public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Introduction and General Discussion 2005
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:17 am 

Bytom Festival 2005 - News and Feedback Forum

Welcome to the XII Annual International Contemporary Dance Conference and Performance Festival organised by Silesian Dance Theatre. The Festival runs from 26th of June to 9th of July and CriticalDance is working with the Festival Newspaper and the Dance Writing Workshop to report on the events as they happen.

"7.5" performed by Silesian Dance Theatre, Choreography: Jacek Łumiński

There is so much going on it's difficult to know where to start, but here's a list of the various strands, with around 500 people participating in a range of programmes plus the faculty members, the performers and local audiences:

- 40+ performances

- 20 dance workshops daily

- children's dance conference

- international arts managers' seminar

- dance photo workshops

- international seminar of dance historians and critics with 45, 90-minute sessions

- community outreach programs

- audition - Institute for Dance Arts

Here's what the organisers have to say about the Festival:

Quote:
The Silesian Dance Theatre organizes the Annual International Contemporary Dance Conference and Performance Festival to strengthen the contemporary dance community in Poland stressing the intrinsic democratic values of dance. The Programs and performances of the conference/festival are designed with the intention of encouraging Polish dancers to build their own forms of expression by respecting and culling movement from personal influences: national traditions, mentality, geopolitical setting, historical and contemporary issues, etc.

The conference/festival structure is meant to give and strengthen personal qualities creating possibilities for the development of independent choreographers and companies; to build communication between members of local and international communities through the arts; to highlight the values of the arts which are advantageous for the future development of the economy and democracy in the country.

The conference/festival, gathering the national community and inviting international colleagues to come and interact to share ideas, cultures and experiences, has become the national meeting place for dance, which represents the culmination of the past seasons' educational and creative efforts as well as a glimpse at the many possibilities for the future.

Details of the workshop/seminar/conference programme is here

Details of the performance programme is here

Last edited by Stuart Sweeney on Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:37 am, edited 12 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:48 pm 

Silesian Dance Theatre in "Innocent dreams on the wane", Choreography - Jacek Łumiński

Performance Festival

There's a rich mix of companies performing from 14 countries, including a strong group of seven from the USA. Overall, it covers student groups as well as some of the biggest names on the international circuit. Looking through, my impression is that the emphasis is on movement-based dance rather than the conceptual dance that is so popular on the festival circuit in Western and Northern Continental Europe:

Tanz Hotel (Austria)

Keave Mooney (Canada)

Mariko Tanabe (Canada)

Kokoro Dance (Canada)

Folkwang Hohschule (Germany)

Hofan Chau (Hong Kong)

Shlomi Bitton (Israel)

Renana Raz (Israel)

Chang Mu Dance Company (Korea)

Aura Dance Theatre (Lithuania)

Silesian Dance Theatre (Poland)

Kalisz (Poland)

Community outreach programs,
Silesian Dance Theatre
and Piekarskie Klachule (Poland)

Integrated Dance Theatre (Poland)

Migreska (Tychy/Bytom, Poland)

Exerese Monobloc (Poznań, Poland)

Polish platform:

Lublin Dance Theatre (Lublin)

Alter Dance Theatre (Kalisz)

Te'Art Kam (Toruń)

Companhia De Danca De Almada (Portugal)

Incluse Theatre (Russia)

Kissima concert (Senegal)

Studio Tanca BB (Slovakia)

Compagnie Drift (Switzerland)

Philadelphia independence (USA)

Joe Alter (USA)

Reggie Wilson (USA)

Dance Advance (USA)

Nai Ni Chen(USA)

Doug Varone and dancers (USA)

Green Chair Dance Group (USA)

I'm sure you'll agree that it's an impressive line-up, especially when you remember that Bytom is only the 20th largest city in Poland.

Last edited by Stuart Sweeney on Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:43 pm 

How To Post on CriticalDance

Now it's your turn. Everyone at CriticalDance and the Bytom Festival will be delighted if you want to post a comment about any aspect of the Confernce and Performance Festival.

To post a comment you, we have made things easier and you don't need to register. Also, postings can be made in:

- English only
- Polish with an English translation
- Polish only, but remember that to reach a wider worldwide audience, it will be best to post at least a summary in English

Please don't worry about the quality of your English. We are keen that you have the chance to practice and we are much more interested in your thoughts and experiences than the precision of your grammar.

