public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: New York City Ballet - Winter 2005-2006
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:13 am 

News of departures...

James Fayette is retiring

"For Immediate Release - July 12, 2005
NEW YORK CITY BALLET ANNOUNCES FINAL PERFORMANCES OF PRINCIPAL DANCER JAMES FAYETTE
New York City Ballet has announced that principal dancer James Fayette will retire from the Company this summer, dancing his final performance at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center on Thursday, July 14 at 2:00 p.m. For this performance, Mr. Fayette will dance the second movement of Brahms-Schoenberg Quartet with principal dancer Jenifer Ringer.

Following his retirement, Mr. Fayette will begin working for the American Guild of Musical Artists (AGMA) as the New York Area Dance Executive. During his career with New York City Ballet, Mr. Fayette served as the Chairman of the Dancer’s Committee for AGMA, which is the labor organization that represents the dancers of the New York City Ballet.

Mr. Fayette was born in Ridgefield, Connecticut, and studied dance at the School of American Ballet. In the spring of 1991, Mr. Fayette became a member of the NYCB corps de ballet and was promoted to soloist in the spring of 1997. Mr. Fayette was promoted to the rank of principal dancer in May of 2002. During his fifteen-year career, Mr. Fayette has danced featured roles in ballets choreographed by George Balanchine, Jerome Robbins, and Peter Martins; including such memorable roles as Herr Drosselmeier in George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker™ and Bernardo in Jerome Robbins’ West Side Story Suite. He has originated roles in ballets choreographed by Jerome Robbins, Peter Martins, Christopher Wheeldon, Richard Tanner, and Lynn Taylor-Corbett.

New York City Ballet is currently performing at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center in Saratoga Springs, New York through July 23, 2005. "

Also, Jerome Johnson and Jessica Flynn are no longer listed on the company roster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:24 am 

Three dancers are no longer listed on the NYCB roster: Jerome Johnson, Jessica Flynn and Alexandra Ansanelli. Ansanelli's departure is an especially large and unexpected loss for NYCB.

I wish them well, wherever their talents take them.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:51 pm 

Does anybody know what happened to Alexandra Ansanelli?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:13 pm 

It has not been formally announced as to where she is going.
I love her dancing and wish her well! Lets hope we hear soon about her future plans!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:11 am 

As a reminder that it is not appropriate to post information about departures (or hirings or promotions) that is not confirmed by a company.

There may not be any official release about Ansanelli's departure, but like all, I wish her well and hope to see her on some stage in the future.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:39 am 

Would it be possible for the editors of this forum's magazine to make some official inquiries and then post something like "calls to _____ were not returned" or "________ refused to comment" or "_____ said that a statement would be issued ________? Good grief, what does a dancer pay a publicist/agent for if not to handle situations like these. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:04 am 

According to posts on other boards, the company press office had no comment. There's no reason they would feel compelled to make a public statement - NYCB generally does not make any pubic announcement of departures, other than retirements - names just are removed from the roster.

And we need to respect the company's and the dancer's right to privacy - they may not want or not feel comfortable in having the reasons made public.

So unless Ansanelli chooses to make her feelings know in press, we'll just have to wait and see which stage she appears on next.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:56 am 

To answer the questions about Ansanelli...a brief article in the NY Times explains her reason and future plans...

Quote:
City Ballet Principal Leaves the Nest

By GIA KOURLAS
Published: July 30, 2005

When a successful ballet dancer leaves a company with little fanfare, the cause usually tends to be some backstage melodrama. But the surprise departure of Alexandra Ansanelli from the New York City Ballet, where she was a principal, has more to do with the roles she hopes to dance than with politics. Ms. Ansanelli, 24, says she wants to dance the classics.

For more, click here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:06 am 

What a courageous leap for Ansanelli! I've always thought that in spite of her contemporary technique, she had a classical soul. If she's amenable to some significant "re-tooling", which she seems to be, she will be delightful to watch in anything she chooses to dance. Fingers crossed for her . . . and us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:45 am 

NYCB corps member Kristin Sloan has her own photo-blog with a bunch of great shots from Saratoga, Kennedy Center and Lincoln Center. Mostly backstage, but a lot of fun!

Click here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:37 am 

A Tibute to Jock Soto in today's Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh ... ixtop.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:31 pm 

Former NYCB music director and conductor Gordon Boelzner has died:

GORDON BOELZNER
New York City Ballet mourns the passing on August 17, 2005 of Gordon Boelzner, a pillar of the Company for over 45 years. Gordon joined NYCB as a rehearsal pianist and later became a conductor and an acclaimed solo pianist, performing at the premieres of such works as George Balanchine’s Ballade and Robert Schumann’s “Davidsbundlertanze,” and Jerome Robbins’ Dances at a Gathering and The Goldberg Variations. He was named Music Director in 1990 and held that position until he retired in 1999, then assuming the title of Music Advisor, which he retained until the time of his death. Gordon was admired for his exceptional intelligence and sensitivity, his wit and immense charm, as well as for his great wealth of musical knowledge and his consummate professionalism. His devotion to George Balanchine and to New York City Ballet was a source of inspiration to all who worked with him, and his remarkable presence in our family will be greatly missed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:57 am 

Quote:
Gordon Boelzner, City Ballet Music Director, Dies at 68
by JENNIFER DUNNING for the New York Times

He became almost as much a principal performer as the dancers in Jerome Robbins's "Dances at a Gathering" and "In the Night," both set to Chopin solo piano works. He played the 75-minute score for Robbins's "Goldberg Variations" and won particular praise for his accompaniment in performances of "In G Major" by Robbins, set to music by Ravel, and "Robert Schumann's 'Davidsbündlertänze' " by Balanchine, danced to 18 Schumann piano pieces.

published: August 22, 2005
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:47 am 

NYCB Principal Wendy Whelan married photographer David Michalek on September 3:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/11/fashi ... ERFEATURES

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:16 am 

I'm planning to go to NY beginning December and I wanted to see Joaquin de Luz on stage. I noticed that the NY City Ballet will be performing The Nutcracker and I asked for cast to the company, they have replayed very quickly, I have to say, but I'm a bit surprised as they say that "there is no way of knowing in advance when Mr de Luz will be dancing. Casting is only posted 1 week in advance of the performances, due to artistic reasons" :roll: :roll:

Is it normal? Is there no way to know? If I wait, can I be sure to be able to buy tickets? Can anyone help me? :?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next