public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stuttgart Ballet in Hong Kong
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2001 4:26 am 
Friday night saw a welcome return to Hong Kong by the Stuttgart Ballet who gave four performances of John Cranko's two-act "The Taming of the Shrew". The opening night was led by Yseult Lendvai and Maximiliano Guerra. (Guerra produced a new version of Don Q for the Stuttgart company earlier this season.) The first night audience clearly loved every minute of it, and it's a long time since I've heard so much laughter from a Hong Kong dance audience, as well as such loud ovations at the end. The last time such ovations were heard here were during the ABT tour last autumn after Angel Corella's performance in "Le Corsaire" pas de deux.<P>As Katherine, Yseult Lendvai was a sophisticated dance actress and extracted every emotional nuance from Cranko's choreography. As Petruchio Maximiliano Guerra was still in top form, and showed off his dazzling virtuosity. They were sublime in the several pas de deux, which contain lots of lifts as typical of Cranko's choreography. I was also impressed by the Kirov-trained Elena Tentschikowa who was totally ravishing as Bianca. She had beautiful footwork. <P>The second cast this afternoon was led by Sue Jin Kang and Robert Conn. Particularly noteworthy was Lucentia (Bianca's lover) danced by a young demi-soloist Ivan Gil Ortega. This tall and handsome dancer has a long and beautiful line and all the makings of a danseur noble.<P>In the press conference last Thursday, artistic director Reid Anderson mentioned about the 40th anniversary celebration of the Stuttgart Ballet in early November. The full details will be announced in Stuttgart in early June. The programme for the 9-day celebration will consist of new choreography as well as Cranko's ballets. <P>Reid Anderson also said he will be in New York in June to supervise the final rehearsals of ABT's "Onegin", as well as in London later to cast the Royal Ballet's production of "Onegin" next season.<P>By the way, I have a feature piece on the Stuttgart Ballet in this weekend's editon of "The Asian Wall Street Journal". I can't put down a link, because only subscribers can access the newspaper's website. But readers in Asia and Australia may buy a copy if interested.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Kevin Ng (edited May 20, 2001).]

Post subject: Re: Stuttgart Ballet in Hong Kong
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2001 10:54 am 

Kevin, thank you for your review. How as Suh-Jin Kang? I would love to hear more about her; I hear she is especially excellent in "Onegin."

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2001 2:05 pm 

Many thanks Kevin for the review. I have always wished that we could see more of Cranko's ballets in the UK. So I'm pleased to say that we will see the Royal Ballet in 'Onegin' next season.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2001 5:36 pm 
Thanks, Stuart and Terry. I enjoyed Sue Jin Kang's performance as Kate in "The Taming of the Shrew" yesterday afternoon, she danced and acted well. However I still slightly prefer Yseult Lendvai in the first cast, whom I found a more sophisticated actress. I was told that Sue Jin Kang has a big following in her native South Korea. She won the Prix de Benois in Stuttgart recently.