public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Age
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:41 pm 

Hi
I'm 14, and soon the be 15. I am greately interested in Ballet. When I was little, I was a bit of a tomboy so dance was always at the bottom of my to-do list, but now it is a great desire of mine to become a dancer.

I do no aspire to be a professional, only a dancer that perhaps the people around me will admire. How long, on average, do you suppose it would take, given I take 3 classes a week? I have a very high arch, so high in fact, it is disgusting, well to me at least. I am also 5'1". Are these good factors when considering possiblities?

-I DO NOT want to be a professional, only I want to be very good, technique-wise and dancer-wise. I am willing to put forth the dedication and time, I am just curious as to a timeline and would this be possible?

-Where should I start?

-Will I look like a moron there?!?!

-And lastly, do ballet teachers tend to frown upon late beginners? Will they have patience with me?

I know you get questions like this all the time, but I am still apprehensive as to how I would be recieved as a much older beginner dancer. Thanks!

P.S. FEEL FREE TO BE HONEST!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:02 pm 

Hi Kaia - GO FOR IT!

Your aspirations are entirely sensible and, with a little luck and a lot of perseverence, you will have fun and fulfillment. For instance, here in the UK there are a number of amateur groups providing pleasurable experiences to communities. In addition, you will gain lots of insights that will make your ballet watching more interesting.

I'll leave it to the teachers to answer your detailed points. However, I can't see where you live. So, to help us do say whether it's Trenton or Transylvania.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:54 pm 

Looks like Texas.

I would suggest you find a ballet school that teaches ballet with high standards. That usually means one that bills itself as "professional". Just remember that MOST of the kids at those schools will NEVER be professional dancers, so you will be in good company. With time and hard work, you can become a fine dancer. Just remember that any admiration you receive from others for your dancing will be dwarfed by the amount of work it takes to dance. There are easier ways to be admired.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:19 am 

Hi Kaia...Yes, definitely "go for it". Try to find a good school, as citibob suggests. A good teacher will not discourage any student who is enthusiastic and hard-working. We LOVE students with these qualities! The most important thing to "catch up" is consistency, even if only 3 times a week. Try to make those 3 classes regularly. After a year or so, you will really begin to feel your progress. This will inspire you to do more and more if you are truly enjoying your dancing. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:11 pm 

yes, there are MUCH easier ways to be admired. I had ballet lessons my entire childhood (about 15 years), and then took 6 years off. After re-started again about 2 1/2 years ago and I'm *just* maybe starting to look like a real dancer. It's an incredible amount of work, even if you have a "good" body and good teachers (I have both--and it's still really difficult). I rarely get to perform, and that is difficult as well. Plus there's the unending line of well-intentioned (but sometimes clueless) fellow dancers who are only too willing to point out your deficits.

That said, I haven't given up yet. I get so much joy out of it, and have learned a lot about overcoming fear, inhibition, and frustration. Even realized things about how I perform in my "day job".

Another HUGE bonus is the friendships you will find.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]