public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oh well...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:40 pm 
If worse comes to worse, 123 bucks isn't very different than what I would have had to pay to order direct from Denmark. Like I said, I'm really excited about getting such a remarkable collection of music and history. Impulse buy much? Probably, but what else are you going to to with graduation money? (Well, I WOULD spend it on chocolate milk probably, lots of it, gallons really...I do LOVE chocolate milk...Hey, Stuart, how much is chocolate milk in GB?:-D )

Ricky D3...wants chocolate milk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:48 am 

Most things are more expensive in the UK, Ricky.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:16 am 

Stuart is right, it's about $2 to £1. Life is much more expensive in Europe - generally one pays about twice as much for something over here as you would in the US.

So, the book/CD set costs about $100 before taxes and shipping. You may also have to pay a customs fee when the package arrives in the US, though I can't remember what the cutoff if for new items.

Kate

Post subject: Here's an idea...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:54 am 
...you know, if I were smart, and SOMETIMES I'm pretty close, I would move to Europe, work there, save up, move back to USA, and cut down the student loan reimbursement time by half. I have over $35,000 American to pay back starting in...November?? I'm already saving up now, cuz it's gonna break my back soon, if dancing doesn't break it already. :-P

Ricky D3

ps. the above was a complete joke, a scheme our great American queen of comedy Lucielle Ball might have appreciated...couldn't you just hear her now, clapping and rubbing her hands together??

"AH HAH, ETHEL!!!"

Post subject: I GOT 'EM
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:33 pm 
I finally received my package, containing the Book and the CD's, and I have to say this is one fine resource. The book contains text in both Danish and English (english text is printed on blue pages which succeeds the initial danish pages of text). It is within the danish text, however, that you will find additional photographs, lithographs, ink caricatures and other visuals that supplement the Books textual content. And what better way to read the book than with the music from Bournonville's ballets playing in the background, the whole scene makes for quite an unexpectedly enjoyable experience.

If you don't understand Bournonville ballet, you will after reading this book and listening to this wonderful collection of music. The book traverses deeper than simply examining the stories and dances in each ballet, but also explores the values of danish society reflected in the ballets and the prominence of the theater in 19th century Copenhagen, and how both influence the work of Bournonville, and vice versa. The above is a completely unfair and immature assessment of this work, you must experience it all for yourself. Even if you've seen several of Bournonville's ballets or works recreated elsewhere, if you read this book, that experience of watching those beautiful works of art will permeate far beyond the seemingly brief running time of those performances. (For those of you who didn't enjoy Far From Denmark, the book almost forsees this and defends the intention and integrity of the work, as well as the national history surrounding the time of its creation...KARMA, HUH??)

Anyhow, it was very much worth the 74 dollars I paid...or was it 134...was that in kroners or pounds?? Oh heck, buy it already, the music and images will transcend any language...or currency conversion...

Ricky D3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:55 pm 

Very pleased it's all worked out, Ricky. Enjoy!

Profile E-mail