public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kim Glasco Settles with NBoC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2000 7:08 am 

The CBC reported on Wednesday that a settlement agreement would be announced today (Thursday) by attorneys for Ms. Glasco and the National Ballet of Canada. The Globe and Mail reports the same in Thursday's edition. For The Globe's story: <A HREF="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/hubs/arts.html" TARGET=_blank>www.theglobeandmail.com/hubs/arts.html</A> and enter "ballet" in the seven-day search box.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Kim Glasco Settles with NBoC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2000 7:26 am 

Image <BR>iculture's article on the same: <A HREF="http://www.infoculture.cbc.ca/archives/dance/dance_07192000_glasco.phtml" TARGET=_blank>http://www.infoculture.cbc.ca/<BR>archives/dance/dance_07192000_glasco.phtml</A> <P>"Today's announcement is expected to<BR> state that the former principal dancer will get a<BR> financial settlement, but won't dance with the<BR> company again."<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited July 23, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2000 7:41 am 

the story in The Globe & Mail :<P>i'm sorry, but i find this link completely unmanageable, and the rest of the thread unreadable, with it here.<P>the link that WAS here can be found by going to the globe and mail, and typing glasco in the search box.<P>here is the globe and mail link:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/hubs/arts.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.theglobeandmail.com/hubs/arts.html</A> <BR><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited July 23, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2000 8:04 am 

The "Agreed Public Statement" was just sent to me via e-mail from Canada NewsWire. (Sorry, no URL yet.) NBoC now agrees that "Ms. Glasco is an outstanding ballerina in both classical and contemporary ballets who has many years left in her career as a principal dancer. She is a widely acclaimed artist of unique abilities who has performed a broad range of ballets and will continue to do so in the future. Neither the National Ballet's original decision not to renew Ms. Glasco's contract nor any subsequent public statements regarding the matter by the Ballet's representatives were intended to reflect in any way on Ms. Glasco's fine qualities as a dancer. The National Ballet regrets any adverse effects caused to Ms. Glasco." It is further agreed that: Ms. Glasco has dedicated her life to NBoC; Ms. Glasco has no "artistic differences" with Mr. Kudelka; and there will be a "substantial settlement" which remains confidential. Ms. Glasco's relationship with NBoC ends effective immediately.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2000 9:55 am 

What does everyone think of this....lengthly fiasco finally over...yes...no?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2000 11:01 am 

It's over for Ms. Glasco. I'm sure the NBoC's board hopes it's over, too....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2000 12:51 pm 

It was my hope that it would end this way. As far as I can see, NBoC have come as close to admitting blame as you can get and Ms Glasco will receive ample compensation.<P>Somehow it was always difficult for me to envisage her back at the Company. This way NBoC can now try to get back to normal having made and 'admitted' to a bad mistake. Let's hope that they now put procedures in place (perhaps like those at Paris Opera Ballet) which mean that they won't be in this position again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2000 2:06 pm 

I have consolidated the thread from 'Ballet' with the one from Dirk that was here in Issues. Here are Dirk's comments:<P>********************************************<P>Front-page story in the Globe and Mail today (www.globeandmail.ca) says Kimberly has bowed out of the National Ballet with a "high six-figure" settlement.<P>The story is, as usual, quite favorable to her, reminding the reader not just of the arbitrator's decision, but also its emphatic support by two judges, and of Kudelka's childish pique as well.<P>I'd love to say more if more were to be said, but I'm off the Web, away and incommunicado for a week.<P>Cheers... ...dirk<P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2000 11:46 am 

The Friday (July 21) Globe & Mail has a lengthy response from Ms. Glasco, who explains why she opted to settle. See the above links to The Globe's website.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2000 5:04 pm 

This is the Globe & Mail story Francis is referring to:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/hubs/arts.html," TARGET=_blank>http://www.theglobeandmail.com/hubs/arts.html,</A> type 'glasco' in the search box (top left), it's article #5, as of today (i assume it will go down the list if more appears in print).<P>It is written by Glasco herself, who opens with the statement, "I will never forget the first day of December, 1998, when I was called in to meet the National Ballet's artistic director, James Kudelka. In just five minutes, I was told that my 18-year career with the National was over." Chilling.<P><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited July 23, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2000 1:51 am 

Well I have to say that Ms Glasco's article is impressive. There is no crowing over the victory, but a calm feeling of justice having been done and a belief that it will benefit the profession. Do others read it the same way?<P>I'm sure that she has made the right decision to settle. If she had wanted to spend all her time with matters legal, she would have become a lawyer.<P>I hope she can now find a berth that will allow the ballet world to fully utilise her skills and her knowledge.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2000 8:16 am 

I see opportunities for her in the US. There are companies here that might be interested in using her skills and talent, as a dancer, teacher or in an artistic administrative role.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2000 1:28 am 

frankly, albrecht, i think you have a rosy view of the world!<P>i can't see her getting any work anywhere, but i do think she has won well and truly here - in the legal, financial and moral sense, although her victory is hollow in terms of her dancing career.<P>the "Agreed Public Statement" made by NBofC reads as if it could ONLY have been written by HER lawyers, or by her. <P>even having supported HER 'side' here, i find that statement unrealistic and full of hyperbole. without ever having seen her dance, i can safely say that no 40+ year old ballerina "has many years left in her career as a principal dancer", for example....sad but true!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2000 11:07 am 

