public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crisis at the Mexican Heritage Plaza in San Jose
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:26 am 

It's all about the location... There are several I know who are uncomfortable venturing into that part of town alone:

Quote:
Shadow of debt

By April Lynch
San Jose Mercury News

Six years after San Jose's Mexican Heritage Plaza proudly opened its gates, the city's $36.5 million tribute to its founding legacy faces its toughest act -- starting over. more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:16 pm 

Azlan, read that article again. It's much less about location, much, much less and more about bad management.

This statement leaves me speechless(and quite angry):

Quote:
A $1 million state grant, awarded more than two years ago to upgrade the plaza, has yet to yield a dime because officials have not yet sent the required paperwork to Sacramento. Two smaller grants have been mismanaged or lost entirely.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:53 pm 

DavidH, you're right. This was the gist of my contention:

Quote:
Neighbors pass by without strolling in the plaza gardens, unsure if they are still welcome. Is the plaza a true community center for their Latino working-class neighborhood? Or is it a high-end arts facility more interested in patrons from the entire Bay Area?

In addition to what you mentioned, they've also badly managed the identity of the venue: the structure is too high-end for the local community; and the neighborhood is too "low-end" for the arts or "high-end" community. That place looks deserted outside even when there's a full house inside -- it's not inviting to anyone.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:14 pm 

It ain't rocket science is it? But most go at it as it was.

Get some commnity events going....lots of music, park some taco trucks outside (there are GREAT ones on Intl. Blvd in Oakland) and invite the community in. Hell, I'd show up. My God, the latin community is huge - take advantage of it........lets storm the place Azlan! LOL

Profile E-mail