home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RB in the Linbury: Dowson/Quanz/Brandstrup/McGregor/Tuckett
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:25 am 

Quote:
Inspired by Ashton
by JUDITH MACKRELL for the Guardian

In fact, inspiration is not too strong a word for three of the works that appear in this programme, although - not surprisingly - it eludes those that try hardest to echo Ashton's style.

published: June 18, 2005
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:23 am 

Back to the future
Frederick Ashton is brought into the 21st century, says Jann Parry for The Observer.

It's too soon to tell where dance is heading this century. Ballet companies avoid the issue by commemorating every kind of anniversary from the past 200 years, while searching frantically for new talent. The Royal Ballet's latest ploy has been to commission four young-ish choreographers to make works inspired by Frederick Ashton, as an optimistic conclusion to his centennial celebrations.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:40 am 

Inspired by Ashton
Royal Ballet
Linbury Theatre
London
16th June 2005

Inspiration can take many forms, but it was intriguing to discover that the two most successful items in the programme Inspired by Ashton seemed to have no possible link with Britain’s most celebrated choreographer at all.

The two outstanding works were “Three Footnotes to Ashton” choreographed by Kim Brandstrup and “Engram” by Wayne McGregor, both pieces showcasing the extraordinary talents of Alina Cojocaru. In the Brandstrup work Cojocaru was paired with her regular partner, Johann Kobborg and they dazzled in a lightning fast pas de deux of mounting excitement in the first half of the piece with a slower more thoughtful solo following it danced by Zenaida Yanowsky. Wonderful usage of music by Gluck and Handel, not the easiest composers for dance.

Cojocaru changed partners for Wayne McGregor’s “Engram”, dancing with the handsome Frederico Bonelli, this was a very sexy number, totally at odds with Cojocaru’s usual repertoire, but she seized the opportunity of dancing something radically different and proved that she has more varied abilities than one might first think. The opening of this work subjected the audience to eardrum splitting noise that eventually settled into something more acceptable. At the end of the ballet a photomontage of Ashton flashed onto the screen in split second images, reminding us of who had motivated the evening’s offerings.

The opening ballet “Momento” by Antony Dowson was a traditional looking affair with the girls dressed in white tutus performing in strictly classical style. I wasn’t too impressed, but on reflection I think the ballet might have more merit than I initially thought, as quite frankly it was rather poorly danced with the exception of the always-impressive Laura Morera. I don’t think I have seen anything by Mr Dowson before, but on this showing he has potential.

“Fantasy” by Peter Quanz was a work for five male and five female dancers in vaguely period costumes to some very attractive music by Schubert. Over long and not very interesting, I’m not sure where the fantasy of the title came from; it certainly didn’t have anything in common with any fantasies that I’ve ever had.

Finally “MR BEAR-SQUASH-YOU-ALL-FLAT” was an amiable piece by Will Tuckett, but a work that might be better aimed at children I think. There were nice little cameo roles for dancers as animals, though very human animals: a frog, hedgehog, donkey and so on all living happily in a tree trunk until confronted by Christopher Saunders as a big bad bear. Dressed in eveningwear with opera cloak and cigar it’s easy to imagine the bear as the archetypal wicked capitalist out to wreck their happy commune. The music was by Ashton’s collaborator Constant Lambert and was rather like Prokofiev’s ‘Peter & the Wolf’ but without any tunes. Terry Edwards, formerly with the Royal Opera, made a perfect narrator. Of all the ballets on show that evening this was only one that lived up to being Ashton influenced, as Ashton adored this sort of whimsy and indeed created something similar of his own in his Tales of Beatrix Potter film.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:40 am 

Darn it! Another good programme I managed to miss. Thanks for letting us know about it Cassandra. I remember Cojocaru in Page's "This House will burn" in the days before she was a Principal. She impressed in that role too, even though she had some nervousness about the style of the piece, initially.

Brandstrup is really on a roll. His duets for the Royal Ballet and "Out of Denmark" were also top notch.

McGregor is rapidly becoming the UKs answer to Mark Morris as regards his ability to choreograph for ballet as well as contemporary. I should add hurriedly that there is little similarity between their styles.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:04 am 

Quote:
Inspired by Ashton Linbury Theatre, London
by CLEMENT CRISP for the Financial Times

These penny-pinched displays are so desperately needed, as seed-beds for the company's creative future, that it would be money well spent to fund two a year, and go without yet another dismal redesign of some repertory work.

published: June 21 2005
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:13 pm 

Inspired by Ashton
By Debra Craine for The Times

THE Royal Ballet season has ended as it began, with a tribute to its founder choreographer Frederick Ashton, whose centenary the company has been celebrating. While upstairs in the Royal Opera House’s main auditorium the Royal Ballet was honouring his genius with A Month in the Country and Symphonic Variations, downstairs in the Linbury they were honouring his spirit.

Here four choreographers were invited to create new works for the company.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:07 am 

Quote:
Bare-chested yokel seduced by a tiny cat on heat
by ISMENE BROWN for the Daily Telegraph

Still, to have three of the five works well worth seeing is a fine strike rate. These were the pas de deux by Kim Brandstrup, Wayne McGregor and Anthony Dowson - the first two from contemporary dance, the last familiar on the ballet schools' circuit.

published: June 21, 2005
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:05 am 

Inspired by Ashton
By John Percival for The Stage

The Royal Ballet called its evening of new works Inspired by Ashton, but I could not truly see any effective Ashton influence. By far the most enjoyable piece in fact was inspired by Ashton’s friend and colleague Constant Lambert, whose centenary falls this year. He wrote Mr Bear-Squash-You-All-Flat aged 18, adapting a Russian children’s tale into an anecdote with music.

click for more

Profile E-mail