To make a posting, you need to click on the "Post Reply" or "New Topic" buttons at the top right of each page in the Forum; type or copy and paste your comments into the posting box; when you are ready, then press the "Add Reply" button.

Note: You can only edit your posting if you do register. When you are registered, you can edit your post by clicking on the "paper and pencil" icon at the right above your post. To register, which is easy and free, click here and follow the steps to register, including agreeing to our Rules, Policies and Disclaimers. You must give a valid e-mail address.

For additional practical information about CriticalDance click here.

Don't worry if you've never written about dance before. Just tell us your reaction to any aspects of the evening, whether good or not. The Rambert staff are keen to have your feedback and, if appropriate, will reply here.

A few words would be great, but if you want to write more you might like to look at our beginners' guide to reviewing.

Any problems or queries, don't hesitate to contact stuart@criticaldance.com

Don't delay - have your say.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:13 pm 

THE 12th YEAR

Five days, ten groups and performers representing three countries and a fight with natives in a local restaurant – that’s the summery of the first Conference which took place in Bytom 11 years ago.

In 1994 those performing included: Melissa Monteros from USA, Duncan Center Theater from Prague and of course Poland’s representatives – Silesian Dance Theatre which organized the conference. Also performing were: Eksperymentalne Studio Tańca, Teatr Tańca DF and Alter group from Kalisz, whose performence can be seen this year on 4th July alongside others Polish companies created in part as a result of 11 conferences to date.

Thanks to the organizers’ ambition and year by year progress the Bytom festival became the most important cultural event in the region, an event of international standing and at the center of media’s interest. This year guests from 13 countries are coming. 11 years ago some newspapers publicated the fight in the restaurant rather than festival programme. Today instead of the local bar there is Fantom – a much safer in-house jazz club.

author: Witold Mrozek
translation: Magdalena Pietraś

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:14 pm 

DWUNASTY ROK

Pięć dni, dziesięć zespołów/wykonawców reprezentujących trzy kraje oraz bójka w restauracji z „miejscowymi” – oto bilans sprzed jedenastu laty, kiedy odbyła się w Bytomiu pierwsza Konferencja (1994).

W 1994 roku wystąpiła m.in.: Melissa Monteros z USA, póżniej współtwórczyni Gdańskiego Teatru Tańca. Z czeskiej Pragi gościliśmy Teatr Duncan Centre, a Polskę reprezentowały – oczywiście poza organizującym imprezę Śląskim Teatrem Tańca – Eksperymentalne Studio Tańca, Teatr Tańca DF oraz kaliski zespół Alter, którego występ można będzie obejrzeć w tym roku 4 lipca na głównej scenie, obok innych zespołów, które powstały w naszym kraju od tego czasu, a niebagatelny wpływ miało na to właśnie jedenaście kolejnych Konferencji.

Dzięki konsekwencji i ambitnym od samego początku zamierzeniom organizatorów, bytomskie spotkanie jest dziś najważniejszą kulturalna imprezą w regionie, o międzynarodowym znaczeniu, cieszy się medialnym rozgłosem i popularyzuje taniec współczesny. W tym roku przybędą na nią goście z trzynastu państw trzech kontynentów. Jedenaście lat temu, niektóre gazety bardziej szczegółowo niż festiwalowe występy opisywały pobicie, do którego doszło w ostatnim dniu Festiwalu (występ gospodarzy) w lokalu, na którego miejscu jest dziś sporo bezpieczniejszy jazz club „Fantom”.

Witold Mrozek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:16 pm 

TWO WEEKS ARE NOT ENOUGH - INETRVIEW WITH JACEK ŁUMIŃSKI

"We haven’t had enough time to learn much, yet we sell ourselves as stars. We haven’t had many opportunities to gain a public, but we have already lost them. We haven’t had many occasions to convince critics that what we do is worth seeing, but they are alredy against us" – Jacek Łumiński tells about the 12th conference on the background of nowadays dance state.

How does this year’s conference differ from previous ones? How can we characterize it?

