public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Malakhov in Japan?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2001 6:07 am 

I've heard that Vladimir Malakhov will be returning to Japan in August-September 2001. Anyone know if this is true?<P>Why doesn't he ever tour the rest of Asia? *big sighs* Looks like I'm destined to watch him through the small screen for the rest of my life.

Post subject: Re: Malakhov in Japan?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2001 6:26 am 
Shazna, which part of Asia are you from? I haven't heard, but I can ask my Japanese friends for you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2001 6:38 am 

Welcome to our board, Shazna - great to have you join us.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2001 6:56 am 

Basheva: Thanks for the warm welcome. Image<BR>May I say - you guys have done a wonderful job with this place.<P>Kevin: I'm from Singapore. I was hoping Vladimir Malakhov would come with last year's ABT tour but he didn't - I even called the tour promoter to find out why! Apparently Bocca and Malakhov are such big stars that their contracts don't require them to tour abroad with the company. <p>[This message has been edited by shazna (edited April 01, 2001).]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2001 7:27 am 

Hi shazna! Thanks for the compliment, it makes it all worthwhile.<P>Are you going to see Rambert in Singapore? They are there in the second week of April at the Victoria Theatre. <P>Here is a link to our topic on the tour including Brendan Faull's good humoured tour diary - lots about parties and sight-seeing, but not much dance.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000533.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000533.html</A> <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 01, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2001 12:54 pm 

When American Ballet Theater was here in the Southern California area back in December, Malakhov was scheduled to dance, but due to an injury did not....so I missed him, too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2001 12:03 am 

Unfortunately, no, I will not be able to see Rambert as their performance dates conflict with the start of my final exams. Which is a pity, because so few good companies ever come here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2001 7:47 am 
Shazna, I see. So maybe I shouldn't complain about the lack of good dance in Hong Kong. After all, things are only relative.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2001 3:32 am 

Kevin: I think Hong Kong has more opportunities than Singapore to see good dance performances, probably because Singapore is too small on its own for most major companies to stop over - ABT's tour here was the first after a long dry spell. I've read your review on Hong Kong Ballet and it seems that they are much stronger than our national company (Singapore Dance Theatre), as well as having a wider repertoire. Both seem to suffer from a lack of sufficient skill to perform full-length classical ballets though. Singapore Dance Theatre also apparently prefers to focus on modern and fusion dance, choreographed pieces by Goh Choo San, or other specially commissioned works. Classical ballet is usually restricted to the less dramatically challenging favourites such as Coppelia and Casse Noisette, though I do recall they have staged Giselle before. Last year's Romeo and Juliet was a version by Goh and, judging from the review, was a weak production with modified choreography to accomodate the dancers, as well as the introduction of a rather disconcerting new character to represent Fate. I prefer their mixed bills to the full-length performances, which are more difficult to sustain. Last year I was in Britain when Guillem was dancing Maguerite and Armand, followed by another RB production of Swan Lake, however I came back to London too late to watch the first, and had to fly home the day before the second. I still haven't recovered from missing the two performances yet!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2001 5:43 am 
Shazna, I am glad that you mentioned the Giselle of Singapore Dance Theatre. I remember that Chan Hon Goh, a principal of the National Ballet of Canada, guested in it. Did you see her?<P>I was told that Ravenna Tucker guested in the Romeo and Juliet last month as Lady Capulet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2001 4:55 pm 
This is the information re Vladimir Malakhov from my Japanese friend.<P>>NBS (Nihon Butai Shinko-kai) announced the Tokyo Ballet will perform Giselle starring Malakhov and Julie Kent in September.<BR>I'm not sure the date, but I guess they have two stages.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2001 4:58 pm 

I did not see Chan Hon Goh in Giselle, however I did see her dance in a commemorative performance for Goh Choo San. I recall she was an extremely beautiful dancer, by far outshining her partner in the pas de deux. <P>I can't remember if Ravenna Tucker was in Romeo and Juliet but I believe she was giving some dance workshops in Singapore last year so it's highly probable. Nice to see someone taking an interest in Singapore's dance scene. <p>[This message has been edited by shazna (edited April 03, 2001).]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2001 5:04 pm 

Kevin, looks like we're on at the same time. Image<P>Thanks so much for the information. If there's one role I want to see Malakhov in, it's Giselle. I've heard so much about his Albrecht. Now I'm wondering if there's any remote chance of going to Tokyo to see it! I have been told that with ABT, Malakhov is moving more into character dancing and choreography, so the chance of seeing him in a full-length classical ballet is becoming extremely rare.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2001 5:46 pm 
Shazna, if you need more information, please feel free to e-mail me privately.<P>I've seen Malakhov in Giselle with the ABT in New York several years ago. He's gorgeous as Albrecht. Maybe I should consider making a trip to Tokyo in Sept. to see him too!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 6:13 am 

Thanks Kevin. I'll mail you when I get back to my own 'puter this weekend.