public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:08 pm 

I watched all three performances on 26-28. I agree with Kate that Eva Mutso is the best dancer. tall and very in control. seems very much a Balanchine girl (as described by various books I have read). she did a wonderful job in Apollo (as noted in my earlier posting). she is great in 5 Pieces, Opus 10 section of Episodes (reminded me of Maria Kowroski of NYCB). and very cool in Rubies solo girl. (reminded me of Maria Kowroski a few years back and Teresa Reichlen of last year as I saw in California and NYC)
I am happy I made effort to go to the festival. even though the Playhouse seems a very old theater. How much we have been spoiled in State Theater in NYC for NYCB
Now I am back in Shanghai. waiting for my NYCB season in January. Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:50 am 

another note about the blue backdrop for Rubies:
During the conversation with artist session on Sat. I asked Ashley this question. he told me Patricia Neary told him to use blue backdrop, ' I do what I have been told'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:53 am 

So pleased to hear that Eve Mutso is doing well at Scottish Ballet. I first saw her playing the half-human doll in Bigonzetti's "Coppelia" by Estonian National Ballet and she impressed many people in this role.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:32 pm 

I think Eve Mutso should move to a company with bigger Balanchine repertoir. I would love to see her in NYCB. She will be really good. Maybe I should suggest this to someone in NYCB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:53 am 

A fine Balanchine act
By Jann Parry for The Observer

For the first time in two decades, Scottish Ballet was invited to perform this year at the Edinburgh Festival. They marked the momentous occasion with an all-Balanchine bill designed to demonstrate how this company has matured under Ashley Page's direction. It's now a modern ballet ensemble, an eclectic mix of dancers from different backgrounds. Acquiring a Balanchine repertoire has licked them into shape, aided by Patricia Neary, who mounts the ballets with a rigour that includes the conductor as well as the dancers.

Nicholas Kok was in charge of the Scottish Chamber orchestra, playing Stravinsky and Webern at ballet rather than concert tempi. No indulgence is required: in these works, the dancers on stage are as much a part of the music as players in the pit. Scottish Ballet may not have the calibre of soloists likely to be invited to join Balanchine's New York City Ballet (as Dutch Ballet's Sofiane Sylve has) but by doing justice to his choreography their triple bill was a knockout.

click for more

A Balanchine act
Scottish Ballet’s festival programme was a triumphant return to form, says David Dougill for The Sunday Times

For its big ballet events, the Edinburgh Festival has regularly drawn on American companies — quite a range of them — and prominent Europeans, such as the Dutch National Ballet (who returned last week). But this year, there was a significant addition, with Scottish Ballet making its first festival appearance in 20 years, dancing a challenging programme of works by Balanchine.

The invitation was an accolade for Ashley Page, who in 2002 took over the directorship of a company in financial and artistic doldrums, recruited new dancers of various nationalities and backgrounds, and over two performing seasons has introduced a new contemporary-classical repertory.

click for more

Profile E-mail