This year our offering gives a huge range of workshops, catering for beginners through to advanced dancers. For the first time we have Kabuki theatre, Paul Taylor technique taught by one of his dancers, gyrokinesis... Such classes enrich contemporary dance, but they are useful for therapists as well. I want to show that without permanently improving technique you cannot develop. Recently, people, not only in Poland but here too because of globalization, want to become successful as fast as possible. They have no time or they are simply too lazy to work over different dance concepts, techniques etc. when in reality you need a lot of time and passion to understand and adopt all the elements of knowledge in order to become a professional. Those young people who choose the easiest way to achieve the goal make a big mistake and finally they may be lost. They may think themselves wonderful dancers, they may perform without a good education, but no one will understand them because they will lack the skills necessary to express their world vision.

If people really aren’t willing to work, how can we explain such a large, for some people even too large, number of participants of the conference?

A lot of young people come here, but these are usually new dance students. There is no continuation. I wish they had more humility for the dance they adore so much and they kept on developing. I have been always surprised by the fact that dancers don’t want to learn any more! They think they already know everything and don’t have to exercise. That’s the worst mistake! Recently we have had an explosion of modern dance festivals and competitions where many people perform. We haven’t had enough time to learn much, yet we sell ourselves as stars. We haven’t had many opportunities to gain a public, but we have already lost them. We haven’t had many occasions to convince critics that what we do is worth seeing, but they are already against us. I used to support everything what was happening in Poland, but now I am for a good quality, for creating a cult of professionalism.

But you won’t close the workshops for amateurs, will you?

Of course I won’t! The more that happens, the better it is. But the best options should appear from all the numerous activities that take place and the best dancers from those who practice. But they have no chance to be noticed unless they keep on studying. You cannot say after two weeks of our workshops that you know everything, but it seems to me that this happens more often now. Someone comes here for two weeks, exercises somewhere else for an additional week, then dances for one year in a local cultural centre and sees himself as a star. I don’t deny that he or she may become a star, but first of all they have to achieve high skills.

I’ve heard the opinion that you aren’t able to practice your skills at the conference, because there are too many participants. A few of them, standing in the first lines have a chance to improve, while the rest can’t see anything and have no space to move.

I don’t agree with that. It depends on the reason why people come here. If they want to learn hip-hop, they won’t learn it, because we don’t focus on hip-hop. It is one of several forms which are present, because they may be an inspiration for the future creation process. It concerns african dance, salsa etc. as well. Our aim is not to teach these types of dancing. Our aim is to help artista be inspired by them. The most important classes for us are different types of modern and clasic dance, composition... When you practice them, you can learn much.

What influence does the repetition of instructors have for the education process? Some people get sickened by the same names all the time...

Most of the instructors have been coming here for years, because we are satisfied with their work, because relationships and friendships made here need time to develop, because we care about a good atmosphere... That’s why we invite again and again those with whom we like to work. But there is also a large group of new instructors: Johannes Wieland, Rachel Berman, Sally Hess, Charles Gerard, who, I guess, will come back here. But it doesn’t mean that we don’t search for new teachers! I repeat – not even a good teacher can relay the whole of his knowledge, even to the smartest student.

Magdalena Pietraś

Last edited by Bytom Admin on Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:18 pm 

DWA TYGODNIE NIE WYSTARCZĄ - WYWIAD Z JACKIEM ŁUMIŃSKIM

"Jeszcze nie zdążyliśmy się niczego nauczyć, a sprzedajemy się jako gwiazdy. Jeszcze nie zdążyliśmy zdobyć publiczności, a już ją tracimy. Jeszcze nie zdążyliśmy przekonać krytyki, że to, co robimy, jest wartościowe, a już mamy ją przeciwko sobie" – o dwunastej konferencji na tle aktualnej kondycji tańca opowiada Jacek Łumiński.

Co odróżnia aktualną edycję konferencji od jedenastu poprzednich? Jak można by ją scharakteryzować?

