs. I'm not sure if I believe these devices are that good for your feet. Most of the dance professionals I have talked to don't advocate using them. I would worry about over-stretching your foot to the point of risking injury or tendonitis. A big difference when stretching each other's feet (here, you are basically doing the same thing as a "stretcher") is that you can gently pull the foot out and lengthen it before stretching down, being extremely careful to keep the foot perfectly in line with the shin (no sickling). I would be interested to know what other folks here think about these Foot Stretchers. Maybe, I'm just old-fashioned! :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:36 pm 

Not old fashioned at all Gina. I personally oppose any foot stretching devices for the very same reasons that you had previously mentioned. I have also in the past ran this very discussion by a physiotherapist who also did not recommend the use of such mechanical devices. Seems like the only answer here is hard work :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]