public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bolshoi Ballet in New Zealand
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2001 5:03 am 

What gives...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Bolshoi's NZ tour treads on toes<P>PAULA OLIVER, New Zealand Herald<P>The country's arts fraternity is baring its claws again - this time over next month's tour by dancers from the Russian Bolshoi ballet.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/entertainmentstorydisplay.cfm?storyID=204556&thesection=entertainment&thesubsection=arts&thesecondsubsection=general target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bolshoi Ballet in New Zealand
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2001 5:10 am 

A very unpretty picture. I think the entire event - both events could have gained credibility, and strength by supporting one another. The Bolshoi could whet the local appetite for ballet, and vice versa.<P>One need not cancel out the other.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2001 9:06 pm 
I find Matz Skoog's comments about the Bolshoi very mean-spirited. When he takes over as the ENB director, he'll face more competition from the Russian companies in London.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 12:15 am 

I sent the NZ article to a Russian friend who has E-mailed me to say that it isn't the Bolshoi company that is touring NZ but the same group that toured the British provinces recently, led by Nina Semizorova and Mark Peretokin. If it is the same personnel, there will be very few Bolshoi dancers involved in this enterprise.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2001 11:24 pm 

<B>Late addition to line-up of Bolshoi stars</B> <P>By BERNADETTE RAE in The New Zealand Herald<BR> <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Galina Stepanenko, one of the Bolshoi's prima ballerinas, is a late addition to the Russian "ballet spectacular" which opens at the Aotea Centre on Saturday. So her name does not feature on advance programme information. <P>But Dennis Brown, whose company Event Entertainment is bringing the Stars of the Bolshoi to the South Pacific, promises two appearances by Stepanenko, who will fly in directly from guest appearances in Turkey. <P>The published programme includes the Pas de Deux from Sleeping Beauty, Act II from Swan Lake and Dying Swan, to music by Saint-Saëns, a dance made famous by Anna Pavlova, who performed it in 1907.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <A HREF="http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/entertainmentstorydisplay.cfm?storyID=217414&thesection=entertainment&thesubsection=arts&thesecondsubsection=general" TARGET=_blank>more...</A> <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited September 17, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 4:10 pm 

Hi all, this is a review that I did for the Auckland University publication. Due to space contraints (the arts section only gets 1 page), I couldn't be too detailed so I tried a different style of writing. I, of course, learned this the hard way - my Air NZ Gala review was reduced to a senseless heap of text by the editor Image<P>-----------------------------------------<P><B>Stars Of The Bolshoi</B> <BR>ASB Theatre, Aotea Centre.<BR>22 September 2001, 8 pm.<P>This much-awaited 13-city tour has been advertised as <I>Stars Of The Bolshoi</I>, but its big glossy (and typo-filled) programme bellows “A Gala Performance: Stars Of The Great Russian Ballet Companies” on the cover. It’s a bit confusing. Featuring principals from the famed Bolshoi Ballet, St. Petersburg Ballet and Russian Classical Ballet, as well as a corps de ballet of 21, the troupe’s travelling plans were apparently delayed by the recent terrorist attacks in the US, arriving in Auckland only several hours before this evening’s show. Sleep-deprived as they were, the ensemble nevertheless pulled off a brilliant performance that displayed “Russian courage and stamina at its best”. <P>The evening of classical excerpts went underway with <I>Festival of Flowers at Genzano</I>. Being unfamiliar with the Bournonville style, it’s hard to tell if the slightly plastic grins and abrupt head jerks were intentional or not, but Dmitri Bugaev and Irina Pyatkina were attractively buoyant in their footwork. This was followed by the pas de deux from <I>The Sleeping Beauty</I>, cleanly executed by Tatyana Shanina and Alexei Shanin. The first half of the programme ended with Act II from the Romantic classic <I>Swan Lake</I>, where Prince Siegfried meets the swans and falls in love with their queen, Odette. Mark Peretokin made a distinguished, yet odd-looking Siegfried with that helmet hairdo of his. Leading a group of 19 frothy white swans, Nina Semizorova, with her sharp and precise legwork, still played a convincing Odette at the age of 45. Unfortunately, the role of Rothbart, the evil sorcerer responsible for keeping Odette and her kind as swans, was reduced to a purple bird-like annoyance with too much eye shadow, rather than a menacing figure of unspeakable power.<P><I>Harlequinade</I>, performed by Anna Kostina and Bugaev again, came after the interval. Some might have found this particular selection rather puerile, but there was something endearingly flippant about this cheeky duet, coupled with Kostina’s multiple fouettés and Bugaev’s confident pirouettes in second position. The athletic Ruslan Pronin then burst onstage with <I>Gopak</I> - one minute of complicated leaps, jumps and turns - to a gasping crowd. Shanina and Shanin reappeared in <I>Esmeralda</I>, a typical pas de deux in most respects, except for its touching undercurrent of sorrow, especially in the way Shanina flung her arms downward and dropped her back in despair. Semizorova returned for her rendition of Mikhail Fokine’s <I>The Dying Swan</I>, which has become synonymous with the late Anna Pavlova. Heartfelt and beautifully performed, the soppy instrumentation of Saint-Saëns’ wistful music, however, did little to enhance this bittersweet solo. <P>Capping the show was <I>The Walpurgis Night</I>, a divertissement from the opera “Faust”. When extracted from its original context, it’s difficult to determine what the ballet was about. Nonetheless, it served as an excellent finale as Pyatkina, Peretokin, Pronin and a corps of loose-gowned maidens and half-naked horned men danced assertively to the rousing score by Gounod. <P>Despite the dubious lighting, severely inadequate sets, pre-recorded music of erratic quality, and the curious absence of Bolshoi star Galina Stepanenko, it didn’t stop large numbers of spectators from giving standing ovations at the end. Performing fearlessly even in the face of such technical limitations, the tireless Russians certainly deserved every bit of applause.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Malcolm Tay (edited September 23, 2001).]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 4:25 pm 

Thank you very much Malcolm for a most interesting review of the performance. May I ask where the Aotea Centre is? Auckland? Wellington?<P>Is the company going to tour?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 4:42 pm 

Hi Basheva,<P>Ooops, sorry, I should have been a bit clearer. The Aotea Centre is in Auckland, right in the city. An earlier post of mine, "Stars of the Bolshoi in New Zealand", mentions the 12-13 cities that the group will be touring. Apparently, they will also be performing in Australia.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 6:59 pm 
I wonder why Galina Stepanenko didn't join the tour in the end. <p>[This message has been edited by Kevin Ng (edited September 24, 2001).]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2001 4:24 am 

Review of the performance in The New Zealand Herald.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Stars of the Great Russian Ballet Companies at the Aotea Centre</B><P>BERNADETTE RAE, New Zealand Herald<P>They arrived in Auckland from Moscow after three days of intense and difficult travel, just hours before Saturday evening's opening performance, delayed by the crisis in the planet's troubled skies. Galina Stepanenko, the star with the biggest reputation, who had to travel from Turkey, did not arrive.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/entertainmentstorydisplay.cfm?storyID=218467&thesection=entertainment&thesubsection=arts&thesecondsubsection=reviews target=_blank><B>More</B></a></FO NT><P align=right><FONT SIZE="1" color="#800080" face="Verdana, Arial"></font></P><p>[This message has been edited by Malcolm Tay (edited September 24, 2001).]