Nasza tegoroczna oferta daje ogromny wachlarz zajęć: od tego, co przerabia się na samym początku, do tego, do czego, w pewnym momencie powinno się dojść. Mamy po raz pierwszy teatr kabuki, technikę Taylora nauczaną przez jego tancerkę, gyrokinesis... Takie zajęcia wzbogacają taniec współczesny, ale przydają się równie dobrze ludziom, którzy zajmują się terapią. Zależy mi na pokazaniu, że bez pracy nad techniką, bez rzemiosła nie da się rozwijać. Ostatnio, nie tylko w Polsce, ale tu także przez wpływy globalizacji, ludzie jak najszybciej chca osiagnac sukces. Nie maja czasu, albo po prostu nie chce im się zgłębiać jakichkolwiek tajników koncepcji, techniki, rzemiosła. A na zrozumienie i przyswojenie sobie miedzy innymi tych elementow wiedzy, dobrze rozumianego profesjonalizmu potrzeba czasu i cierpliwosci. Chcąc osiągać sukcesy jak najprostszą drogą mlodzi ludzie popelniaja nie tylko wiele bledow lecz takze gubia sie. I mogą uważać się za wielkie osobowości taneczne, wychodzić na scenę, ale nikt ich nie zrozumie, bo zabraknie im środków do przedstawienia swojej wizji świata.

Jeśli faktycznie ludziom nie chce się pracować, jak wytłumaczyć tak dużą, według niektórych wręcz za duża, frekwencję na konferencji?

Przyjeżdża bardzo wielu młodych ludzi, ale są to ciągle nowi adepci sztuki tanca. Brakuje kontynuacji. Pozostaje wiec nadzieja, ze niektorzy z nich beda mieli wiecej pokory do tanca, ktory tak bardzo wielbia i pozostana wierni idei doskonalenia sie. Zawsze dziwilo mnie, ze tancerze najczesciej nie chca sie dalej uczyc! Uważają, że już wszystko wiedzą i uczyć się nie muszą. A to największy błąd! Ostatnimi czasy przezywamy w Polsce wybuch wszelkiego rodzaju festiwali tańca współczesnego i różnych konkursów, na których pojawia się tłum ludzi pokazujących swoje spektakle. Jeszcze nie zdążyliśmy się niczego nauczyć, a sprzedajemy się jako gwiazdy. Jeszcze nie zdążyliśmy zdobyć publiczności, a już ją tracimy. Jeszcze nie zdążyliśmy przekonać krytyki, że to, co robimy, jest wartościowe, a już mamy ją przeciwko sobie... Tak, jak kiedyś popierałem wszystko, co się w Polsce działo, tak teraz, jestem za jakością, za tym, żeby stworzyć kult rzemiosła, kult profesjonalizmu.

Ale warsztaty nie zostaną w myśl kultu profesjonalizmu zamknięte dla amatorów?

Nie, na pewno nie! Im więcej się dzieje, tym lepiej. Ale z masy wszystkich działań powinny się wyłaniać coraz lepsze propozycje. I coraz lepsi twórcy. A ci mogą się wyłaniać tylko wtedy, kiedy stale się uczą. Nie można np. po takim naszym dwutygodniowym kursie powiedzieć, że się już wszystko wie. A wydaje mi się, że coraz częściej tak się dzieje. Ktoś przyjeżdża do nas na dwa tygodnie, gdzie indziej pouczy się jeszcze przez następny tydzień, potem przez rok potańczy w domu kultury i już chce robić za wielką osobowość artystyczną. Nie przeczę, że z czasem to może być osobowość artystyczna, ale najpierw musi zapracować na wysoką jakość.

Spotkałam się z opinią, że na konferencji trudno pracować nad tą jakością z powodu ogromnej liczby uczestników. Że udaje się to tylko nielicznym, tym z pierwszych rzędów, a reszta już nic nie widzi, nie ma miejsca, aby się ruszyć i nie może skorzystać z zajęć.

Nie zgodzę się z tym. To zależy od tego, po co ludzie tutaj przyjeżdżają. Jeśli po to, żeby nauczyć się np. hip-hopu, to się go nie nauczą, bo to nie jest impreza nastawiona na hip-hop. Jest on jedną z form, które prezentujemy, ponieważ może mieć dla kogoś w przyszłości znaczenie twórcze. Tak samo jest z tańcem afrykańskim, salsą itd. Naszym celem nie jest nauczyć ludzi tych gatunków. Celem jest, żeby salsa, hip-hop i inne formy tańca ulicznego stały się inspiracją do twórczości. A główny nacisk jest na różne formy tańca współczesnego i klasycznego, kompozycję... Korzystając z tego wszystkiego można się dużo nauczyć.

Jakie znaczenie dla tej nauki ma cykliczność, z jaką przyjeżdżają instruktorzy? Niektórych zniechęcają w kółko te same nazwiska...

