public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: More on Glasco--Kudelka unrepentant
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2000 8:48 am 

Wow, Dirk. Looks like there are many issues to resolve at NBoC.

FYI, I have closed the original thread on the Glasco story with a link from that thread to this one.

For those who would like to catch up, the original thread is at:
http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000032

<font size = -2><center>(Edited by salzberg to fix link)</center></font>

<small>[ 08-11-2002, 16:17: Message edited by: salzberg ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2000 4:17 pm 

thanks so much, dirk, for starting a new thread on this - *I* should have thought of that! but i'm glad you did. i talk too much!<P>might you be the dirk schaeffer of the article/letter quoted in the previous thread?<P>and azlan, what an excellent idea, giving 'latecomers' a direct link to catch up...thanks!<P>boy, it's sure hotting up, isn't it! i sure wouldn't want to be HER, though...who'd want the strain of performing in THAT atmosphere?<P>surely HIS contract won't be renewed?<P>and has it been advertised (his position)? - after all, june 30 is not far off, especially in terms of jobs at this level - usually they are considered VERY well in advance indeed, to ensure continuity and stability, etc...<P>BTW, this is james kudelka,(courtesy of iculture)<P> Image <p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited May 08, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2000 4:12 am 

she won't get cast for the spring season: infoculture link:-<BR> <A HREF="http://www.infoculture.cbc.ca/archives/dance/dance_05032000_balletspring.phtml" TARGET=_blank>http://www.infoculture.cbc.ca/archives/<BR>dance/dance_05032000_balletspring.phtml</A> <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited May 14, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2000 10:32 am 

Thanks for that Dirk!<P>Regarding "set up some kind of firewall so that people such as Ms. Glasco can represent the interests of "workers" without fearing that their statements might later jeopardize their careers". For example here in France the law is - any elected dancers representative (or elected representative in any industry)cannot be fired, until two years after they have terminated their position.<BR>This does lead to some abuse, but gives a firewall.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2000 9:13 pm 

fascinating input from the two of you, thanks!<P>can i ask, please, in endeavouring to "do the right thing", whether it is really OK to reprint an entire article like this, from another source?<P>i really appreciate the convenience of being able to read it all, right here and now, but we must do whatever is legal and proper...trouble is, i'm not SURE, in this case,what is - but my instinct is that this is probably NOT acceptable practice, for copyright reasons.<P>maybe shag can clarify that for us...? or anyone else, if you know...<P>and dirk, somehow the author's name got lost off the header...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2000 11:52 pm 

thanks dirk - it was just because it said 'By' and then a blank space, that it seemed odd.<P>what's an 'op-ed', please? Image<P>is this the same paper where i was getting those URL's that are unbelievably long? i think it IS - and yet yours, up above, is fine (i.e. short)...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2000 3:20 am 

"Op-ed" pieces are those opinion pieces, written by members of the community, not by editorial staff, that appear OPposite the EDitorial page.<BR><P>------------------<BR>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=<BR>Jeffrey E. Salzberg,<BR>Lighting Designer<BR>NEW URL: <A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg<BR>" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg<BR></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2000 4:48 am 

ah-ha! thanks, jeffrey. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2000 9:20 pm 

oh, Pu-leeze...a ballerina, thin enough to have danced the lead in Cinderella two nights ago, trying hard to "look" pregnant (because she is...). it seems this requires looking dishevelled, as well as a postural shift...<P> Image <P><BR>this photo accompanies the story on principal dancer jennifer fournier's resignation from NB of C to have a baby. <A HREF="http://www.infoculture.cbc.ca/archives/dance/dance_05062000_fournier.phtml" TARGET=_blank>http://www.infoculture.cbc.ca/archives/<BR>dance/dance_05062000_fournier.phtml</A> <P>does this actually create any immediate opening/s for glasco, which would otherwise not have been there? does anyone know?<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited May 14, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2000 6:06 am 

God, I hope not! I doubt its possible for anyone to articulate how Glasco WOULD NOT be a cancer in all subsequent shows.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2000 5:35 pm 

short report: next round begins in a toronto court today - <A HREF="http://www.infoculture.cbc.ca/archives/dance/dance_05092000_glasco.phtml" TARGET=_blank>http://www.infoculture.cbc.ca/archives/<BR>dance/dance_05092000_glasco.phtml</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited May 14, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2000 2:56 pm 

oh dear god, no! Image<P>what can i say?<P>tell us more, dirk...so we can discredit your source and put our minds at rest! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2000 7:25 pm 

I must say that if Kudelka goes, a few of his hand-picked lieutenants will probably go as well. My impression was that he not only changed the company but also picked teachers to give the school more of a modern slant. It was a top-down cleansing out of the old for the modern.<P>And I must say that other than "Terra Firma," I find his other works that I have seen tedious to watch.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2000 7:34 pm 

not being canadian, i am WAY behind on whatever's been going on at NB of Canada - regrettably.<P>i HAVE followed the gripping glasco saga - how could one NOT?! - but was unaware of kudelka before this.<P>how can it possibly be that THIS, one of the foremost BALLET companies in the world, with such a fine BALLET school and so on, could have "a top-down cleansing out of the old for the modern".<P>HOW modern, are we talking here? maybe not such an easy thing to explain in print...but can someone knowledgeable give me an EXTREMELY potted recent history of NBofC from just before kudelka took over, till now? (big ask, i know...) thanks!<P>when i think of NB of C, i think of karen kain, cranko's onegin, tetley's alice, all the major classical ballets, damien welch (australian principal male who has just been guesting there), betty oliphant, cecchetti training - so now you know, maybe?, how out-of-date i am!?<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2000 4:18 am 

Grace, if he's headed to Australia like some wayward typhoon, you may find out a lot more.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next