public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interview with Graeme Murphy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2001 6:42 am 

<B>Dance to the death</B><BR> <BR>Murphy's law: Dance supremo Graeme Murphy has vowed to retire if his work ever becomes formulaic or predictable. <BR>Graeme Murphy is totally devoted to his art, almost to the exclusion of anything resembling a private life, writes Sue Williams in The Sydney Morning Herald. <P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Talk music and movement, colour and choreography to Australia's lord of the dance, Graeme Murphy, and he could go on forever. Turn the conversation to his personal life, however, and there's a moment of awkward silence.<P>Finally, he spoke. "I have no concept of my life outside the dance," he said quietly.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P><A HREF="http://www.smh.com.au/news/0106/10/features/features10.html" TARGET=_blank><B>Graeme Murphy interview</B></A><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited June 10, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Interview with Graeme Murphy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2001 7:34 am 

Nice interview. I'm glad to hear Murphy is adamant about being fresh with his choreography.

Here is our own interview of Murphy: "Excuse Me I'm Not A Sausage Machine," an interview by criticaldance.com correspondent, Jennifer Leake.

And here is a previous thread on Sydney Dance Company: Sydney Dance Company Tours US

[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited June 10, 2001).]

(Basheva edited to fix url)

<small>[ 08-09-2002, 19:26: Message edited by: Basheva ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 7:25 am 

<B>The proteges</B><BR>By Jane Faulkner<BR>July 25 2002<BR>The Age<P><B>DAME MARGARET SCOTT AND GRAEME MURPHY</B> <P>Every great performer has a hero, or mentor who has given them courage and inspiration. Three of Melbourne's highly esteemed artists - Dame Margaret Scott in dance, Ronald Farren-Price in the field of music and Michael Kantor in theatre - have been mentors. The process, they agree, is priceless. Jane Faulkner profiles three unique relationships.<P><A HREF="http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/07/25/1027497372332.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A><BR>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:12 am 

Quote:
Looking squarely at the enemy - age

By SHARON VERGHIS
The Sydney Morning Herald

For more than six months, on and off, Graeme Murphy lived a life muffled by three layers of insulation. The Tasmanian bush, dead winter and deepest isolation, the elements that shaped his sabbatical away from the Sydney Dance Company, were amazingly restorative, he says - "something extraordinary happened there, [Janet Vernon] and I both felt reconnected to the land".

This week, however, he seemed like a man relieved to be back in the driving seat, darting from finalising contract negotiations with his 18 dancers to laying down the bones of a new work.
more

<small>[ 14 January 2004, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: mehunt ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:59 pm 

Thanks for this, kurinuku. I am looking forward to the company's return to the SF Bay Area in March.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:31 am 

Quote:
Murphy's Grand tribute

By JO ROBERTS
The Age
July 04, 2005

An "email work" - that's what Sydney Dance Company artistic director Graeme Murphy has dubbed his latest creation, Grand, which opened at the Sydney Opera House on June 1. The work has been so well received, says Murphy, that people "go straight home and email" about it.
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:26 am 

I went to Sydney for Graeme's farewell gala. I filmed many interviews (including Graeme, Janet, ex-Prime Minister Paul Keating and others) and rehearsals. Now I am trying to make a documentary on Graeme. Anyone interested in this project? thanks, jeff