public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: South African Ballet Theatre 2004-5
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:28 am 

SWAN LAKE AT THE JHB CIVIC THEATRE

10 - 26 September 2004

The South African Ballet Theatre brings this timeless classic of love, betrayal and forgiveness to Johannesburg this September. 'Swan Lake' tells the story of a beautiful princess who has been transformed into a swan by an evil magician and who can only be redeemed from her plight by true love…

In 2001 SABT's 'Swan Lake' was the first production to be performed on the newly named Nelson Mandela stage at the Johannesburg Civic Theatre and this 'Swan Lake' season will be SABT's first full-length production at the Civic Theatre since taking up residence here in their new studios. The production is being staged by husband-and-wife team Louis Godfrey and Denise Schultze and SABT is delighted to announce that all the performances will be performed to live music - the beautiful Tchaikovsky score will be played by the Johannesburg Festival Orchestra.

The SABT is proud to announce that Dr Leslie B. Dunner, one of America's most acclaimed ballet conductors, will conduct the Johannesburg Festival Orchestra for this season of Swan Lake.

Dr Dunner's career spans an extensive repertoire and he is currently in his second term as the Music Director and Principal Conductor of the Joffrey Ballet of Chicago. He has conducted for major ballet companies throughout the world and makes a welcome return to South Africa, having previously conducted for PACT Ballet's production of 'Still Life' at the Penguin Café and a Balanchine Triple Bill, opera productions in Pretoria and orchestras such as the KwaZulu-Natal Philharmonic Orchestra, National and Transvaal Symphony Orchestras and now the Johannesburg Festival Orchestra.

South African-born Anton Labuschagne will partner Karen Beukes in this production. Anton attended the National School of the Arts in Johannesburg and has danced with CAPAB Ballet, Columbia City Ballet and the Miami Ballet. He presently resides in Florida, US.

<small>[ 15 September 2004, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: South African Ballet Theatre 2004-5
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:05 am 

Hi Jaded! Welcome to CriticalDance amd many thanks for telling us about these forthcoming performances.

Do let us know what is happening in South African ballet and dance whenever you get the chance.

<small>[ 15 September 2004, 05:06 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:54 am 

I will do for sure. There is another interesting ballet going out in December called Rock a Tutu... I just need to get the finer details and I will let you all know!

~*~C~*~
:p

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:20 am 

If it's OK with you Jaded, I'll change the title so that we can keep this topic running with the South African Ballet Theatre news and comments.

<small>[ 15 September 2004, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:51 am 

Cool beans no problem
~*~C~*~
:p

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:20 am 

I'm so pleased to find another South African Ballet Theatre supporter! I watch the company with great interest. Here's a link to information about the Rock-a-Tutu Christmas performance:

www.saballettheatre.co.za

Quote:
Rock-a-Tutu! The ultimate Christmas Cocktail!

Directed by Ian von Memerty!
Co-Written by Ian von Memerty and Thandi Brewer.
25 November - 19 December

Don't miss it - this ballet with a beat,
full of glamour 'n girls, rock 'n roll,
flying 'n fairy tales, laughter 'n loveliness.
Sleeping Beauty meets Shakira! Ray Charles takes on Rapunzel!
Claude Bessy is presenting a 4-day ballet seminar in Johannesburg (6 - 9 Oct.) for dancers, teachers and other interested parties. I'm an 'interested party', so I'm going!

Quote:
The Paris Opéra Ballet School has centuries of tradition but at the same time stands at the cutting edge of the newest trends and techniques in vocational ballet training for students. Miss Claude Bessy has been associated with the Paris Opéra Ballet School for many years and under her guidance as Director the School emerged as the world’s pre-eminent ballet training institution. The School forms the foundation of the world’s greatest ballet company, the Paris Opéra Ballet.

We invite all teachers and interested parties to join us for a four-day seminar similar to seminars Miss Bessy has given in ballet centres around the world. Using extensive video footage, Miss Bessy will explore the challenges of preparing young dancers for the professional ballet stage and share her vast knowledge and experience of training techniques, approaches to teaching young dancers and ways to apply the model of the Paris Opéra Ballet School to our circumstances.
Now all I need is someone who will tell me how Cape Town City Ballet is doing. I saw the company perform regularly while I lived in the Cape, but since I moved to Johannesburg I have lost touch with the company's progress.

