public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AB: Natalie Weir's "Mirror Mirror"
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2000 6:46 am 

finally, a review of natalie weir's much awaited new work (her first full evening-length ballet) for the australian ballet...in case you can't tell, i'm a weir FAN! Image<BR> Image <P>this one by Jill Sykes for Sydney Morning Herald: <A HREF="http://www.smh.com.au/news/0006/19/text/features09.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.smh.com.au/news/0006/19/text/features09.html</A> <P>note this para about west australian/local graduate daryl brandwood:<P>"Above all, there is the performance of the night from Daryl Brandwood as the worker who falls in love with her (Snow White).<P>He has always been notable as a dancer, but this is the first major role I have seen him play, and he fills it with heart and character. This lifts the level of engagement with the piece, and helps Rhodes's characterisation blossom through an eloquent expression of her physical flexibility."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: AB: Natalie Weir's "Mirror Mirror"
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2000 10:32 am 

The sensuality of this work appeals to me. Is there by chance a URL for this company? I am interested in learning more about it and to review its season and tour schedule.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2000 12:10 am 

I certainly hope I get a chance to see this work, it looks so interesting. I'm also proud to note that Sarah Peace, a Canberra born and bred girl is getting the opportunity to play the Queen though she is still in the corps. ALthough according to a review I read, its thought she won't be staying in the corps for long...<BR>(But I still think Lindy would be tremendous in this role... Image I could be biased however - I do have a soft spot for the canberrans and Lindy is such a great representative of the ACT...)<P>I'll definitely be watching Sunday Afternoon with Andrea Stretton- there's an interview with Natalie Weir (@ 3:15pm)and hopefully we'll get a few tidbits from Mirror Mirror (fingers crossed its not the same interview they did just after Dark Lullaby...)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2000 9:50 am 

Katharyn, what is the ACT?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2000 5:44 pm 

Grace, thanks for the geography lesson. I have a question. Katharyn seems proud that Sarah Peace was born and bred in Canberra. Is this because, not being a Sydney or a Melbourne, it doesn't produce very many dancers? Are the arts concentrated in just the two major cities?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2000 8:34 pm 

Katharyn has left... I don't suppose we'll be hearing much from her anymore.. (well easy come easy go)<P>Grace, grace, grace, If I've told you once I've told you a hundred times, canberra is the "IT" place of australia.. we have grass.. we have trees.. we have a lake !<P>Azlan, its agreat thing that canberra has produced so many fine dancers because really we are just a tiny little city (300 000 people) in between the arts capital and.. well the olympic city. We constantly get overlooked (poor Canberra, nobody knows we're the nations capital!) - the national company the Australian ballet only comes here once every 2 years whereas it has numerous seasons every year in sydney and melbourne. Plus being so isolated it is harder for our dancers to study at the BIG schools. <P>And yes grace, it is july 9... Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2000 1:37 pm 

3,2,1,... here we go!<P>As a former Sydneysider, resident in Europe for 10 years (I admit to spending 10 years of my childhood in Queensland; but I used to go to class with Leanne Benjamin; my fellow Australians should know exactly what I mean!)-<P>Who cares who claims to be Australia's Arts capital - Actions speak louder than words.<P>To my fellow un-Australian friends - welcome to Australian 'K'ulture.<P>Actually the energy that comes from there is really quite something.<P>... by the way, if I were Katharyn; I might be a little p***** off. (big smiley!)<P>You don't have to go away, I'd be interested to know more about what's going on Down Under. <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2000 3:42 pm 

Okay, what I want to know is: is Moger implying that Canberra produces more dancers than the other cities? Is that possible?<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited July 05, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2000 9:19 am 

Hardly.<P>But, I really don't think it is an issue.<P>Wherever good dance is made, if it can bring something to people and if it is of real quality and depth, it is not important where it is first enabled to be performed.<P>It is excellence, imagination and commitment that is important, when you have that, a myriad of possibilities can arise.<p>[This message has been edited by Michael Montgomery (edited July 06, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2000 4:35 am 

Well I'm not implying anything... well.. except for maybe canberra is this secret little cornucopia of dance...<P>You just wait... our time will come... and we will REVOLUTIONISE the dance world<BR>muahahhaha!!!!!!<P>And grace, MELBOURNE?? BORING?? NEVER! Oh to live in such a vibrant city! The weather, perhaps doesn't reflect the grandeur of its shopping... But it IS the home of the Australian Ballet and Australian Ballet School. Not that I'm suggesting, of course, that the AB is the be all and end all of arts. <P>Oh my, this is all getting far too complicated. Because I can't really back up my (seemingly audacious!) claim I'll just retract the statement<P>Victoria- The Garden State.<P>Please susan, calm yourself. Red is such an unflattering colour for anyones complexion.<P>If Katharyn is reading I apologise for my rather abrupt treatment of your apparent departure... (Hey I was only reporting what i'd been told!)....<P>You'll have to excuse me for a week or so however, because I'm going to ... (oh I dread to say it now!!) .... Tasmania (i've been told they need 'fresh blood' every so often? whatever does that mean?? Image Image Image )<BR>However THATS a whole different story!!!!<p>[This message has been edited by moger (edited July 07, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 3:46 am 

I saw the premiere of Mirror Mirror in Sydney and it was an unusual experience -not as satisfying as most "Weir" experiences. <P>I think Natalie Weir will be like a good wine: she'll improve with age. Mirror Mirror was her first full-length ballet and it looked like a first. It was a mix between abstract and narrative (almost too figurative at times) and the interesting movement sometimes looked awkward. I do think Weir will get better with each new try though, as she has some interesting ideas when it comes to staging and an innate musicality. I've loved her abstract works so far and prefer to see her continue along those lines. But most of us need to try EVERYTHING before we know where we want to hang our hats, so to speak. <P>Good luck to her!

Profile E-mail