public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Australian Ballet Autumn 2000
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 2:48 pm 

A link to a Sydney Morning Herald piece by Valerie Lawson on the current discontent at AB: http://www.smh.com.au/news/0010/13/features/features9.html

Anyone care to comment further?

<small>[ 23 November 2003, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Australian Ballet Autumn 2000
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 8:30 pm 

The comdemning first line from the article:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>To paraphrase Phillip Adams's aphorism on Australian television, we have not had 38 years of the Australian Ballet but one year 38 times over.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Would our Australian friends care to elaborate?<P>The article seems to single out AD Ross Stretton as the man to blame, with his selfish and vindictive style of management. The man it seems lost respect among the dancers. If this is true, it does not bode well at all for the Royal.<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited October 18, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 12:24 pm 

Hi. This is my first post here. I found this today in the Sydney Morning Herald and noted you already had a topic going on the subject. Valerie Lawson reports that about 20% of the roster will be heading for the exits:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.smh.com.au/news/0010/19/national/national17.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.smh.com.au/news/0010/19/national/national17.html</A>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2000 4:20 am 

I wrote a similar thing on another message board, but for those who don't double over...<P>The latest 'Friends of the Australian Ballet Bulletin' reads that Geon Van der Wyst is taking up a Principal artist role with the national Ballet of Canada, Jane Finnie and Shane Placentino are also leaving (senior artists and leading soloist). I suppose for many of them, they have spent their whole career in Australia, with the Aus ballet and feel its time to explore other options. Most dancers take a stint away from the company, but come back later... (yes, i'm aware this is not an exclusive australian ballet situation, I'm just saying...). <P>However I don't have the inside story... My speculation is just that.. <BR>As for Lawsons article... I think it should be read with a grain of salt. Though it is food for thought...<P> Actually, there is a line(paraphrased) "Van Der Wyst was unhappy Ross wouldn't promote him" - sorry, but I think the reason for that is that Geon is the most overrated dancer and didn't deserve half of the roles he got...- I could get very nasty, but I'll Try Not To. And, in my opinion, Ross Has promoted dancers -Just look at 'the rank rocket' Madeleine Eastoe and Nicole Rhodes...<BR>However, I don't think this signals a great instability among the top ranks...<P>The BIG news is Justine Summers' retirement, but I think it was inevitable. Her reason (arthritis in her foot) is a problem that has plagued her for a long time and kept her out for a long time a few years ago. That said she will be sorely missed.<P>Of course, as an East sider, i'll contact my contacts and see what i can dig up. Image<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 1:54 am 

I think its really sad whats happening to the Australian Ballet, but i guess it gives newcomers a chance to go up in the 'ranks' instead of being stuck with the ones we 'know'. <P>Justine Summers retirement is a big shock. <BR>I would have liked to have seen her dance, before she retired as she is one of my favourite dancers. Image Does anyone know if she has already retired, or if she is still performing, and what is her last performance? As i am sure she is retiring soon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 1:03 am 

Good point Grace, I was thinking the same myself. If a director I wasn't partial to or whose choreography I had become bored with was about to leave, I would be hoping for a new and exciting change. And how wonderful not to have to move to find it. <P>Of course, there are times when we need to move, but it's hard to believe everybody leaving AB is at the point in their careers when moving on is more welcome than anything else. It does happen though, people seem to get the courage from each other to take the plunge. I guess only time will tell. <P>It seems noone in charge of AB is immune to wrotten media. Maina Gielgud was open prey, now it's Ross Stretton's turn. I hope, for David McAllister's sake, that his positive attitude keeps the Aussie media thinking positive.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2000 9:04 am 

I am encouraged by what Potter has written about Stretton. Sounds as though it could be, 'And the times they are a-changing' at the Royal. I suspect that a lot of the dancers, especially the younger ones, would enjoy performing more of the contemporary international rep, but I wonder if the traditional UK ballet audiences will enjoy it. <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited October 28, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2000 1:30 pm 

I saw the company in their "trilogy" (Kylian, Forsythe, Tharp) program last night and I must say I was impressed. The standard of the company is high. <P>I did wonder though, why, so few company dancers were utilized in the evening. Instead, some dancers just kept coming back for more. There are others capable of doing these roles. Maybe the dancers are leaving because they're bored. In fact, David McAllister did mention to me his intention to find better ways to work with more of the company at one time. <P>Just thinking out loud, I mean, on paper or is it "on screen"? <P>Irrespective of media speculation and large turnover, the company seems in good spirits - which is nice to witness.<P>------------------<BR>[This message has been edited by Jennifer]<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 10:56 pm 

Grace, that's weird. It looks like lack of planning was an issue? Is Stretton losing interest?

Profile E-mail