Większość instruktorów przyjeżdża już od kilku lat, bo się sprawdzili, bo nawiązywane kontakty i przyjaźnie muszą mieć czas, żeby dojrzeć, bo dbamy o przyjemną atmosferę. Dlatego wracamy do nauczycieli, z którymi dobrze się pracuje. Ale pojawiła się też spora grupa nowych instruktorów: Johannes Wieland, Rachel Berman, Sally Hess, Charles Gerard, którzy, myślę, będą przyjeżdżać przez następnych kilka lat. Co nie znaczy, że nie poszukujemy ciagle nowych nauczycieli! Podkreslam, ze zaden dobry nauczyciel przez dawa tygodnie kursu nie przekaze calej swojej wiedzy nawet najzdolniejszemu ze studentów.

Rozmawiała Magdalena Pietraś

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 pm 

DANCE FROM DIRTY EARTH

For five days I have attended the classes of one of the most charismatic instructors at the conference – Luise Frank – who teaches Limon technique.*

Luise teaches dance in Rotterdamse Dansacademie and her experience with dance started at 16 when she went to Amsterdam to become a dancer. She started with ballet because, as she recalls, there was no opportunity to learn modern dance in Europe in those times. Together with Pina Bausch she took lessons from American teachers and the first style she learnt was Martha Graham school, only later she discovering Jose Limon technique. Asked why she hasn’t taught Martha Graham technique in Bytom, she said that two weeks are not enough to know even the rules of Graham school. And the dancers’ skills are limited – for example they should be able to sit in the second dance position.

Luise is a walking instrument. Before the accompanist starts, she lets out different sounds such as “watara!”, “hey!” and “opa!”, while presenting steps to her students. She has an extraordinary energy which can easily infect others and she doesn’t describe herself as a teacher – she’s a dancing teacher. She treats dancers individually, believes in their skills and knows how to bring them out. She believes that not only the bodies of dancers should be changed, but also their minds – the movement itself is not enough.

Luise chooses some elements from Limon technique and shows them to the workshop participants. The basis of this technique is the use of the body’s weight, breathing and gravity. She also highlights the importance of movement visualisation; when we imagine movement inside our body, it will be easier to get it out. The philosophy of Limon style is all about treating dancers’ body and skills individually. All ballet dancers are obliged to dance according to the canon. Limon propagates the natural, long and free movement. For the outsider Limon style appears to be just an opposition to ballet, but in fact it isn’t possible to develop a good knowledge of this contemporary technique without a classical base. Luise Frank keeps on highlighting the importance of using gravity and breaking up beautiful, classical movement. She tells us that “modern dance comes from dirty earth, not from the angels”.

*Jose Limon was born in Mexico in 1908. He started dance studies with Doris Humphrey and Charles Weidman. After World War II he established a company with Humphrey as an artistic director. Most of his choreographies were based on from natural gestures and expression, as he was saying “human grandeur, dignity and nobility”, through themes derived from history, literature and religion. He died in 1972.

author and researcher: Łukasz Zalewski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:47 pm 

Taniec z brudnej ziemi

Od pięciu dni uczęszczam na zajęcia jednej z najbardziej charyzmatycznych nauczycielek Konferencji, Luise Frank, która wprowadza adeptów tańca w tajniki stylu Limona.

Luise Frank uczy tańca w Rotterdamse Dansacademie. Swoją przygodę z tańcem rozpoczęła w wieku 16 lat, kiedy to wyjechała do Amsterdamu z zamiarem zostania tancerką. Rozpoczęła od klasyki, wówczas w Europie – jak sama wspomina – nie było możliwości nauki tańca współczesnego. Razem z Piną Bausch brała lekcje u nauczycieli przyjeżdżających ze Stanów Zjednoczonych. Pierwszą szkołę jaką poznała, była szkoła Marty Graham, potem zetknęła się ze stylem Jose Limona. Pytana dlaczego nie uczy w Bytomiu techniki Marty Graham, odpowiada, że dwa tygodnie to za mało, żeby poznać podstawy szkoły Graham, poza tym możliwości tancerzy są ograniczone, do tego potrzebna jest m.in. umiejętność siedzenia w drugiej pozycji (pozycja w tańcu).