No, I didn’t go on a drinking binge sipping champagne from Kimberly Glasco’s pointe shoe! <BR> Image My internet service provider was out to lunch for a few days. Hence...this late posting. What more could I possible write that I haven’t already written? Glasco won in every way except she won’t be returning to dance on the stage of the Hummingbird Centre. Or, will she? It is tradition that a dancer receive a farewell performance—for most ballet companies with class. Unfortunately “class” is something the National Ballet of Canada no longer possesses. It would not surprise me to see Glasco dance for a small company like Ballet Jorgen at the Hummingbird Centre. As for continuing her career as before, I’m afraid I have to side with Grace. I can’t envision many Artistic Directors who would risk offending the National Ballet of Canada. The best Glasco could hope for is guesting from time to time in the States or Europe or perhaps Australia. Looking further into my crystal ball, I see James Kudelka as the world’s first Silent Artistic Director. I don’t think the National Ballet of Canada will ever allow him to speak in public again. He will be muzzled. Same goes for Executive Director Valerie Wilder. <P>This was an upset of Man of War proportions. Over and over the NBoC said Glasco was given bad advice and would lose her suit. Glasco beat 418 years of all omnipotent rule! From Petipa to Balanchine to Kudelka, and every ballet boss in-between, the dance-maker has always enjoyed the role of Artistic Dictator. Kudelka is still the Artistic Dictator of the National Ballet of Canada but it cost the NBoC’s insurance company a rumored $1 to 2 million in lawyer fees and the $1 to 1.5 million settlement package for Glasco. Then there’s all the bad publicity and the fact the ballet admitted that they lied about Glasco not speaking up at board meetings. They also admitted that “Glasco is an outstanding ballerina in both classical and contemporary ballets and that she has many years left in her career as a principal dancer.” Talk about eating crow! Bon appetit! Glasco also defeated 3 law firms: McCarthy and Tétrault, Mathews, Dinsdale & Clark, as well as the firm of Genest, Murray, DesBrisay & Lamek. She also beat the combined efforts of the National Ballet’s very powerful Board of Directors. See below:<P>Geoffrey Beattie, Partner for Tory, Deslauriers & Binnington.<P>Howard Beck, Chairman of Philip Services.<P>Diana Chant of Price Waterhouse Coopers.<P>Joan Dea, VP of The Boston Consulting Group of Canada Inc.<P>Catherine A. Delaney, President of C.A. Delaney Capital Management Ltd.<P>Jennifer Fournier, former dancer for the NBoC.<P>Rose Patten Di Giacomo, Senior VP of Corporate Services for the Bank of Montreal.<P>Ronald Gage, Chairman and CEO of Ernst & Young.<P>Kevin Garland, Senior VP of CIBC Development Corporation.<P>Brian R. Gibbings, Executive VP of Langsmaid Corporation.<P>Lawrence Heisey, Chairman of Harlequin Enterprises.<P>Peter Irwin, President & CEO of Verticore Communications Ltd.<P>David Kassie, Chairman of CIBC-Wood Gundy Capital.<P>Donald K. Johnson, Vice Chairman of Nesbitt Burns Limited.<P>Chris Li of Fortune Investment.<P>Samantha Lloyd, ballet fan.<P>David C.W. MacDonald, Joint Managing Director of Bunting Warburg Inc.<P>Timothy MacDonald, CP of A.T. Kearney Ltd.<P>Murray J. Makin, Chairman & CEO of Northern Telephone Ltd.<P>Allen C. Marple, Former Chairman of the board for the NBoC and former President of Spectrum United Mutual Funds.<P>Sue Matthews, Partner of Langdon Associates.<P>Eleanor McCain, ballet fan.<P>James L. McGovern, President & CEO of BPI Mutual Funds.<P>Julie Medland, Chair of the Patrons Council Committee<P>Gordon Nixon, Head of Global Investment Banking.<P>James O’Connor, former dancer for the NBoC.<P>Richard Padulo, President & CEO of Padulo Integrated Inc.<P>Henry Pankratz, Current Chairman of the NBoC<P>Greg Reed, Director of McKinsey & Company.<P>Aaron Regent, President & CEO of Trilon Securities Corporation.<P>Russel C. Robertson, Managing Partner of Arthur Andersen & Co.<P>Andrea S. Rosen, Vice Chair of TD Securities.<P>William C Ross, Partner of Weir & Foulds.<P>Susan Scace, Chair of the Foundations Committee.<P>Dorothy Sjogren of The Printing House Charitable Office.<P>Wayne G. Squibb, President & CEO of the Realstar Group.<P>Mavis Staines, Artistic Director of The National Ballet School.<P>David Thompson, President & Ceo of Cominco Limited.<P>Raymond Tizzard, National Ballet Orchestra rep as well as James Kudelka and Valerie Wilder.<P> Image Bravo Kimberly Glasco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<P>*** As far as I know, that group of 40 plus directors has been reduced to 12 as reported on Critical Dance from an article in the Globe & Mail. What happened to the other directors? If the National Ballet of Canada is to survive they will need leadership to overcome the mess created by James Kudelka. Unfortunately, it will be up to James Kudelka to clean up the mess he created. I for one will not support the NBoC with charitable donations until James Kudelka and Valerie Wilder resign or retire. <P> <BR><p>[This message has been edited by Michael Goldbarth (edited July 23, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2000 11:47 am 

Michael, like the rest of us, you will make your own decisions as to which arts organisations you support at any time.<P>It occurs to me that for the NBoC situation there is an anology here with the Truth and Reconciliation hearings in South Africa. The NBoC has behaved badly, but after an extended period they have admitted this and made recompense. I hope that they and the individuals in the Company have also learned a number of important lessons.<P>I can envisage a scenario where it makes sense to say that the time has come to put the institution first, draw a line under the past and support the NBoC as it refocusses its attention to its primary aim. <BR>I certainly hope that NBoC continues and for the time being that can only be with the current management, if only to avoid another round of costly litigation.

Profile E-mail