<small>[ 04 October 2004, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Ostrich ]</small>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:56 pm 

Welcome Ostrich and many thanks for posting this information.

I do hope we can build on this new start with ballet in South Africa. But to be honest it will be mainly down to you good people in South Africa telling your friends to post comments and information.

<small>[ 04 October 2004, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:41 pm 

2005 GRADUATE AUDITION

The auditions for the SABT Graduate Programme will take place at 10:00 on Saturday 16 October 2004. The auditions are held at our ballet studios at the Johannesburg Civic Theatre, Loveday Street, Braamfontein. The audition will consist of an audition ballet class given by one of The South African Ballet Theatre management. You do not have to prepare any variations as such as the class allows the ballet master / mistress sufficient insight into the abilities of the participants. A studio will be available from 09:00 in to enable candidates to warm up beforehand.

Participants in the programme have to be 16 years of age by the time that they join the programme. We only require you to advise us of your intention to audition – in writing – with your contact details (phone/fax numbers and E Mail), contact details of your parent/s / legal guardian and detail of the last ballet exams that you have passed (classical as well as other training if applicable, eg contemporary).

On the day of the auditions we will require you to have a short CV on hand as well as pointe shoes for the ladies.

The Graduation Programme fees amount to R 1 500 per quarter.

The Graduate Programme offers young dancers an opportunity to work with a professional ballet company and at the same time study dance-related subjects. The course will expose the graduate to the world of the professional stage and professional dancers, lighting designers as well as design and costuming. Graduates will participate in classes, rehearsals and productions of high professional quality.

Graduates will study three subjects, History of Ballet, Anatomy and Child Psychology that will enable them to complete a ballet teaching course (examinations are optional) and will also be introduced to dance and movement therapy as a career option. The course also includes general office management and graduates will gain experience in public relations by dealing with the public and role-players in the ballet fraternity. At the end of the one-year course, The South African Ballet Theatre will evaluate the graduate’s progress and accordingly decide whether or not to offer the individual a contract. All graduates that successfully complete the course, will receive a certificate to this effect.

I trust that this will be of assistance to you and should you require any additional information or need to discuss any aspect, please do not hesitate to contact SABT on (011) 877 – 6898.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:44 pm 

Coming up in December at the Pretoria State:

The Nutcracker

The Nutcracker, a firm favourite in the classical repertoire, is traditionally performed during the festive season by most of the ballet companies in the world because of its wide-spread appeal, particular to children and families.

ROCK-A-TUTU!

Directed by Ian von Memerty!
Co-Written by Ian von Memerty and Thandi Brewer.

Don't miss it - this ballet with a beat,
full of glamour 'n girls, rock 'n roll,
flying 'n fairy tales, laughter 'n loveliness.
Sleeping Beauty meets Shakira! Ray Charles takes on Rapunzel!

When Pretty Princess Rose falls for the Hunky Huntsman Jeremiah, her step-mom Cleo, (the Queen of Denial) plots an evil plot with her wolfy boyfriend - Shaggy, but with the help of Granny Wanda and Red The Hood it all ends happily ever after.

The ultimate Christmas Cocktail!
This cool and 'cultcha'd' new ballet takes all those timeless fairy tales, turns them upside down and gives them the kiss of new life with a score of pop music that is guaranteed to get the whole audience dancing. Written and directed by 'A Handful Of Keys' and 'Big Band Blast' star Ian von Memerty for SABT, and choreographed by selected members of The South African Ballet Theatre, this is a ballet that is both magical and beautiful; with dazzling special effects; trendy clothes; and our beautiful dancers are sexier than you have ever seen them before. There's music to make your aggro teenage son happy, dresses to help your six year old daughter dream at night, beautiful girls to put a smile on your husband's face, real leading men to set your heart beating, wonderful stories to bring magic back into Granny's life - and something to send you out singing and smiling.

Ray Charles takes on Rapunzel.
Sleeping Beauty meets Shakira -
Its all about Magic AND Mandoza AND Mango Groove
Abba, Bryan Adams, Christina Aguilera.
Tutus and Tom Jones,
Flying and Fairground Attraction

Don't miss it - this ballet with a beat, full of glamour 'n girls, rock 'n roll, flying 'n fairy tales, laughter 'n loveliness.
Those evergreen stories given the millennium makeover.

Profile E-mail