Jest chodzącym instrumentem, zanim akompaniator podejmie temat sama wydając różne odgłosy, od „łatara!” do „hej!” i „opa!”, pokazuje tancerzom schemat. Bije od niej niesamowita energia, którą potrafi zarazić swoich uczniów. Nie określa siebie jako nauczyciela, mówi o sobie, że jest tańczącym nauczycielem. Podchodzi indywidualnie do tancerzy, wierzy w ich możliwości i stara się je z nich wydobyć. Mówi, że trzeba zmieniać umysł tancerza, nie tylko jego ciało. Sam ruch nie wystarczy.
Wydobywa ze stylu Limona techniczne elementy, które przekazuje warsztatowiczom. Podstawą w tej technice jest użycie wagi ciała, grawitacji, oddechu. Ważnym elementem, jak sama podkreśla, jest również wizualizacja ruchu. Kiedy wyobrazimy sobie ruch wewnątrz ciała, łatwiej nam go będzie z siebie wydobyć. Filozofia stylu Limona to traktowanie ciała i możliwości tancerza indywidualnie. W balecie jest kanon, który obowiązuje każdego. Limon propaguje ruch naturalny, długi i nie blokowany. Dla laika styl Limona to opozycja do baletu klasycznego, jednak bez podstaw klasyki nie sposób dobrze rozwinąć wiedzy o tej szkole. Jak ważne jest wykorzystywanie grawitacji i zerwanie z kanonem lekkiego pięknego ruchu, propagowanego przez klasykę, Luise Frank podkreśla wielokrotnie, powtarzając na zajęciach: „taniec współczesny pochodzi z brudnej ziemi, nie od aniołów”.

Jose Limon, urodził się w Meksyku w 1908 roku, zaczął studiował taniec z Doris Humphrey i Charlesem Weidmanem, po Drugiej Wojnie Światowej założył własny zespół z Humphrey jako dyrektor artystyczną, większość jego choreografii opierała się od naturalnych gestów i ekspresji, jak mówił „wielkości, godności i szlachetności człowieka” po teamty zaczerpnięte z historii, literatury i religii. Zmarł w 1972 roku.

Zebrał i opracował
Łukasz Zalewski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:21 am 

THE FIRST DANCE LIBRARY IN POLAND

The mystery of the new occupants of a historical building at Rynek 7 in Bytom will become clear in a few days time: the first dance library in Poland is to be located here. The idea came from Jacek Łumiński, the founder, director and choreographer of Silesian Dance Theatre. Unfortunately the birth process has lasted for two years as Polish administrators still have deep-rooted bureaucratic mechanisms. The extraordinary fact is that neither funding for the project nor financial support from the town authorities exist. So how is it possible?
Leslie Gertz’s* help was indispensible. She contacted her American friends to find people who would „adopt”** dance magazines and donate publications connected with dance. As a result, the library has already received 300 books, previous issies of 600 periodicals, 100 recent issues of magazines and video tapes. Among them we can find examples concerning history, therapy, criticism, biographies and photo albums, mostly in English.

But this is only the start. The next step is to classify the collected materials. Agnieszka Łakomy, a graduate of library studies from University of Silesia, offered her help as a volunteer to match her passion with acquired skills.

We hope that library will be open soon for all dance lovers, because in Poland the provision of such facilities in this field is very poor and, apart from this initiative, the situation is unlikely to change quickly.

author: Dominika Szala

* Leslie Getz (USA) is a founder and publisher of „Attitudes & Arabesques” monthly – a bibliographical guide for dance literature. She co-operated in creating a number of catalogues of books and academic literature, prepared for the annual conferences of the Dance Critics’ Assosiation. Her book „Dancers and Choreographers: A Selected Bibliography” was published in 1995. For six years she has been responsible for preparing the list of books nominated for the Jose Rollins de la Torre’s prize for dance literature.

** „Adoption” of magazines means buying subscription of certain periodicals and donating them for the Silesian Dance Theatre library.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:32 am 

PIERWSZA W POLSCE BIBLIOTEKA TAŃCA

Być może w przeciągu najbliższych dni wyjaśni się zagadka związana z przeznaczeniem zabytkowego budynku, mieszczącego się pod adresem Rynek 7 w Bytomiu. Ma tu powstać pierwsza w Polsce biblioteka tańca. Pomysłodawcą jest Jacek Łumiński, założyciel, dyrektor i choreograf Śląskiego Teatru Tańca. Przygotowania trwają już od dwóch lat. Niestety, w świadomości polskich urzędników silnie zakorzenione są zawiłe mechanizmy biurokracji. Fenomenem całej sytuacji jest zerowy budżet oraz brak finansowego wsparcia ze strony miasta. Powstaje więc pytanie jak to zrobić?

