public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Regulating Cheerleading Decency - Is Dance Next???
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:31 am 

Has anyone else heard about this?

This past Tuesday the Texas House tentatively passed a bill that would ban sexually suggestive dance moves and regulate other school activities that might be considered too sexual in nature. The Bill was proposed by Rep. Al Edwards, D-Houston and here is a quote about how he described the vulgarity he is making reference to, "you'll know it when you see it."

If the bill survives another House vote, the measure will actually go to the US Senate.

I know this does not sound like too big of a deal for professional dance companies but this is a situation that I feel is very important to watch. The thing to keep in mind is that this bill was able to be passed in the Texas House because the argument of taxpayer dollars funding what is being accused as indecent worked. Many dance companies do get some funding from state and local government. Maybe not as much as in previous years but in this day and age dance companies need every dime they can get their hands on. With all the "Faith Based Initiatives" :roll: of our current administration this decision might lead to more and more government regulations for use of taxpayer dollars which will inevitably effect arts organizations.

Any other thoughts?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:50 pm 

Oh, dear. Have you seen that other topic about the cheerleading fracas in San Jose? Here it is:

http://www.ballet-dance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=996

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:03 am 

WOW, that video from the San Jose Cheerleading thread is something else, that old guy is pretty upset. I didn't think they were doing anything that suggestive. Additionally, SJSU is a state university, not a elementary school.

IMHO "Foot in the Door" laws are very scary and that is what this situation down in Texas with A. Edwards is looking like. Time will tell though, I wish they had a video clip from the Texas cheerleaders like the one from San Jose State.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:17 am 

I'd like to know specificly how they're defining "sexually suggestive".

That is, if they're defining it at all.

It seems to me that if the kids' parents are OK with their daughters and sons participating in such activities, it's not the government's place to interfere.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:27 am 

All I can say is walk in to a competition dance school sometime and watch 5/6/7 year olds dancing in this fashion. IMHO its horrific. The college level is one thing, but as I've reported on the other thread, high school dance teams (run by phys ed teachers!) are strutting their stuff in a way that doesn't compare with even the most contemporary of dance choreography. On the competition circuit it's all about winning, and we all know how easy it is to compromise standards in that kind of environment. At the high school level I have no idea what the parents could be thinking. For the most part they must have no idea what's going on.

End of rant!

D
:roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:38 am 

Quote:
All I can say is walk in to a competition dance school sometime and watch 5/6/7 year olds dancing in this fashion.

I agree. It's disgusting to see 10-year-olds dressed up like hookers and put on stage.

The studios should not do this. The parents shouldn't allow it

...But it's not the state's place to regulate it.

Profile E-mail