public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Singapore Dance Theatre
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:59 am 

For some information on dance at The Esplanade's Opening Festival, please click here.

Kevin, it doesn't seem like info on the St. Petersburg Ballet Theatre's tour to Singapore is available yet – will post if I hear something. It's been ages since a Russian ballet company has visited Singapore.

shazna: National Ballet of China's <I>Raise the Red Lantern</I> has received rather mixed reviews, so it'd be interesting to see what kind of reaction Singaporean audiences would have.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:34 am 
Thanks Malcolm. Hope that the St. Petersburg company's tour to Singapore will materialise, and that you will get more Russian companies at the Esplanade in future.

I missed the Red Lantern by the National Ballet of China earlier this year, but I heard that it wasn't well received in China when it was premiered last year. It would be better if they tour Singapore with their beautiful production of "La Sylphide" mounted by Royal Danish Ballet director Frank Anderson.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:41 am 
I've now been informed that the Esplanade will host the St. Petersburg Ballet Theatre in mid-Dec. The company will perform Swan Lake from 17 to 23 December. It may be a good reason for me to see this new cultural complex in Singapore.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:51 am 

The Business Times review of SDT's <I>Reminiscing the Moon</I> by Boi Sakti, a special commission for the Esplanade Opening Festival:

Quote:
October 15, 2002
<B>Water buoys</B>

The water extravaganza and his choreography with it was the coup d'oeil - the general effect of a view - that brought Sunday night's audience to their feet in a gushing and warm standing ovation for the choreographer and the dancers. It was in this section also, one felt that the dancers finally 'settled' into the weightedness of the dance that was crafted on the realities of women who have been disenfranchised and oppressed.
<A HREF="http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/thearts/story/0,2276,60511,00.html?" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:14 am 
Not good news, Malcolm. The whole tour of St. Petersburg Ballet Theatre to Singapore in Dec. has now been cancelled altogether, according to my contact in St. Petersburg. Hope that those dates will be filled by another dance company.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:37 am 

Review of SDT's A Night of Passion.Love.Humour in the Nov/Dec 2002 issue of The Arts Magazine.

<small>[ 02 January 2003, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Malcolm Tay ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:40 am 

Preview of SDT's <I>The Red Shoes</I> in The Business Times:

Quote:
<B>Step into The Red Shoes </B>
Cheah Ui-Hoon, December 6

A full-length ballet choreographed by Petal Miller-Ashmole, The Red Shoes is about a dancer who has to choose between two loves - her love-life, and her career.

The ballet was first staged in 2000 here, and received good reviews. This time, it'll be performed in better technical conditions at the Esplanade, but Miller-Ashmole says the choreography remains the same.
<A HREF="http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/thearts/story/0,2276,66006,00.html?" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A>
(link available for 1 week only)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 8:13 am 

Review of SDT's Reminiscing the Moon from last year in The Arts Magazine:

Quote:
Reminiscing The Moon by Singapore Dance Theatre is a ritualistic work which drew a standing ovation from the audience. Conceptualised by director/choreographer, Boi Sakti, a feature is the successful collaboration of choreography, music composed by Donny Irawan, Pitterman, Syahrial and Ming Quay, lighting design by Tommy Wong and costumes by Mutmainah Soulisa. This is a delicate work full of imagery that challenged the technical possibilities of the new theatre - this facility enabled an artistic vision to emerge seamlessly resulting in a sensual and evocative work appropriate to the occasion.
Link is now dead

<small>[ 14 September 2004, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: Malcolm Tay ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:45 pm 

Quote:
Singapore Dance Theatre Esplanade Theatre, Singapore

By IAN SHUTTLEWORTH and KEN SMITH
The Financial Times
September 3, 2004

More than once the Singapore Dance Theatre's triple bill of contemporary dance works, gathered under the umbrella title Awakening, had me reaching under my seat for a remote control. If somehow one could have rearranged the tracking order so...
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Stravinsky Dances
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:59 am 

Did anyone catch Marie-Claude Pietragalla's Stravinsky Dances a few weeks back? What did they think of it? I've only just started exposing myself to contemporary pieces and am wondering what others who saw the dances thought of them.

Post subject: SINGAPORE SEASON IN LONDON MARCH 2005
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:14 pm 

I came upon this review.

Quote:
The Singapore Dance Theatre is an impressively well-schooled, cosmopolitan company of 22 dancers.

http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_05/apr05/gw_rev_singapore_phoenix_0305.htm
http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_05/apr05/old_gw_rev_singapore_dance_theatre,_phoenix_dance_theatre_0305.htm

[/quote]

Post subject: Ballet Under The Stars 30th July 2006
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:45 am 

An evening of mixed bill of classical work and new works by company members. This outdoor event began with a bring your-own-picnic-basket, followed by a hip hop act performed by a school of teenagers. Good effort for a first-timer performer one would say.
The main event, Singapore Dance Theatre's Ballet Under the Stars kicked off later than the published time. It was delayed for no rhyme or reasons for 20 minutes. It began with Petipa's Raymonda Act III. As stated in the given programme that the original choreographer was Marius Petipa, however, the choreography performed by the dancers were changed, and adapted. Of such, the Tarantella solo, performed by Chihiro Uchida, was changed, losing the demi character essence and quality in the use of epaulment. The stage was simply too small for the staging of this act. Dancers in the corp were struggling to avoid kicking their legs into each other's body, resulting in compromised limited dance expression.
The costumes were unflattering, and looked low-budget for a wedding act. The tutus were floppy and shapeless. Zhou Lin and Fu Liang took center stage as the main principal couple. Zhou Lin demonstrated assured technique, however, she was behind the music in most instances, and her interpretation as the leading Raymonda was a big disappointment. Her solo was technically challenged, however it lacked flavor and gusto. Fu Liang demonstrated strong and assured technique, showing off virtuosity and style. However, in general, the entire cast did not provide enough entertainment for this number. As an audience, it looked like the dancers were doing steps instead of dancing. Expressionless throughout a wedding number, that is simply unforgiveable unless clearly stated in Petipa's choregraphy.
Thierry Malandain's Dying Swan did it for me. The concept behind the piece was done beautifully. He approached Fokine's solo with a twist and modernism. He adapted 3 women, with 3 solos using the same music, but 3 different movement motifs, but still sharing the same theme and style. Natalie Clarke, Zhou Lin, and Sakura Shimizu, each dancer with different physicality, and style of moving looked splendid and priceless in their individual solos. This piece is quirky, soulful and yet meaningful.
Tan Yaling's Mozart was up next. In marking the 250th anniversary of the birth of the classical composer, Yaling created a piece where one dancer, Mohd Noor danced the title role, and 2 other couples. Mohd Noor performed his solo with confidence and ease. His movements were carefully crafted and he made the solo succelent and captivating.
Sakura Shimizu's Reflections of Dusk was a piece performed by 5 males and 1 female dancer. It was lyrical but the movement vocabulary was closely mirrored to the previous number, and the following piece, Robert Mills' Paradise Falling.
Singapore Dance Theatre is flooded with Chinese export dancers, with 1 female dancer who is native, and a couple of Australians and Japanese. It seemed apparent that the company's strength still lies in contemporary ballet works, and lack the strength and style of classical repertoires.