Nieoceniona okazała się pomoc Leslie Gertz,* która skontaktowała się z przyjaciółmi z USA, szukając wśród nich chętnych do „adopcji” czasopism** oraz podarowania wszelkich materiałów związanych z tańcem. Okazało się, że wszystko jest możliwe. W odpowiedzi biblioteka dostała już około 300 książek, 600 periodyków z datą wsteczną, 100 bieżących czasopism oraz kasety video. W zbiorach znaleźć możemy publikacje dotyczące historii, terapii, krytyki tańca, biografie, albumy - większość w języku angielskim.

To nie jest jednak koniec pracy. Kolejny etap to porządkowanie, opisanie oraz opracowanie otrzymanych materiałów. Tego zadania, jako wolontariusz, podjęła się Agnieszka Łakomy, absolwentka Bibliotekoznawstwa Uniwersytetu Śląskiego, łącząc w ten sposób pasję z umiejętnościami.

Miejmy nadzieję, że wkrótce biblioteka otworzy swoje podwoje dla wszystkich pasjonatów tańca, gdyż w Polsce bibliografia dotycząca tej dziedziny jest nadzwyczaj uboga i w najbliższym czasie nie zanosi się na zmiany.
Dominika Szala

* Leslie Getz (USA) jest twórcą i wydawcą miesięcznika Attitudes& Arabesques, bibliograficznego przewodnika po literaturze tanecznej. Przyczyniła się do stworzenia wielu rocznych zestawień książek i literatury specjalistycznej, powstających na potrzeby kolejnych konferencji Stowarzyszenia Krytyków Tańca. Jej książka Dancers and Choreographers: A Selected Bibliography została opublikowana w 1995 roku. Od sześciu lat autorka jest odpowiedzialna za wybór i zestawienie listy książek nominowanych do nagrody Jose Rollins de la Torre w dziedzinie literatury tanecznej.

** „Adopcja” czasopism polega na opłaceniu prenumeraty konkretnego periodyku oraz podarowaniu go bibliotece Śląskiego Teatru Tańca.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:33 am 
Framing the scene - interview with Bartłomiej Barczyk, photographer from “Gazeta Wyborcza”.

I have no memories of my first Zorka or Zenith, [cheap brands of cameras] because I never had one. I started “unluckily” with a better camera. I took my first film without any problems and they were good as well. So I was quite extraordinary.

Photography was a way of attracting girls. But something unexpected happened – it was the photography that attracted him. They are a typical couple. They have their honeymoons and their silent days. They quarrel and then reconcile. They even think from time to time about separation. But their relationship brought some good effects – one of them is the first prize in Polish Press Photography competition in 2003 (category – culture). Now Bartłomiej Barczyk is the chief of the photo department of “Gazeta Wyborcza” in Kielce. And he feels that photography and him have still many years together...

How did your romance with photography start?
I was studying in a Photography Studio where I was taught the basics of photography.. That was more like a game – searching for interesting frames, playing with light, fascination with space and people appeared on the scene later.

What was your first camera?
I don’t pay attention to equipment. The technical side is not interesting. I am much more fascinated by frames – does the photo mean anything? I admit that in some circumstances the quality of camera matters, but thinking and noticing this “something” is more important. And you can achieve it without good equipment, although you have to work harder then. Justifying one’s failure by the lack of a particular lens discredits the photographer.

What does photography mean for you? What philosophy do you subscribe to?
Photography is a part of my life. It determines the way I see people and the things that surround me. It is a prism through which I perceive the world. I have no difficulties with working with a camera – it is a pleasure, joy, emotion, and adventure.

What is characteristic for dance photography? How do you work with dancers?
I can’t say that dance photography is something different than for example taking pictures of strike. There are emotions and relations in it, so sometimes I feel like an intruder. If it is about a performance – I don’t like taking pictures of a completed work . I feel like a thief then. I prefer to search on my own.

