public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:32 am 

Greetings!

I don't know of any planned DVDs or videos other than the Bournonville Class DVD, but the final gala on June 11th is scheduled to be aired live on one of the national channels in Denmark (DR1 or DR2).

I can't speak as to exactly why most of the celebrations are in Copenhagen, but perhaps is just a matter of practicality & economics. The Bournonville Festivals have always been in Copenhagen, since they are centered around the Royal Danish Ballet, and with the celebrations really just lasting for 10 days, it probably made financial and organizational sense to have them all in Copenhagen, especially for the benefit of the foreign visitors at the Festival.

Also, perhaps it's because, as opposed to Andersen, who was from Odense, Bournonville spent most of his time in Denmark in Copenhagen, given that he was balletmaster and dancer with the Royal Danish Ballet.

I would note that the Andersen festivities have been the subject of increasing criticism as they have run over budget, so perhaps the compact, Copenhagen based Bournonville Festival is a much more appropriate way to celebration an import Danish arts.

Cheers!
Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:53 pm 

Hej,

I'll do my best to seat in front of my tv on 11th! Unless I can be in Copenhaguen this day. Do you think it's possible to get some billet the 11th :?: ? I remember that for Harald Lander anniversary our reservation has been arise accidentaly but we could get seats anyway.

I understand and I agree that Copenhaguen is the best place for such an event and Copenhaguen is not so far but well, there is almost no ballet in the teaters program in Aarhus (I mean classic ballet) and denmark has a very good ballet compagnie. I want see its dancers more!

serenade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:54 pm 

I think that the gala on the 11th has been sold out for a while, but tickets sometimes do become available for events that have been listed as 'sold out'. You could try calling the box office to see if they have tickets or know whether any tickets might become available.

It is frustrating when there are great ballet companies, but they don't perform that close to where you live. We have the Scottish Ballet up here, but none of the good English companies (Royal Ballet, English National Ballet and Birmingham Royal Ballet) ever come up this far north. Very frustrating.

If you could have the Royal Danish Ballet come to dance Aarhus, which ballets would you have them perform? What dancers would you choose for the main roles?

Cheers
Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:05 pm 

My favorite female dancer at the Royal Ballet is Gudrun Bojesen. She's marvellous.I would like see her in "Etudes". "Etudes" is my favorite ballet with "Giselle".
Otherwise I like a lot the dance of Silja Schandorff and Rose Gad. I've seen Silja in Aarhus once in "In the middle" and I've been very impressed,but it was only the pas de deux. I think her energy and morphology fit very well with the neo classic and modern choregraphies.

Concerning male dancers I like Keneth Greve and Morten Eggert. And that's a pity that Nikolaj Hubbes doesn't come more often in Denmark.

It would be great to be able to applaude them in Aarhus in a big classic (like Napoli, the Nutscracker, Giselle ...) and a ballet aften with Balanchine, Robbins, Forsythe... :wink:

serenade
PS: sorry for my very bad english :oops: and since I've a French klavier I miss Danish letter. Sorry for name's spelling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:30 am 

No apologies necesary, Serenade - we value your contributions.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:08 am 

Hey all!
I'm going to Denmark (from London) with a friend of mine for the Bournonville festival, due to work commitments we can't make it before 8th but we're going to all the performances from 8th to the 11th june.....

I got our tickets to the gala about a year and a half ago......when they were first one sale - i had a feeling they'd sell out!!

I'd go with previous comments and suggest that you ring the box office and take it from there - you might find that they've held a few tickets back for sale on the day too....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:37 am 

Welcome Maria!!

We look forward to hearing your comments on the performances and your experiences at the Festival! It should be a wonderful 10 days, with some pretty incredible performances.

As a heads up to those attending the Gala, it is expected to be fancier than normal performances - i.e. black tie or thereabouts. And you may find that during the rest of the week, people are dressed more formally than normal at the Royal Theatre.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:17 am 

I had a feeling it might head that way....

I'm personally looking forward to seeing Far from Denmark, one of the only B' ballets i have yet to see....my friend on the other hand hasn't seen any of the ballets so its REALLY exciting for her!

I'm sure that we'll have lots of things to say in a week and a half when its all over!! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:41 am 

'Far From Denmark' is the only Bournonvile ballet I haven't seen either, and unfortunately I won't be there to see it this time. So I eagerly await reports!

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:16 am 

Hej,

Well I think I'll stay in front of my tv.
Maria, you booked your tickcets 1 1/2 ago! I understand from England you planned it so early and well I was expecting some student tickets but never mind. You'll just have to tell how it was.

serenade

Post subject: Bournonville in UK
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:32 am 

Do not despar. A group of Danish dancers including Thomas Lund, mads Blangstrup and Kristoffer Sakurai and Gudrun Bojesen will dance a Bournonville highligt programme at Sadlers Wells from June 22

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:14 am 

That's right, Effy, and a number of us who will not make it to the Festival are looking forward to the Sadler's visit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:37 am 

Well, i'm seeing them at Sadler's Wells too......i'm going to be totally bournonville-d out!! Not that I mind, my dissertation was bournonville based, so i watched loads of his ballets for "research".

But then again i'm a huge Royal Danish fan.....whenever i'm over visiting family (i'm half danish) i'll go and see them.....and i do usually try to get the under 26 50% discount thing that the royal theatre offer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:49 am 

Darn it! I just miss the under 26 discount.....by 30 odd years.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:04 am 

Just a few thoughts about the festival before my return to London tomorrow and the posting of the reviews for the performances I have seen in the last few days.
Firstly, a word to congratulate the organisers of the Festival! Everything is so well organised it is a real pleasure to be part of this event!
The activities that have been organised for the press are informative and thorough, there is no room for complaint about the amount of information that we all seem to be getting on their famous choreographer's work. Moreover, there seems to be a wealth of cultural and historical perspectives that are coming forward in this festival. Not only do we get the opportunity to see the classes and performances, but there is also an openess and accessibility to everything related to Bournonville that is simply breathtaking.
The company is looking great and the whole atmosphere is of celebration and joy. There is the preservation of a heritage at display, but most importantly there is an opportunity for all of us to see how a heritage can be brought alive by the careful handing down and the questioning on how to do this while keeping it all alive for twenty-first century audiences and dancers.
The only problem is actually finding some time to even eat between all the different events and activities!!
Reviews of the performances and classes will be posted shortly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next