Dancers and me – we understand each other. I make the documentation of what we experience together. Dance is an inspiration; it channels the energy coming from the dancers. I prefer to arrange photos in places like factories, mines, and storehouses. That’s what I like. A dancer put in a new place tries to transform this space with his body. I watch it and take photos; it's a kind of symbiosis.
At the performance I feel like an intruder. The camera disturbs, causes interference to the audience. That’s why it is better to take pictures during rehearsals.

When did you start to work with dancers?
Three years ago at the conference. I met them and this style of art for the first time. I choose people who are individuals, not necessarily dancers. It is an interesting job. Strangers are a challenge.

Did you have any accidents, strange situations connected with it?People from abroad, who come here, are more open and have fewer complexes than Poles. I envy them. They often provide me with more than I could expect. They are really involved in what they do. They give me their time not treating it as a favour. And it is a very intense time.

Why didn’t you decide to lead the photography workshops during the conference?
I resigned to concentrate on work with dancers outside. I preferred to choose one of these things and to treat it seriously.

And who is your master in photography discipline?
I don’t have one. There are a lot of good photographers and quite often they are not famous. I find their works on the Internet by accident. I respect many of them, but I don’t have one ideal.

Have you ever thought about making films?
Film is something totally different. Maybe one day the right time will come. But there is still much to do in photography.

Joanna Prycz, Aneta Głowacka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:42 am 
Association aims to unite Modern Dance
author: Łukasz Zalewski

The Polish Association of Modern Dance’s aim is to create connections among the dance society by uniting the various efforts to build modern dance in Poland. It gathers together independent dancers and dance companies. However, as Jacek Łumiński has said: „nowadays the Association is a dead institution, its state hasn’t changed for 10 years”. Perhaps the Association is waiting for better conditions for its activity, as at present, the dancers cannot organize themselves. The Association is needed for several reasons – first of as a centre of information about the infrastructure connected with modern dance and to promote the art form in Poland and abroad. For the foreign press, modern dance in our country is a big mystery. In Poland, everyone complains, but no one is trying to change anything. In addition, there is no real base with information about companies, festivals, choreographers, and dance teachers. Because of that, the Association published an English language booklet about dance in Poland. Unfortunately it is uncompleted because, as Jacek Łumiński mentioned, „it is very difficult to get information from the dancers”.

In 2006, Adam Mickiewicz University and Silesian Dance Theatre will organise a congress about the situation of dance in Poland and perhaps this will form a new start for the Association’s development. It will enable dance theoreticians and practitioners to meet from across the country to share experiences and expertise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:28 am 

STOWARZYSZENIE MIAŁO ŁĄCZYĆ

Polskie Stowarzyszenie Tańca Współczesnego ma na celu stworzenie powiązań między środowiskami tanecznymi w kraju poprzez zjednoczenie sił w budowaniu tańca współczesnego w Polsce. Stowarzysza ono niezależnych tancerzy i zespoły taneczne w kraju. Jak mówi Jacek Łumiński, „obecnie Stowarzyszenie jest martwą jednostką, utrzymuje się stan sprzed 10 lat”. Organizacja czeka na bardziej sprzyjające warunki do rozwoju swojej działalności. Obecnie tancerze nie potrafią się zorganizować. Stowarzyszenie potrzebne jest z wielu powodów - przede wszystkim jako centrum informacji na temat środowisk związanych z tańcem współczesnym i propagowania go zarówno w kraju, jak i za granicą. Dla prasy zagranicznej zjawisko tańca współczesnego w naszym kraju jest wielką zagadką, wszędzie są pretensje, ale nikt nic nie robi. Nie ma konkretnej bazy z informacjami na temat zespołów, festiwali, choreografów, kadry kształcącej tancerzy. Naprzeciw temu wyszło Stowarzyszenie, wydając w języku angielskim informator dotyczący tańca w Polsce. Informator jest jednak niekompletny gdyż, jak wspomina J. Łumiński, „bardzo ciężko jest zebrać jakiekolwiek informacje od tancerzy”.

Być może przygotowywany przez Uniwersytet im. Adama Mickiewicza w Poznaniu i Śląski Teatr Tańca i planowany na 2006 rok kongres, który będzie poświecony sytuacji tańca w Polsce, okaże się dobrym gruntem dla rozwoju Stowarzyszenia. Pozwoli on „dokonać ekspertyzy” i umożliwi spotkanie teoretyków i praktyków tańca z całego kraju.

Łukasz Zalewski